Start by marking “Daisy-Head Mayzie” as Want to Read:
Daisy-Head Mayzie

Daisy-Head Mayzie

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,333 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
When a daisy suddenly sprouts from the top of Mayzie McGrew's head, she is faced with her classmates' taunts, her parents' dismay, and a publicity agent's greed. How poor Mayzie learns that love is more important than fame and fortune makes an endearing morality tale for our time--and for all ages. Narrated by the Cat in the Hat, Daisy-Head Mayzie is vintage Seuss!
Published January 11th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Daisy-Head Mayzie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy-Head Mayzie

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Dr.Seuss
26th out of 62 books — 54 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Books You Read and Loved When You Were Little
67th out of 196 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Oct 14, 2015 Patrick rated it did not like it
Years before I had kids, I taught a class on children's literature. In preparation for that class, I went out and bought copies of every Dr. Seuss book ever written.

Since then a decade has passed. I've had kids and read many Seuss books to both of them, many many times.

So imagine my surprise when I was looking through our bookshelves today and there, among all the Seuss, I saw this: A Seuss book I don't remember *ever* reading.

So I pulled it down and started reading it to my youngest boy, Cutie.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Shelly
Jun 23, 2011 Shelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Of course I read this as a teenager, and I'm sure I loved it then, but I just re-read as an adult and it didn't dazzle me or excite me like I expect Dr. Seuss books to do. It was cute, but not cute enough for me. This sounds like a silly complaint, but it had tons of words, lol! Usually Dr. Seuss books are a little long, but each page is kind of short and sweet, kind of a little poem to itself almost. This didn't feel that way to me. The illustrations were good, but I think what I love about Dr. ...more
Suzanne Moore
I read this to first graders in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. They thought it was definitely strange to have a daisy growing out of the top of your head! Funny, I remember making daisy chain crowns as a girl to put in my hair.

After the teacher, principal, Daisy's parents and practically the whole town try to figure out what to do about it, Daisy becomes sort of famous for having this exceptional feature. It is soon obvious that money can't replace friends, and life at the top is lonely. When Ma
Giselle Avina
Nov 08, 2012 Giselle Avina rated it really liked it
I grew up with this book and it is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books ever! I love how each of his stories seem to have a profound social issue within them, in this case it was about a girl who forgot about her family and friends through the excitement of fame and fortune because of her strange "daisy head" condition. She eventually realizes that nothing is more valuable than her loved ones at home, and as a result the daisy disappears- only to reappear on occasion. The book's rhymes are enterta ...more
Prathiba
Apr 12, 2016 Prathiba rated it liked it
Good read for children
Steph
Apr 25, 2015 Steph rated it did not like it
What?!!?!??
Kathy Davie
Apr 24, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
A standalone story about appearances, celebrity, and they love me, they love me not

My Take
As I started reading, I suddenly thought of parental admonitions about washing behind your ears lest potatoes start to grow, lol. Hmmm, makes me wonder if Mayzie has been washing her hair!

Seuss has done a beautiful job of rhyming the story and the children's dialogue. It makes you want to sing along as you read. The illustrations are lively in softly bright colors.

I like the principal's office. All those l
Ayanna Siders
Sep 16, 2014 Ayanna Siders rated it really liked it
This is a classic Dr. Seuss book. Mayzie is in class one day when a flower grows spontaneously from her head. This book shows her journey through fame and loneliness and everything in between. It covers everything from self acceptance, to untrustworthy individuals, to the importance of family.

This book is definitely more author centered, but there are some illustrative characteristics that are worth noting. For example, Mayzie's parents are not shown representing the typical gender roles. Her m
Alex Martinez
May 03, 2015 Alex Martinez rated it liked it
This story by Dr. Suess is about a girl who one day has a daisy sprout out of her head. Everyone freaks out and tries to get rid of it, but they soon realize that Mayzie and the daisy are interconnected so closely that whatever happens to the daisy will happen to Mayzie. Everyone tries to help her out, but it is only Mayzie that can get rid of the daisy. And she did, but every once in a while the daisy makes another appearance.

