Start by marking “Please forgive me” as Want to Read:
Please forgive me

Please forgive me

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,678 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Have you ever dreamed of running away?
Of just leaving the past behind you?

Leonie has done just that. She’s moved to another country and got a new job, a new home, a brand new life. . .

But when she discovers a box of unread love letters in the bottom of her wardrobe, all ending with the words ‘please forgive me’, she finds herself drawn to the mystery behind them.

Can the un
Published April 15th 2010 by Hodder (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Please forgive me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please forgive me

Leah
Nov 16, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing
Leonie has left her native Dublin and has fled to San Francisco. Moving into a beautiful apartment, Leonie happens upon a bunch of unopened letters. After accidentally opening one, Leonie sees that each letter ends ‘Please forgive me. Nathan’ and is instantly intrigued. She enlists the help of her neighbour Alex and the two begin the search for the elusive Nathan as well as Helena, who all of the letters are for. Just what did Nathan do that was so bad he required forgiveness?

Melissa Hill is an
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Nunca tinha lido nada de Melissa Hill e embora me tenham dito que os anteriores livros dela eram algo monótonos, não deixei de querer ler este livro. Devo dizer que fiquei agradavelmente surpresa. Sempre gostei imenso de livros com cartas perdidas pois dá um toque extra de romance e de mistério a uma história que por si só já é um romance. É um livro leve, sem grandes complicações apesar do mistério que as cartas encontradas fornecem à história.

Opinião completa
Ana Fernandes
Mar 08, 2016 Ana Fernandes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Indecisa entre as 4 e as 4,5
Maria João
Aug 04, 2015 Maria João rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7,5 de 10*

Aqui está o livro perfeito para esta altura do ano. É um livro ideal para o Verão, leve, fresco e fluído!
Melissa Hill escreveu um bom romance, porque cruza 3 histórias, qualquer delas mais interessante que a outra.
Por um lado, acompanhamos Leonie na sua fuga precipitada para os Estados Unidos. As razões para esta fuga vão-nos sendo reveladas aos poucos através de flashbacks, onde passamos a conhecer Adam, o homem por quem Leonie se apaixonou mas com quem teve uma história sem final fel
Ragnhild
Mar 31, 2016 Ragnhild rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I was unable to finish a book. Halfway through and it still had not gotten to the point of why the main character ran away from her home. Usually when I read a book I keep thinking about it after I put it down, but not this one. Several weeks after start I admit defeat. The book is a chick-flick and will have the predictable happy ending anyway...
Chloe
Dec 06, 2009 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leonie was happily in love and engaged to fiancé Adam, but now she’s living halfway across the world from him in San Franscisco. She doesn’t want to be found, and she doesn’t want people to know the secret she ran away from either.

When she moves into a new home, she finds a box of letters all to the same woman from the same man, Nathan, begging for forgiveness. Leonie is curious and decides to find out who the mystery recipient is.

She enlists the help of her neighbour Alex who has a fair few sec
The Translation Abbey
Lydia Laceby
Jul 18, 2012 Lydia Laceby rated it really liked it
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

This was my first Melissa Hill novel and I was not disappointed. Although I thought the beginning was a tiny bit slow, I eventually warmed to Leonie and really enjoyed this novel. I found the premise and intrigue of the letters she finds interesting and it kept me wondering along with the slow unveiling of Leonie’s past relationship. And with such lovely, confused characters that you can’t help rooting for combined with the gorgeous San Fransisco backdrop, wha
Marie O'Neill
I found this book to be a bit of a chore. Based around three 'mysteries', the suspense was heavy-handed and the resolutions too easy. I found myself impatient with the clunky cliffhangers and finished the book out of a sense of duty rather than any real desire to find out what happened.
Jessica
I like the plot line of this story. It's simple, but there are layers of twists. While we know that that Leonie is running away from her past, her story is deeper than anyone can predict.

It's nice that Leonie's story isn't revealed all at once but in sections. I almost forgot that there are transitions between the past and the present. However, it does drag on at times and because there are so much description, it doesn't appeal to me much.

The title Please Forgive Me ties in very nicely to all t
Vanessa Montês
Oct 25, 2015 Vanessa Montês rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestaram-me
(...)

Comparativamente ao livro anterior da autora que tinha lido, "Prometo Amar-te", gostei muito mais deste. Uma narrativa não tão linear e mais aprofundada, bem escrita e com personagens cujas histórias se interligam de forma inteligente. Além disso não achei um romance tão romântico e fantasioso como o anterior que tinha lido.

Sem dúvida um livro que gostei de ler e uma autora que recomendo!

