Daisy-Head Mayzie

Daisy-Head Mayzie

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,848 ratings  ·  64 reviews
When a daisy suddenly sprouts from the top of Mayzie McGrew's head, she is faced with her classmates' taunts, her parents' dismay, and a publicity agent's greed. How poor Mayzie learns that love is more important than fame and fortune makes an endearing morality tale for our time--and for all ages. Narrated by the Cat in the Hat, Daisy-Head Mayzie is vintage Seuss!

Book Det...more
Published January 11th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHoles by Louis SacharGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Books You Read and Loved When You Were Little
45th out of 193 books — 22 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Dr.Seuss
20th out of 24 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack Kirby and the X-man
Suzanne Moore
I read this to first graders in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. They thought it was definitely strange to have a daisy growing out of the top of your head! Funny, I remember making daisy chain crowns as a girl to put in my hair.

After the teacher, principal, Daisy's parents and practically the whole town try to figure out what to do about it, Daisy becomes sort of famous for having this exceptional feature. It is soon obvious that money can't replace friends, and life at the top is lonely. When Ma...more
Shelly
Of course I read this as a teenager, and I'm sure I loved it then, but I just re-read as an adult and it didn't dazzle me or excite me like I expect Dr. Seuss books to do. It was cute, but not cute enough for me. This sounds like a silly complaint, but it had tons of words, lol! Usually Dr. Seuss books are a little long, but each page is kind of short and sweet, kind of a little poem to itself almost. This didn't feel that way to me. The illustrations were good, but I think what I love about Dr....more
Giselle Avina
I grew up with this book and it is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books ever! I love how each of his stories seem to have a profound social issue within them, in this case it was about a girl who forgot about her family and friends through the excitement of fame and fortune because of her strange "daisy head" condition. She eventually realizes that nothing is more valuable than her loved ones at home, and as a result the daisy disappears- only to reappear on occasion. The book's rhymes are enterta...more
Swankivy
I read this while working in a bookstore, surprised that there was a Dr. Seuss book I hadn't come across before. (Turned out it was not published when I was a kid.) It was about a little girl who, for no apparent reason, has a daisy sprout from her head one day. It actually kind of disturbed me because of all the attempts to get rid of it not working out for Mayzie. The whole thing just kind of made me uncomfortable. It's also sort of amorphous how Mayzie gets swept away in a life of fame after...more
Sassy
There are plenty of Dr. Seuss books that I have not read. Like many authors I like, I've challenged myself to read all of them.

Daisy-Head Mayzie is special though. I never really liked her story. I distinctly remember reading it and never finishing more than half, even as a child. It's too busy, there is a whole lot going on and the people are freaking out waaaaay too much about a flower growing out of a little girl's head. It's wordy.

Even reading it this time around (and finally finishing) I...more
Jennifer Mackintosh
This is the book my son brought home from the library this week and at first I was excited. Dr. Seuss is always good.

Except this time it wasn't. The poetry was badly scanned and the story really wandered.

Enlightenment hit. This book was actually written by someone else after Dr. Seuss died. It's based on a partial manuscript they found in his belongings.

People think it's easy to write a kid's book but it's not. Seuss has been compared to Shakespeare and with good reason. The rhythm and flow of l...more
Emkoshka
My favourite Seuss books are the ones that have some narrative thread, like this one. Nonsensical rhymes get old pretty quickly and the tongue twisted too! The illustrations in this were also a lot more detailed and diverse. This was a sweet story about a girl who sprouts a daisy atop her head and then contends with fame, fortune and wondering whether anyone still loves her. I loved the archways of books in Principal Grumm's office and got a kick out of Mayzie's Mum being an engineer.
Diana Pettis
I am a big fan of Dr. Seuss books. I read this one to two students this week who fell in love with it as well. Loved it!
Becky H.
one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. Poor Mayzie had daisy sprout on top of her head. Oh what to do...
Lisse
In honor of Dr. Seuss week (and at my mom's suggestion - she's an elementary teacher celebrating Seuss week with her students), this is my fourth Seuss book. I thought this was a cute idea...a daisy growing out of Mayzie's head and what people think should happen b/c of that. I think Seuss did a good job of showing how fame and money can't buy you love or happiness. It's great how he can put such nice values in such silly books. And I am very impressed reading his books as an adult at how he cou...more
Alice
It is no secret that I am not a die hard Dr. Seuss fan...but this was actually pretty good. I like that is rhymes and it doesn't have made up words like diffendoofer and gootch (that is my Chief Dislike of Seuss, the made up words and the unattractive, strange looking characters. As with all Seuss Books their tends to be some sort of message or political commentary...and guess this one is??? I am not sure. I could be about loving yourself, even if a daisy is growing from your head....Oh well if...more
Dolly
For as much as we love reading Dr. Seuss' books, I'm surprised that we've never read this one before. I am sure we've seen it at the library, but for some reason we never borrowed it until now. I couldn't quite say that I am disappointed, but it wasn't our favorite for sure. It seemed to have less cohesion and charm than the classics like Green Eggs and Ham and even Hop on Pop. In any case, it was a good book to read aloud and our girls liked the illustrations and especially the ending.
Snorkle
This story wasn't nearly as whimsical and crazy as other Dr. Seuss books, but it was still enjoyable. I like the rhyming style. He seems to have such a way of finding ordinary words that you wouldn't think to use in a rhyme and he puts five of them in a sentence together. I might recommend this book, but wasn't a favorite.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Libby
I did NOT realize that a "Dr. Seuss" book was written after his death (I should have looked at the cover more carefully, but from the title, I thought it was going to be about the bird in Horton Hatches the Egg. I did not like it, I thought it had none of the charm of real Dr. Seuss books, and it was still a very long picture book. My kids liked it fine, but I'm not deferring to them in this case!
Samantha
When a daisy sprout out of the top of her head Mayzie becomes the hottest thing in town. People can't get enough of her, but the fame takes its toll on her and Mayzie eventually runs away. At the lowest of her low her daisy helps her find out if her friends and loved ones still care for her by picking petals off one by one.

