City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired by Urban Views

City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired by Urban Views

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Discover Endless Design Possibilities in Everything from Parks to Parking Lots!- Create city-inspired quilts by piecing together simple geometric shapes- Beginner-friendly project designs are inspired by modern urban architecture and landscapes - Learn how to achieve dramatic looks with more effective use of color, value, and placement- Work with traditional blocks like Fl...more
Published June 1st 2010 by C&T Publishing (first published May 1st 2010)

Marie Z. Johansen
"City Quilts" by Cherrie House is new book hot off the presses at C&T Publishing. Since I love quilts that are both simple and make use of solid color fabrics I knew from the beginning that this book would hold interest for me. Having grown up in New York City the photos in the book were quite evocative for me. I think that Ms. House did a remarkable job of designing simple but dramatic quilts reminiscent of every day city living images. Although I love using solid colors I think that the qu...more
Jane
Apr 11, 2011 Jane rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
Pros: House's use of color, particularly in the project quilts, is beautiful. "City Green" and "City Fair," in particular, are what drew me to this book; I was planning to make the former for a wedding in a few months, but there are so many pieces that I need something faster. I think I'm going to go with "City Bank" - easy, but also colorfully stunning. I think it will go quickly, which is most important these days. Also: I really like the concept of this book a lot, what with the geometry of c...more
Connie Marx
I found the way she described finding patterns in everyday things helpful. was looking for a boost in my ideas, and the reminders of color selection and placement was very helpful.
Kimberly
Such a beautiful book! Visually inspiring quilts that capture the various aspects of Houston city life in within the cuts and seams of fabric. Mrs. House also introduces helpful techniques on how to plan, visualize, construct your quilt combined with good tips on finishing techniques and color shades.

This book is an inspiration for me to try a project when I'm good enough in my techniques and piecing. If you are an advanced quilter, go for it and check this book out of your local library / buy i...more
Nonnie
TONS OF PROJECTS for the 20+ kids in my life... I give them a lap quilt for their first home/ apartment. They all love the patterns in this book.

Nonnie

6-4-2014

This book lives on my reference shelf....I have made several quilts from it... but true to myself I rarely follow the directions as is... PER my usual I do it my own way. THE KIDS love these patterns and they are usually quick to make.

Nonnie's Quilting Dreams - Blog

Dawn
Feb 17, 2013 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: quilts
Lots of beautiful, modern quilts in this book. Very little use of pattern, lots of usage of solid colors to create beautiful designs. My particular favorite is a postage stamp quilt using small blocks and black sashing between all of the rows. The stamps are in blues, greens, grays and golds. The quilts in this book are inspired by urban architecture and the designs based on these inspirations really fit in well with the theme of "the city." Love it!
Beverlyanne
Cherri gives some good design advice, encouraging quilters to simplify. She makes quilts out of solids to represent the grids of the city, so she uses mostly squares and rectangles, often with sashing. One or two use rounder shapes. The problem is that the quilts are uninteresting. The best thing she does is use color, and she points out how she gets the color effects. I sympathize with her aesthetic, but don't care for her design work or execution.
Kristel
A very nice quilting book. The patterns are interesting, beautiful, and very customizable. It's not much like the usual quilting book, but has more information about the process of quilt design, how to figure out what will and won't work and so on. A very readble book.
Hillary
Nov 19, 2010 Hillary added it
Shelves: i-own-it
I'm in love with this book. Cerri House has me thinking about quilts I'd never pictured before, and I'm looking forward to making some of the quilts in the book.
Janis
Loved the combination of light and dark, asymmetry, and geometry. I'll eventually make some of these. Wish more quilt patterns were in the book!
Jocelynne Broderick
I think I've read this before. It has some cool ideas but not quite the modern feel I want to explore.
Cindy
Stunning modern quilt patterns. Possible baby quilt.
Sep 19, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non-quilters, stylish crafty types
Awesome quilting book inspired by cityscapes.
Susan Jansen
OHHHH - - I want to try some of these!
Donna Holland
Donna Holland marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Rachella Baker
Rachella Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Alexandra Allen
Alexandra Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Tami Manzoco
Tami Manzoco marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Robin Clendenin
Robin Clendenin is currently reading it
May 09, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Sarah Stillman
Sarah Stillman marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Shirley Cree
Shirley Cree marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Urban Views: 12 Quilts Inspired by City Living City Quilts: 12 Dramatic Projects Inspired By Urban Views