Start by marking “Too Pickley!” as Want to Read:
Too Pickley!

Too Pickley!

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Too wrinkly, too squishy, too fruity, too fishy!

It's lunchtime, but our fussy little boy does not like a single item on his plate. What is a boy to eat?

Reidy's playful rhyming text is once again brought to life by Leloup's stylish bold art. Parents (and children) will love the hilarious antics the boy goes through, and the reassuring joy at the end of all that kitchen-tabl
Published July 6th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Too Pickley!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Pickley!

Crystal
I thought it was good until the ending. What, exactly, did he enjoy eating? We are not shown that.
Heidi
Cute but I prefer "Too Purpley." I think because I can enjoy a picky dresser better than I can a picky eater. Plus, our copy smells like a skunk got to it, so I could not really get close to it to enjoy looking at the pictures. I'm sure it's great and I will recommend it for the fun of it--just perhaps not the copy I read! Will work in a storytime--perhaps the food one I have coming up. Could be a lot of fun pretending to eat all of those foods and making our "too" faces. I just can't do so with ...more
April
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review by Children's Literature says, "The winning team that addressed the frustrations of the fashion-fussy in Too Purpley! returns here to catalog the complaints of the picky eater. After first bellowing, "I'm hungry!" the little boy narrator rejects a variety of food offerings as "too wrinkly" (raisins), "too squishy" (a plump tomato), "too slimy" (snails), and "too slurpy" (soup). Other foods are rejected for their fruitiness, fishiness, stringiness, crunchiness, sticki
Meredith
Cutely illustrated, however, I don’t know if it is a particularly good idea to give a child a vocabulary arsenal with which to be a picky eater. Although the final page ends “So yummy! All done,” the picture of the empty plate gives no clue to as what the child actually was willing to eat.
Kayla Eklund
Too Pickley is a cute children’s bored book. The little boy in the story is a very picky eater. Everything that gets set down in front of him, he finds fault with. I am sure some children and parents can definitely identify with this. Some of the words are silly and made up, which is guaranteed to get a chuckle out of a child. I like that the book rhymes. Books that rhyme usually hold children’s attention longer. The hamster that is with the boy in every illustration makes me laugh. In the end, ...more
Peacegal
A picky child rejects an absurd variety of foods in rhyming text.

Veg*n parents note: "Too fishy" shows an enormous fish sitting on a plate.
Vy
I received this book in a First Reads Giveaway and it arrived just as my 4-year-old was making a fuss and insisting on *no sauce* for her spaghetti. Having a new book snapped her out of it! She read it and laughed at the picky little boy who searched and searched for something eat, turning down things that were too fizzy or gooey or pickley. The pictures are charming. The text is simple--just right for a beginner reader but also fun to read out loud to your child. I wish I could say that the boo ...more
drowningmermaid
The illustrations are great, as usual, but it seems (from my experience) to encourage picky eating. Too picky.
Ariel Cummins
This little boy doesn't want anything that's too too -- too burpy, too sticky, too freezy! Eventually, though, he manages to find something that's too yummy to resist!

These computer-generated illustrations look a little too slick for my personal tastes, but they're quite well done. The boy and his (hamster? bear?) friend have excellent expressions on their faces, and their food is identifiable and silly.

This book is really short and the rhyming text would make it a great read aloud for a food st
Nydia Munoz
This book is great because it teaches children that there is nothing wrong with having an opinion about certain foods. It also teaches children that if you do not like something you can go on to the next food. It teaches children how to voice that opinion like saying that it was too spicy or too cheesy.

Learning Extension: Let children pretend or bring in food and let them express themselves on how the feel about the new foods.
Hilary
I know I'm in the minority here, but this just didn't work for either of us. As the adult, I found the boy's expressions entertaining, and the hamster very cute, but was confused by the end, even going back to make sure I hadn't skipped a page which explained what the boy had eaten. The child wasn't impressed either. I'm only giving it 2 stars because of the hamster!
Jayna
All ages

All of the food a little boy is given is not up to his standards, it is too greeny, too wrinkly, too squishy, or other offensive state. Eventually the boy is able to find something that is just yummy.

This would be a good book to point out what words mean as you read them. You can also talk to the children about why like and don't like certain foods.
Tricia
Got excited at this title because of my awesome pickle storytime...thought it would be additional fodder if I ever work again. Alas, only one line was pickle-related but this didn't detract from the fun to be had as a picky eater deems all food "too this" or "too that". Illustrations are vital to the enjoyment of the story.
Angie crosby
At first this book was cute, but the ending was terrible. The child is supposed to be eating and says everything is too mushy, etc. By the end he has eaten all the food on his plate. How is that possible? His parents gave him one bite of everything? Makes no sense to me.

Troy liked the pictures.

Julie Hedlund
My 5 year-old son has a very discerning palate (that's writer-speak for picky eater). He loves this book because he can relate to it so much. Unlike other reviewers that didn't like the ending, I love it because it implies that he ends up trying a lot of different foods. The rhyme is adorable too.
Bridget
Absolutely charming. A very easy read that makes my kids laugh out loud everytime we read it. They like noticing the details in the pictures. Great find!

Will's present for doing well at his first day of 1st grade today!

This is on the hardcover shelf.
Amy
Very cute illustrations and lots of color help tell all about the picky eaters in this story. My children and I all loved this story and we've already read it many times! It's a favorite and will continue to be for a long time. Too fun!
Boni
Fun read-aloud for toddlers, but it ends rather abruptly, with no apparent segue from the child refusing to eat everything page after page to the last page where he licks his plate clean. Great for a unit on adjectives/rhyming though.
Megan
4 1/2 stars
A picky eater rejects foods for various reasons: (too sticky, too squishy, etc.). Simple and cute. My only complaint is that the last page shows the child finally eating, but it doesn't show what food was finally acceptable!
Amanda Coppedge
I use this book as an example of a great picture book when I do writing workshops at my library. :) I also gave a copy to my friend's kids as a gift and her three year old reads it over and over and absolutely loves it. Excellent!
Kayla
I thought this was an okay book. It shows the struggles of feeding a child. Children can be picky eaters. I'm not sure if I would read this to children, but they may enjoy reading it to themselves.
Ina
The ultimate picky eater yells that he is hungry and then describes all the things he will not eat and why he will not eat them...Great illustrations had the kids at storytime laughing out loud.
Donalyn
A young boy turns up his nose at various foods because they are "too fruity," "too fishy," "too pickley," and so on. A fun book for teaching adjectives or sharing likes/dislikes.
The Library Lady
So what DOES he eat in the end?
And while older kids may chuckle, do you really want books that show kids being this picky?
Besides, I LOVE pickles....
Tara
Know a picky eater? This is a fun book for them because no one is as picky as the little boy in this book! Fun illustrations accompany the simple text.
Susan Erhardt
Very cute rhyming book reminiscent of "Old Hat, New Hat". I'd have given it 5 stars, but I got to the end and said, "Huh? What exactly did he eat?"
Scottsdale Public Library
In a book that's great for fussy toddlers, a child rejects all sorts of food until finding the one that's just right.

-- Monty K.
Joanna
I love love love the cover of this book but the insides were disappointing. Too garishly illustrated, not clever enough.
Jen
Not a fan. It promotes picky eating and the resolve should have been you don't know how it tastes if you don't try it.
Ashley Wesner
Love it! Too cute. Definitely a great read for picky eaters out there with a surprisingly great ending.
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
  • Meeow and the Pots and Pans
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Lovabye Dragon
Too Purpley! All Through My Town Light Up the Night Time Out for Monsters! Too Princessy!