Start by marking “In the Beginning (Phoenix Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
In the Beginning (Phoenix Chronicles, #0.5)

In the Beginning (Phoenix Chronicles .5)

Liz Phoenix does her best not to let anyone on the Milwaukee Police Force know that she's psychic. But her partner, Max Murphy, suspects. She's had one too many spot-on hunches.

When they're sent to the scene of a murder, Liz's latest psychic flash leads to disaster.

In the Beginning reveals how Liz came to be an ex-cop and started on the road to becoming the Leader of the
Published 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Beginning

Debbie
Feb 26, 2010 Debbie rated it it was ok
A brief introduction to Elizabeth Phoenix and her job as a Milwaukee police officer. Also got to meet Max, her partner.
Super short, not very informative, but a look at what happened and how her whole story started.
Coucher de soleil
Natalie
Sep 06, 2013 Natalie rated it liked it
0.5 in the Phoenix Chronicles series. This is a 15 page PDF download available at the author's website. There's not enough here to make you want to read the series if this is your first taste. But if you've read even part of the series then this is a nice little bit of information. Enjoy your free treat.
Marsha
Jul 25, 2015 Marsha rated it liked it
While "In the Beginning" is a nice prequel to introduce the main character in the "Phoenix Chronicles" series it was just a little too short to provide much insight; however, I am looking forward to reading the first book because I just love police 's no dunnits' with a paranormal twist. Hopefully, I will discover a new great series to follow.
Darcy
Nov 28, 2012 Darcy rated it really liked it
This one is bittersweet to read for a couple of reasons. The first being that this event starts Elizabeth on her new path and she loses one of her friends, the other is that I am sad that the publisher decided not to extend the author more books within this series as it is one of the better ones out there.
Ann Sheiring
Jan 31, 2015 Ann Sheiring rated it it was amazing
This was definitely a SHORT story, but a good one. I enjoy this series and this was just another piece to understanding Elizabeth Phoenix. I wish it had been longer because I was sucked into the story and wanted to read more.
Carolyn Jenkins
Aug 07, 2015 Carolyn Jenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction to The Phoenix Chronicles

This was a good introduction to the rest of The Phoenix Chronicles series. I wish it had been available before I had already read the rest of the series. If you like this short story,you will definitely like the series.
Arie Antonia
Sep 03, 2015 Arie Antonia rated it it was ok
This book was pointless. I didnt learn anything about anyone other than the main character was a psychic and i assumed she was an orphan. This book did not do a good job of introducing you to this series.
Erin
Feb 26, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
Not a bad little start to her new series.

I look forward to reading the actual stories.
Mimi Kronkowski
Mar 30, 2015 Mimi Kronkowski rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star

That was much too short.
Crystal
Feb 09, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

I love this prequel to the series. It shows how Liz became an ex cop and why she has her ways. It was great, but heartbreaking also.
Shell
Mar 03, 2015 Shell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so miss the Phoenix Chronicles and this little bit was fantastic, but I felt teased as well!
Amy
Jul 26, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
A good beginning with a sad end. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Patricia
Aug 09, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: lori-handeland
This was a very very short story, it tells u about how Elizabeth lost his partner. I wish it could have been longer, like how Elizabeth & Jimmy's romance started.
Kerry
Mar 18, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it
This story has a powerful punch to it regardless of it's size. I kept holding my breath, my recommendation is to breathe. Great short story.
Dionus Jones
Aug 12, 2015 Dionus Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Story!

Love this story! I loved the characters, the action, & the pace of the book. I can't wait for more.
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2011
Holly Havens
Holly Havens rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Call Me Cranky
Call Me Cranky rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2011
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Chantal Bible
Chantal Bible rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Ahnah
Ahnah rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Janie  R. Freeman
Janie R. Freeman rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Sen
Sen rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6)
  • Wish Bound (Grimm Agency, #3)
  • Summer Moon (Celtic Wolves, #2)
  • The Hook (Iron Seas, #0.6)
  • Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf Volume 2
  • Darklove (Dark Ink Chronicles, #5)
  • Shattered Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #6)
  • Dark Rides (The Morganville Vampires, #12.5)
  • Wayfinder (Worldwalker Duology, #2)
  • The Way Home (InCryptid, #0.2)
  • Valiant Hearts (Egypt Trilogy #3)
  • Dorinda and the Doctor (The Duke's Men, #2.5)
  • Web of Deceit (Elemental Assassin, #0.4)
  • The Ryu Morgue (Jane True)
  • Children of Ash (Meridian Six, #2)
  • Morning Light
Lori Handeland has written over fifty novels, novellas and short stories in several genres--historical, contemporary, series and paranormal romance, as well as urban fantasy--for such publishers as: Dorchester, Kensington, Harlequin, St. Martin’s Press, Harper-Collins, Simon and Schuster and Penguin/Putnam

She is a New York Times, USA Today, Waldenbooks and Bookscan Bestselling Author and the recip
More about Lori Handeland...

Phoenix Chronicles (5 books)
  • Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1)
  • Doomsday Can Wait (Phoenix Chronicles, #2)
  • Apocalypse Happens (Phoenix Chronicles, #3)
  • Chaos Bites (Phoenix Chronicles, #4)
  • Demons at the Gates (Phoenix Chronicles, #5)