Start by marking “Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper” as Want to Read:

Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper (Europa Militaria #28)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  289 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Combat veteran and author Hans Halberstadt takes readers deeper inside the elusive world of snipers than ever before, from recruitment and training to the brutality of the killing fields.

Shadow Team is probably the most productive sniper team in American military history, accounting for 276 confirmed kills in a six months span with no casualties of their own. Their leader
Published March 18th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published December 12th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Trigger Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trigger Men

Martinez
May 01, 2008 Martinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about my dad and i am reading this and i love it Because I want to be a Sniper. Awesome book to learn what it is like to be a sniper and how much training and rules for snipers.
Hans Halberstadt
Oct 19, 2012 Hans Halberstadt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
I hope nobody minds if I chime in here -- I wrote TRIGGER MEN and like to see what people say about my books. Perhaps some of you might like to know the story behind the book:

TRIGGER MEN is what we call in the Army an "after-action review" and "lessons-learned" document. I got the idea for the book after listening to MAJ Charles Greene's war stories while I was spending some time with 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry, 4th ID, at Fort Hood in 2002. Charles was the Ops Officer at the time but had previ
Noah
You probably don't need my review to know whether you'd like this book. If you would enjoy sitting in a bar with a bunch of special forces soldiers and hearing their crazy war stories and learning all about how to shoot someone in the head from 2000 meters away, you should read it.
Nancy Sanford
Aug 26, 2008 Nancy Sanford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military history buffs
Not for the squeamish.
Max
Apr 03, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very interesting. I have never read a book about sniping before, and I though the author did a good job of describing the job of a sniper all the way from training to shooting out on the battlefield. From the very first page, I was drawn into this book. I could not set it down. I also liked how the author shared information about challenges snipers face in life. The most interesting part in the book to me was the stories of the snipers. Yes, there is more than just storie ...more
Dustin Gaughran
Overall, not bad. It jumps around a little bit, and some of the material repeats. It's a mix of modern sniping stories, mostly covering the most recent Iraq adventures, and a brief history of the modern process in which today's snipers are trained. It's an entertaining enough read, but if you want more in depth details, I'd recommend 'One Shot, One Kill'.
Stephen
Aug 27, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. It is a little slow in the beginning but it explains a lot of technical info. The later part of the book, the words of the snipers themselves if very enlightening. There is no PC BS just true statements in their own words. I recommend this book.
Luke Ahearn
May 28, 2015 Luke Ahearn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read sniper stories and info

I found this book to be a great source of information and inspiration as a writer. It was a good mix of history, training, tactics, and stories.
Mark Sequeira
Just okay I'd say. Random short stories of various sniper teams operating in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. I think the book could be considered quite callous but that should not come as a surprise considering we are talking about snipers after all. The writing leaves much to be desired and the brevity of accounts left me jumping from location and situation to new location and situation where I never felt I understood much of the context. I think they got caught trying to be a popular account and ye ...more
Shane Hatch
May 28, 2014 Shane Hatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great explanation on everything that affects a shot and the skills required to make them. I learned a lot and cant wait to try it out.
Eddie Puente
Nov 30, 2012 Eddie Puente rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into the life of a sniper. author explores many of the techincal aspects of the skills needed to be a sniper. Several chapters of "war stories", most of them are good and believable, one or two seem to add a bit of Hollywoodism in the action. Overall a great book. Author is a veteran of the US Armed Forces and has written more books about the special operations group in the military. Look forward to reading more of his books.
Carmen wells
Some fascinating information about bullet trajectory and distances, but overly technical at times. His writing is also a bit choppy and discombobulated; some paragraphs seemed misplaced with the content in the rest of the chapter, and a several chapters were left open-ended.

Jonathan Jeffrey
I've read a lot of books on snipers both fiction and non-fiction, so I didn't find much surprising in the book.
For someone with less backgrounding, this book is chock full of operational details drawn from the Iraq war.
The book's editing/organization was not to my taste.
David
Jun 12, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The majority of the book revolved around the description of the profession and the weapons, instead of the actual engagements, yet the stories were interesting, the language minimal, and the insight enjoyable.
CK Hicks
Feb 12, 2013 CK Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise, and complementary to our forces in the field. A great look into the battles - both internal and external - of some of the most finely trained soldiers on earth.
Brandon Crouse
Jan 18, 2013 Brandon Crouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked how it showed old pictures of farming and how it tells you a whole lot of details on howto fix tractors

Avi
Oct 12, 2008 Avi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I thought it would be much more action packed, but it was far too technical for my taste
Bill Mceachen
Sep 12, 2008 Bill Mceachen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
currently reading this, have read sevl other sniper account books, Hathcock's being another recommended one
Sam
Aug 18, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
"An interesting read. Not great writing, as much of it comes from the people who lived the sniper life."
K. Richards
Feb 26, 2009 K. Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
great book. a gorry but accurate look into the life of a sniper in the modern military
Kevin
Jul 24, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about snipers and what goes into being a sniper, highly recommended.
Chris
Apr 18, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
Color pictures not for the faint of heart. Liked it so much I had to buy it.
Dirk
Good read on modern sniper warfare.
Michael
A great book of first hand accounts a experienced by the men that were there. It was a mixed read. At times captivating and compelling at others I longed for it to be over. It was an OK read.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Chad Harrison
Chad Harrison rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Troy Lindstrand
Troy Lindstrand rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Tero Kapanen
Tero Kapanen rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
  • Sniper: American Single-Shot Warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq
  • Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam
  • Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
  • SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden
  • Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America
  • The Night Stalkers
  • Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice
  • They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
I trained to be a documentary filmmaker and worked in that industry for about fifteen years before getting involved with book projects. The basic techniques involved in designing a film project apply just as well to non-fiction books so the transition was easy. The books turned out to be more fun, more filled with adventure, and more profitable than the film work so I gradually took on books rathe ...more
More about Hans Halberstadt...

Europa Militaria (4 books)
  • Warrior Company (Europa Militaria, #25)
  • Challenger Squadron (Europa Militaria, #29)
  • Bradley Company (Europa Militaria, #30)

“The 77-grain bullet has great penetration, too. I shot one guy through the windshield of a car and hit him in the head, right where I was aiming, killing him instantly. If I had been using the lighter bullet, I think it would have been deflected.” 0 likes
“If you ask any good sniper, he will tell you that making the kill is better than sex. If you offer this sniper an opportunity to shoot twelve enemy soldiers or to hop in bed with a Playboy playmate, the sniper will choose the chance to make the kills first—then he will want the girl, too!” 0 likes