Start by marking “If You're Happy and You Know It” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
If You're Happy and Yo...

James Warhola

If You're Happy and You Know It

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Get ready to stomp your feet, flap your wings, and scratch your fur! A fun sing-along safari.
Published December 31st 2007 by Scholastic (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about If You're Happy and You Know It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Happy and You Know It

Kathy Gunn
(2007)

Get ready to sing along with this jungle version of a classic, "If You're Happy and You Know It!" What fun! Ger ready to stomp your feet, scratch your fur, give a roar, flap your wings, and beat your chest.

Themes: Jungle animals, sing-a-long, participation

Ideas: After reading through the pages, follow along to the words and sing the whole song and get ready to act it all out and have fun!

Come up with a new set of animals and create a new version of the song to sing together. (farm animals)
Whitney Roberts
"If You're Happy and You Know It" is a great retelling of a classic song into book form. I love that it takes a song most young children know and gives the ability to tie it to a book. While the song is sweet, it is really important that children develop a connection to books at an early age and I think this book provides a great way to do that.
Libby
A basic take-off of the "If You're Happy and You Know it Song." What my family particularly enjoyed is the story around the words--two kids go to a jungle-themed playground and the animals on the playground equipment come to life one at a time. Of course, the mother in the story does not notice. The body of the book just has the first line of each verse (and we didn't actually sing it most of the time), but complete song lyrics are included in the back. Besides the fun additions to the familiar ...more
Dana Pressnell
Cute jungle version of the song written by Andy warhol's nephew. Cute illustrations
S.K.
It's a popular kids song redone. I had to read the entire song AGAIN on the last page! My kids weren't going to let me skimp on that last page. Oh no...so, I was hoarse by the time I was done.

That being said...my kids went through the motion and appeared to love every minute of it. Although on that last page, one of my kids interjected, "How much longer?"
Beth
This book is really cute to read and act out with young children!
Doing all ten of the actions is tough! Try the following and all at the same time.
1) clapping hands
2) stomping feet
3) scratching your fur (this is the jungle edition of the popular song)
4) roar
5) flap wings
6) laugh
7) beat your chest
8) jump
9) crawl
10) blink
Elaine
A great book based on the class song "If you're happy and you know it." Kids can sing and follow the pages (reading!) of what to do next according to what the animals do. Catchy and fun. The ending of the story was a wee bit abrupt so it might be a good idea to continue the last part of the song like the beginning "clap your hands" to conclude.
Nicholle
Just used this book in storytime today, and it was a hUGE hit - the kids new the song well, but loved the new lines, and practicing their "roars" and "scratching their fur" like monkeys. The illustrations are really fun, and images were large enough to share with a group. Will definitely use this book again!
Dana
This version gets a bit long and I typically start singing solo about halfway through, but the kids still participate on the action, be it squeaking or jumping around, so it's usually worth it. A fun twist on an old familiar storytime song.
Jackie
If You're Happy and You Know It: Jungle Edition is a slightly more extended version of the original song, which include jungle sounds and actions.

Used for "An Actor's Life for Me!: Sing, Act, Dance" Storytime- October, 2010
Elizabeth S
The images of the animals joining in with each other are absolutely priceless. Where else can you see an elephant and tiger and monkey all joining the bird for the "If you're happy and you know it flap your wings" verse.
Danielle Simmons
This book was very colorful and upbeat. A day at the zoo turned out to be a fun rendition to the classic If you're happy and you know it. I think this would be fun to read to your class and then sing it out loud. Semester II
Amanda
Very fun variation on the song. It says "Jungle Version" on the cover. We had lots of fun singing it and doing the motions, although it was hard at the end when you had to flip pages to "do all".
Andrea
A fun book that puts a different twist on the song by the same name. If you look closely, you'll notice a clue about what animal will be featured on the next page. Great for active kids!
Jessica Reichard
My children love it and its so funny to see them try to do all the things that you need to do. I like to sing it and they sing it back
Leah
Lots of animals, known and unusual, and lots of action to get the kids moving. Would likely abbreviate as on the longer side.
Hilary
We checked this out from the library and I had to eventually buy it because my boys went crazy for it.
Caroline
A fun variation of the popular songs. Great for animal themes and movement activity.
Christina
The children really loved this one - especially performing the animals' actions.
Heather
Its a jungle theme and its a big hit with the kids at my outreaches.
Nancy
It's all if you're happy and you know it, what about other emotions?
Catherine Clancy
Great book to read with kids and do the actions with
Nichole
Jul 17, 2009 Nichole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1-3 year olds
This book gets you on your feet! My 2-year old loves it.
Corinne
Kids love moving around and singing along to this one.
Stefani
So much fun to act along with the book!
Suzanne
A great story time book!
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Ragen Howey
Ragen Howey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Big Fat Hen
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Clip-Clop
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
James Warhola is an American artist who has illustrated more than two dozen children's books since 1987. Prior to that, he illustrated science fiction and fantasy paperback covers. His paintings are showcased in the permanent collection of the Warhola Museum in Medzilborce, Slovakia, a museum devoted entirely to the work of artists in his family.

A native of Smock, a coal-mining region in Fayette
More about James Warhola...
Uncle Andy's: A Faabbbulous Visit With Andy Warhol Uncle Andy's Cats A Night in the Lonesome October Bubba, The Cowboy Prince If You Hopped Like A Frog