Opinião completa em http://blocodedevaneios.blogspot.pt/2...
Margarida
Sep 21, 2016 Margarida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talvez por não ter grandes expectativas sobre este livro, esta leitura acabou por tornar-se agradável e, em certas partes, até viciante. É leve e chega a ser divertida. O toque de mistério contribuiu para me agarrar até à última página.
Susan Buchanan
Nov 02, 2015 Susan Buchanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Love this author
Lena
Jun 06, 2012 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt: Von einen Tag auf den anderen reist Leonie von ihrer Heimatstadt Dublin nach San Francisco. Ihren Freunden will sie keine Rechenschaft über ihre plötzliche Flucht abgeben. Fest steht aber, dass irgendetwas zwischen Leonie und ihrem Verlobten Adam vorgefallen sein muss. Ansonsten würde Leonie ihren geliebten Adam niemals von heute auf morgen im Stich lassen.
Angekommen in den Staaten findet Leonie nach kurzer Zeit eine umwerfende Wohnung, in der sie sich wie zu Hause fühlt. Beim Säubern un
Ilaria
Jul 30, 2015 Ilaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ti prego perdonami è una storia di seconde occasioni e nuovi inizi.
Leonie sta scappando, ha deciso di lasciarsi tutto alle spalle, di abbandonare Dublino per trasferirsi in America a San Francisco. La sua decisione è stata improvvisa,ha voluto dare un taglio netto a tutto e provare a ricominciare lontano dal posto che le ricorda momenti belli e brutti.
Arrivata a San Francisco, Leonie si sentirà immediatamente a casa, complice anche un lavoro da un fioraio che le permetterà di conoscere la sua st
Maryam Dinzly
Mar 24, 2014 Maryam Dinzly rated it it was amazing
i love this book and i think everyone who is cynical about love should read this book. i wont guarantee that you'll suddenly turn into a hopeless romantic, just that maybe you'll start believing in love a lil bit. firstly,i love this book because it taught me that Dublin is in Ireland. HAHA. seriously. i always thought that it was in India (i totally suck with world maps). anyway, yes i love this book. the thing about this book is that it goes back in time and gives you twists and turns that you ...more
Alyssa
Feb 10, 2015 Alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-keen
Sigh. I had high(ish) hopes for this book, after reading the blurb and many other reviews. It's also advertised as a number one bestseller. And I do like chick-lit/ this kind of read. Normally. So I was drawn in. I liked it, I did, it was just so slow and so descriptive I just wanted Leonie to give up her search to return these letters which is against the plot of the book. That's how annoying it became. I was eager to find out what would happen to the different characters stories that I put up ...more
Domenica Apriceno
non è la solita storia d'amore, è tutto ben equlibrato, scorrevole, i vari momenti presente e passato, sono bene suddivisi.
i colpi di scena mantengono viva la lettura.
L'autrice fa capire che il significato di questo libro sono l'amicizia, l'amore, il perdono.
l'autrice è stata brava a svelare i particolari i pian piano, rivelando poco per volta tutti i segreti nascosti dietro la storia di Leonie e di Adam finita improvvisamente.
Subentrano anche altri personaggi come Alex la sua vicina di casa, e
Mandy Bookaholica
Dec 08, 2012 Mandy Bookaholica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liebe
Eine klassische Liebesgeschichte mit einer guten Mischung aus Freundschaft, Vertrauen und Misstrauen.
Der Titel sprach mich auf Anhieb an und auch der Klappentext klang nach einem guten Buch für angenehme Lesestunden auf dem Balkon :) Entäuscht wurde ich nicht.
Leonie, die Protagonistin, war mir auf Anhieb sympathisch, so auch Alex, die Nachbarin von Leonie, mit der sie sich anfreundet.
Ich wurde allzu oft dazu verführt, mit zurätseln, von wem diese Liebesbotschaften stammen und war am Ende doch
Ana Ribeiro
Apr 30, 2016 Ana Ribeiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Para quem ainda não leu o livro, talvez fique um pouco assustado e apreensivo com o enredo do livro por ser constituído por várias histórias que são contadas praticamente em simultâneo. Muitas vezes uma narrativa tão rica como esta leva a que o livro seja mais difícil de compreender porque obriga o leitor a focar-se em vários pontos fulcrais; no entanto, se isso já me aconteceu com vários livros, com os da Melissa isso não acontece. A escrita é fluída, simples e de fácil compreensão, não se preo ...more
Ulya
Nov 24, 2012 Ulya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
woohoo.. my 50th book this year! i've completed my challenge for the year, barely. ^_^

I've only read one other Melissa Hill novel before, but i really like how she twists the story around, so it never quite goes the way you'd expected it to be. The story revolve around Leonie, who for some reason, ran away from Dublin to San Francisco. She quickly adapted to being in the USA, working at a florist shop and befriended her neighbour, Alex. She then found a box of letters in her new apartment, all a
Rosie
Aug 08, 2010 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
I loved this book. Throughout it you're so curious to find out what happened to Leonie and what happened for her to leave Adam; what happened between Alex and her ex husband and most importantly why did Nathan want forgiveness? What had he done?