A sensational story with vivid pictures and quirky characters galore.
Natalie Pietro
I can't understand why Dr. Seuss would not release this book during his wonderful existence on this earth. I'm so glad his wife discovered this book and made sure it got published for the world to see Dr Suess's beautiful words. Daisy-Head Mayzie is not only quirky but so much fun. It's pure Suess at his best. I can't believe I never heard of this book. So glad I finally discovered it. Such fun!
Samantha
PB #21: This was a fun, rhythmic tale with playful illustrations to match. I grew up reading Dr. Seuss books (and having them read to me), and I think he is just brilliant! He hides indirect themes behind his stories--avoiding the obvious-themed/moral children's books that disinterest kids. The ending of this picturebook was my favorite part along with all the silly characters!
Sam
This book can be used to teach a lesson on plants and the difference circumstances they grow in. This can also be used as a model when having students construct their own outlandish tale, showing that silly things can happen but they always end well. This also shows that Mayzie was very cared for, and this can help reiterate to your students that they are loved.
Cruth
Author: Dr Seuss
Illustrator: ?
First Published: 1995 (post-humous)

Cameo from cat in the hat. Treatise on fame. Story rather than rhyme-with-vocabulary.

It's okay.

Age:
Read aloud: 5+
Read yourself: 6+

-CR-
Brett Hollinger
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Randie
I remember watching the movie as a child in elementary school, so it was fun to read this for the first time with my son. He chose it as his library book for the week. He thought it was pretty silly. The love you-love you not piece was a little over his head but we both enjoyed it.
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Tasha
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. I think i loved it so much just because of the wackiness of it all, as with all Dr. Seuss books.
Lindsey Rogers
Poor Mayzie! This is one of my favorites! Rhyming book that is a fast pacing journey through Mayzie's life. I would read part of this book and let my students write responses...I am sure they would come up with some interesting things! :)
Emma Crosswhite
Mar 05, 2013 Emma Crosswhite added it
Shelves: child
The lesson of this book, teaches children that altough the taughts that people still love you. Dr. Seuss shows that the hard time of social interaction, but through a child's eyes. The flower, symbolizes a unique trait.
Room 123
This is a book called "Daisy-Head Mayzie." This is a Dr. Seuss book where a girl named Mayzie is sitting in the middle of class. Then a daisy pops out of her head! Check it out at your local library! By Lauren
Rusty Gregory
"It's hard to believe such a thing could be true, And I hope such a thing never happens to you."

Dr. Seuss is the rhyming king. I love that about his books. They are so fun to read with the whimsical pictures.
Chris Miller
A girl grows a daisy on top of her head. At first people are outraged, then they exploit her, then it's all ok somehow. The writing and the art was less Seussian than most Seuss--kind of plain.
Bill Sweet
Clearly not written by Ted Geisel. Scans poorly, and clearly a TV-movie tie-in.

The beginning of the long sad road that culminated in Mike Myers and Jim Carrey abusing Dr. Seuss's corpse.
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Oliver
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Carl's Afternoon in the Park
  • David's Father (Classic Munsch)
  • So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Mouse Cookies & More: A Treasury [With CD (Audio)-- 8 Songs and Celebrity Readings]
  • Dr. Seuss and Mr. Geisel
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Kermit the Hermit
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax