Start by marking “Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained and the Grace of God” as Want to Read:
Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained and the Grace of God

Pure Scum: The Left-Out, the Right-Brained and the Grace of God

An exhilarating faith life is a tricky business. But ask anyone who's sought after it--from the founders and members of Scum of the Earth Church in Denver to the apostle Paul, from whose letters the church took its name--and they'll tell you it's worth it. In Pure Scum Mike Sares, pastor of Scum of the Earth, takes us along a faith journey, telling the story of how a prett ...more
Published March 3rd 2010 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Pure Scum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Scum

Greg Michalec
Jun 21, 2016 Greg Michalec rated it really liked it
The story of Mike Sares and Scum of the Earth Church (SOTEC), a Denver based church that, as is told, was the main home church of Five Iron Frenzy during much of their heyday. For fans of the band, there are several interesting background stories here, but this is much more than a FIF documentary.

The church name, based on 1 Corinthians 4:13, is certainly attention-grabbing and indicative of its outside-the-typical-Christian-box approach to church. This book relates the mindset and very intention
Bob
Jul 01, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
The title is an attention grabber for sure. But paying attention to the narrative of Scum of the Earth church is well worthwhile. Why would you ever name a church "Scum of the Earth?" Sares had good biblical reasons. 1 Corinthians 4:13b says, "We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment" (NIV).

The book interweaves a narrative of Sares own journey that led him from Toledo, Ohio to the Capital Hill district of Denver and to ministry with the "left out an
Mark Archibald
Oct 28, 2015 Mark Archibald rated it it was amazing
Exceptional read doubles as a memoir and a significant guide for church planters and ministering to those who slip through the cracks. Plus lots in the story about one of my favorite bands, Five Iron Frenzy! Entertaining, heartbreaking, gentle kick in the butt.
Carla
May 04, 2013 Carla rated it it was amazing
My son Sean told me about one of his favorite bands Five Iron Frenzy. I looked them up on the internet and them and this book they play a large part in: author Mike Sares was their pastor. He writes the real, the gritty, the heart-wrenching & the heart-felt knowing "we are continuously converted. I repeat: we are continuously converted. We are always broken, so therefore we continuously converted."
Karen
Nov 02, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
this is a book written by the pastor of a local Denver church, Scum of the Earth Church. About the struggles, joys and God's grace in serving the homeless and people who are thought of as the misfits, on the fringe, the right-brained and the left-out - the people I deal with every week!
Doug Dale
Mar 03, 2012 Doug Dale rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
An interesting and personal look at the blessings and challenges of having a church that offers the 'left-out' a place to experience the grace of God. Certainly good lessons for all of us here.
Dave Intlekofer
Apr 29, 2012 Dave Intlekofer rated it really liked it
Very good book about the founding of an alternative church. I really enjoyed the pastor's view of evangelizing and his deep relationships with groups of people who typically are "unchurched."
Dean P.
Apr 27, 2010 Dean P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Engaging, transparent, humorous and thoughtful. Full review here: http://dsimmer.com/2010/04/26/pure-sc...
Jacquie
Sep 01, 2013 Jacquie rated it liked it
Interesting. Could have used a few more stories though.
John M.
Oct 12, 2012 John M. rated it really liked it
Wake up call for the religious church set.
Mike
Aug 11, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok
meh
Jovis
Jovis rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Grace B
Grace B is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
Clinton Rapp
Clinton Rapp is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Victoria Rose
Victoria Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Bryan Kane
Bryan Kane marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Joe Summers
Joe Summers marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Fathergj
Fathergj rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Andy Bond
Andy Bond rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jay Bonnell
Jay Bonnell rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Luke Hillier
Luke Hillier rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016