This book is a really fantastic book. The pictures are so detailed,
Julie Decker
Aug 15, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
Mayzie sprouts a Daisy from her head one day. No explanation, no apparent provocation; it just happens. She and the people in her life try to get rid of it, but it keeps coming back, and then when the media gets a hold of her she becomes a star. But that's not what Mayzie wants. What will she do?

The whimsical silliness of Dr. Seuss is present in the flower-sprouting girl, but when Mayzie longs for her former life, you don't really get a sense of why. What does she miss? What is she denied now th
Ana
Jun 04, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Baca sepintas, tentang sebuah bunga Daisy yang tiba-tiba tumbuh di kepala seorang gadis bernama Mayzie. Fenomena itu kemudian menjadi kehebohan dan diperbincangkan oleh semua orang.

---edit----
setelah browsing, ternyata ilustrasi di buku ini bukan dibuat sepenuhnya oleh Dr. Seuss. Karya ini dipublikasikan setelah Dr. Seuss meninggal, ditemukan dalam bentuk draft yang kemudian oleh keluarganya diputuskan untuk dipublikasikan dengan penambahan ilustrasi dan jalan cerita. Err..pantas saja sepertiny
Melissa Frentsos
Jun 02, 2014 Melissa Frentsos rated it did not like it
This book had a good message IIRC. However, the image of a daisy growing out of a girl's head, and then the girl letting the fame she ended up getting get to her head to the point she didn't care about anyone but the fame... among other things that I've now forgotten but know I didn't like about the book... Well, personally, even if it's true that it's stupid to let things get to your head, most young children wouldn't even really be able to relate to it. Most children do not even get famous lik ...more
Jason
Feb 09, 2015 Jason rated it it was ok
I'm kind of thinking maybe there was a reason Seuss didn't want this published. The story feels rushed and uninspired, and the rhyme meter is terribly inconsistent. Here and there you catch glimpses of what "feels" like Seuss, but the rest is trying too hard. I kind of wonder if the manuscript was more incomplete than they're letting on, and someone else did some of the writing to fill in gaps. I could probably look it up, but I don't care enough about it.
Robin
Feb 12, 2016 Robin rated it did not like it
Audrey Geisel should be ashamed of herself. She sold out the Seuss name. While some of the rhymes may have been from the good Dr., this comes off like a draft and is not his usual high-quality work. Next, the full-color artwork is deplorable. Seuss always used a minimal palette. Seuss was an original but the illustration of Finagle the Agent is a blatant ripoff of Al Capp's Evil-Eye Fleegle. We're not stupid, but Audrey is definitely greedy.
Shayla
Jun 23, 2015 Shayla rated it liked it
This book is about a girl who one day has a daisy sprout out of her head. Everyone freaks out and tries to get rid of it, but they soon realize that Mayzie and the daisy are interconnected so closely that whatever happens to the daisy will happen to Mayzie. Everyone tries to help her out, but it is only Mayzie that can get rid of the daisy. And she did, but every once in a while the daisy makes another appearance.
This book is a really fantastic book. The pictures are so detailed, and they fit w
Swankivy
Jun 10, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok
I read this while working in a bookstore, surprised that there was a Dr. Seuss book I hadn't come across before. (Turned out it was not published when I was a kid.) It was about a little girl who, for no apparent reason, has a daisy sprout from her head one day. It actually kind of disturbed me because of all the attempts to get rid of it not working out for Mayzie. The whole thing just kind of made me uncomfortable. It's also sort of amorphous how Mayzie gets swept away in a life of fame after ...more
Sassy
There are plenty of Dr. Seuss books that I have not read. Like many authors I like, I've challenged myself to read all of them.

Daisy-Head Mayzie is special though. I never really liked her story. I distinctly remember reading it and never finishing more than half, even as a child. It's too busy, there is a whole lot going on and the people are freaking out waaaaay too much about a flower growing out of a little girl's head. It's wordy.

Even reading it this time around (and finally finishing) I
Shelby L.
Apr 06, 2015 Shelby L. rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Dr.Seuss books!!

When I was a little girl my mom always used to read this to me and I have loved it ever since. Now as a future educator I can't wait until Seuss week so I can share this book with my students.

Most Dr.Seuss books don't actually tell a story, but this one does. It tells a story while still having a rhyming theme to it. I would definitely use this book for younger classrooms because it has such a young student aspect to it. I also think it would be a great book
Tracey
Jul 08, 2016 Tracey rated it really liked it
Poor Mayzie McGrew suddenly had a daisy sprouting right out of her hair during school. I really do enjoy Dr Seuss stories and this one was highly imaginative and funny. All the different people trying to help as well as the rhyming that Dr Seuss is famous for - really makes this a fun read.
Velinda Ivie
Surprisingly this story challenged my group of 3rd graders to read. They enjoyed it. We read it as a Reader's Theater and they instantly realize it was a Dr. Seuss book. We then read the story (book form) followed by a read aloud on YouTube.
Meghan
Mar 02, 2016 Meghan rated it liked it
Decided it was a little wordy for the pajama crowd, also, not actually illustrated by Seuss, and you can tell. Still, it was a good story, and a cool find (Was discovered after the good doctor's death.)
Felicia
Nov 25, 2015 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dr-seuss
Anything Dr. Seuss is a good read. This is books is about a girl name Maisy who has a daisy grow on her head. She worries that no one will love her anymore because she is different.
Kayla Edwards
Oct 08, 2015 Kayla Edwards rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's been forever and a day since I last read this book - still cute. Read it to some of my classes and they were so into it! Especially since I do all the voices ;)
Jennifer Mackintosh
Sep 26, 2012 Jennifer Mackintosh rated it did not like it
This is the book my son brought home from the library this week and at first I was excited. Dr. Seuss is always good.

Except this time it wasn't. The poetry was badly scanned and the story really wandered.

Enlightenment hit. This book was actually written by someone else after Dr. Seuss died. It's based on a partial manuscript they found in his belongings.

People think it's easy to write a kid's book but it's not. Seuss has been compared to Shakespeare and with good reason. The rhythm and flow of l
Neda
Jan 08, 2016 Neda rated it really liked it
I couldn't imagine why she was suddenly alone. But at the end, when she accepted the Daisy on her head, & she was satisfied with it, was amazing.
Rose
Mar 30, 2015 Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Boring. My 4 and 6 y.o. did not care for it either. Not really Seuss-like... story suddenly had a moral that didn't really even go anywhere.
Emkoshka
Jan 13, 2014 Emkoshka rated it liked it
My favourite Seuss books are the ones that have some narrative thread, like this one. Nonsensical rhymes get old pretty quickly and the tongue twisted too! The illustrations in this were also a lot more detailed and diverse. This was a sweet story about a girl who sprouts a daisy atop her head and then contends with fame, fortune and wondering whether anyone still loves her. I loved the archways of books in Principal Grumm's office and got a kick out of Mayzie's Mum being an engineer.
Taylor
Jan 30, 2015 Taylor rated it liked it
I think this book would be good for Elementary students,but Preschool students it's hard to get them to understand all of it.
Diana Pettis
Feb 23, 2014 Diana Pettis rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Dr. Seuss books. I read this one to two students this week who fell in love with it as well. Loved it!
  • The Nose Book
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Draw Me a Star
  • The Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #1)
  • A Treasury of Dick and Jane and Friends (Dick and Jane)
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Consider Love
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Christmas Alphabet
  • Disney Tangled (Little Golden Book)
  • Lady and the Tramp (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • CDC?