You're gripped throughout the book dying to know the answers to these questions and the answers don't disappoint. However I was shocked that Leonie left for that reason as it didn't really make that much sense, she didn't hate Adam for something he'd done
Cuti-CLUE-les
Aug 16, 2013 Cuti-CLUE-les rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly the only thing that salvaged this book was the ending and even that was ridiculously predictable. On first glance you will notice the great similarities between Melissa Hill and Cecelia Ahern. The storyline sounds familiar and it's the main reason for me picking up this particular book. I thought this would be a hit but I was so wrong. The book is boring, the characters annoying and the decisions they make are infuriating. You know they are always going to do the wrong thing. It felt li ...more
Paris
Jul 10, 2016 Paris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Please Forgive Me' is a fantastic book set in San Francisco, California. Leonie the main character has run away from her problems at home to start afresh in CA and stumbles upon a box of unopened letters in her apartment. Curiosity gets the better of her and she opens them and sets out to reunite the owner of the letters.

With lots of unexpected twists and turns, Melissa Hill doesn't disappoint and leaves you wanting to read 'one more chapter'.

Another highly recommended book that is perfect fo
Addy
Aug 22, 2010 Addy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited to read this after reading some rave reviews. Although it was good, it is definitely not in my top 5 chick-lit novels. Part of it could be because I guessed all the major plot twists a few chapters in advance, so I wasn't as shocked. I felt that this novel relied too much on its plot twists. The reader was left in the dark a lot until the last 100 pages or so when everything unfolded, so character development wasn't that great. It was very reminiscent of the two movies "The ...more
Wendy
May 01, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book since it had love and mystery...along with an ocean jumper who lands in America running from her own heartache. The book does have typos but for me I could see past those to the story. The only thing I really wanted to do with this book was grab the letters and read them all right away. The suspense of the letters and what they said killed me!! lol ...there were a couple 'stories' weaved in and that kept me interested and 'guessing' which I personally like. I thought it wa ...more
Ghyda Nagi
Jul 25, 2015 Ghyda Nagi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler ahead!
I absolutely loved this book!
I loved how Melissa Hill somehow had us all fooled. Because until the end, the book gives you the feeling that her boyfriend back in Dublin had done something wrong to Leonie while the fact of the matter is that she moved because SHE did something wrong. Even though when we come to know what she actually did i thought It was a little ridiculous, like it doesn't deserve her going all the way to San Francisco, she could have just come clean and I'm sure h
Audrey Julia
Sep 27, 2011 Audrey Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leonie is a typical woman who run away from her past. the conflict between Leonie and adam arent that fun. but alex's conflict between her husband ( ex husband for her ) seth, and her boyfriend are cute. she hates seth but when he appears in her life, she starts to think about her feeling towards seth. and it is sooooo romantic. I've read this book for 4 times and never get bored of alex's love story. five thumbs up for melissa hill :')
Paula Sealey
Jul 14, 2010 Paula Sealey rated it it was amazing
Leonie, flees Dublin for the streets of San Francisco after an event at home. She finds a box of old letters in the wardrobe of her rented apartment, and sets about finding the writer and the intended recipient of them. Woven into this plot is Leonies reason for leaving Dublin.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the unexpected but brilliant ending! It's certainly made me want to read more Melissa Hill books.
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • The Truth About Melody Browne
  • The Birds And The Bees
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
  • Out of the Blue
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Welcome to My World
  • Heaven Sent
  • That Loving Feeling
  • Forget me not
  • Walking Back to Happiness
International #1 bestselling author Melissa Hill lives in Dublin and is one of Ireland's most popular contemporary fiction authors.

Her page-turning, contemporary romance stories are published worldwide and translated into 25 different languages. Her titles are regular chart-toppers in Ireland and internationally and SOMETHING FROM TIFFANY'S (aka A GIFT FROM TIFFANY'S) became one of Italy's 2011 To
More about Melissa Hill...

“So do you think there's more to her than meets the eye!" he teased, and Alex cursed herself for being so easy to read.
"My guess is she's running from something.
"No shit Sherlock", she agreed silently. "Probably a guy. It's nearly always a guy.”
3 likes
“I guess people do have different ways of dealing with stuff,' she said diplomatically, 'but you can't run away for ever.” 0 likes