Start by marking “Between Allah & Jesus: What Christians Can Learn from Muslims” as Want to Read:
Between Allah & Jesus: What Christians Can Learn from Muslims

Between Allah & Jesus: What Christians Can Learn from Muslims

What would happen if Christians and a Muslim at a university talked and disagreed, but really tried to understand each other? What would they learn? That is the intriguing question Peter Kreeft seeks to answer in these imaginative conversations at Boston College. An articulate and engaging Muslim student named 'Isa challenges the Christian students and professors he meets ...more
Published February 12th 2010 by IVP Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Between Allah & Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Allah & Jesus

Don Bryant
Oct 14, 2011 Don Bryant rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam
Peter Kreeft is an all-time fav. He is a philosopher professor at Boston College, now near retirement or retired. I have read most all of his books, and there are scads of them, 50+. He grew up Evangelical but converted to Roman Catholicism in college. He continues to write in a way that hit most of the themes Evangelicals are comfortable with, and in fact writes for Inter Varsity Press, who never mention that he is Roman Catholic. That would be too much for a Protestant printing press. His usua ...more
Adam
Jul 22, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
As our world continues to shrink bringing more and more religious diversity into our communities, books like this are especially important to show us how we might dialogue with those who are of a different faith.

While most of the conversations in Kreeft's book are fictional, they provide a fairly good example of Krister Stendahl's three ground rules for inter-religious dialogue.

1. If you want to understand another religion, ask its adherents, not its enemies.

2. Don't compare your best to their
Taylor Bryant
Jun 16, 2013 Taylor Bryant rated it really liked it
I am currently taking the World Religions class with Professor Kreeft and my only concern with the book is the focus more on argumentative dialogue rather than making solid, uniform connections. Each chapter has a struggle and tries to tie off loose ends towards the end of each chapter's short story, however one needs to have an open mind in order to "listen" to the dialogue rather than take sides while reading the arguments.

I would urge other readers to enjoy this book for it has several enlig
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it
Interesting read. I was hoping to have my mind opened more to navigate the waters of Christianity vis-à-vis Islam. I think this book was a helpful first step to shed light on the valuable merits of Muslims from which Christians can learn.

I think it also helped me be more compassionate by stating things that should have been obvious, but weren't because of my own lack of critical thinking and unconscious double-standardizing.

Case in point:
"Please ask yourself whether you would like others to j
Mark
Jan 19, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
There's a lot to like here - a rational discussion of the differences & similarities between Christianity & Islam that is well-written & thoughtful. OTOH, the "characters" are stereotypes, which makes it difficult to get past the feeling that they're just mouthing their lines.

I also struggle with the view put forth by Kreeft's "hero" - the college priest - regarding salvation. (It's a bit too Rob Bell for my tastes - which is weird, because I haven't caught that vibe in Kreeft's othe
Tim Harris
Apr 12, 2012 Tim Harris rated it liked it
I was excited that someone had undertaken a fictional book that would debate the controversy between Islam and Christianity. Unfortunately the conversations seem very contrived. Their views are laid out poorly. It's not worth reading. If anyone knows of a book that deals with this issue in an intelligent manner please recommend it to me. Otherwise, I suppose I'll wait until Ravi Zacharias' book comes out (posthumanously).
Lucas Johnson
Jan 22, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it really liked it
Kreeft never deals in half-truths. He wants to overwhelm the strongest fortresses of the enemy, and provide comfort to those who have fallen into weakness. I was introduced to his radiance at an early age and the shards of light I remembered helped carry me through many encounters. If any questions about the conflict between Islam and Christianity remain after reading this book, then I suggest you keep asking them.
Saz Jibson Ryan
Mar 17, 2014 Saz Jibson Ryan rated it really liked it
The fiction-style approach to the book's topics effectively draws me in. The differences between Morality and Theology, Sexual Morality and Moral Ambiguity, Abortion and Compassion--Kreeft deals with items of varying opinion between Christians and Muslims in an objective light. He does this by creating conversations between a handful of characters like 'Isa, Libby, Evan, and Father Hareema.
Donna
Jan 28, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A different approach to learning about Islam from a Christian perspective that adds to other things I have read on the topic. I have the greatest respect for Peter Kreeft.
Dawn
Nov 13, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Very fair analysis of the tensions between Muslims and Christians from a noted Catholic theologian.
Edwin Siahaan
Edwin Siahaan rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Bryan Collins
Bryan Collins rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2010
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Veeler.Play
Veeler.Play rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2014
Cassius Rovenstine
Cassius Rovenstine rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Jim Baesler
Jim Baesler rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Gmn
Gmn rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2011
Catherine Dyan
Catherine Dyan rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2010
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Deacon Dennis
Deacon Dennis rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Kevin Ngo
Kevin Ngo rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Geoff Mackey
Geoff Mackey rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Stephen Bedard
Stephen Bedard rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • Citadel of God: A Novel about Saint Benedict
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Divine Intimacy
  • Spiritual Friendship
  • Bob Hope: My Life In Jokes
  • The Coherence of Theism
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, ...more
More about Peter Kreeft...