Start by marking “The Holy Man” as Want to Read:
The Holy Man

The Holy Man

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  109 reviews
In a witty parable about pilgrims seeking answers from a holy man, each chapter tells another personal tale of human problems and shows that gurus' cures never really cure anyone, they simply reveal the good things that are hidden from view. BOMC. QPB.
Published March 8th 1995 by Riverhead, Putnam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Holy Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holy Man

Leah
Jan 18, 2013 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Leah by: No one
Holy buckets. I started this book only 18 hours ago. And with 3 and a half hours of sleep, about 2 hours of eating food, 3 hours of hanging with family, I probably realistically read the book in a matter of 9 hours or so, and I must admit that The Holy Man has incredibly changed my life.

Oh my word. I was intrigued by the author's inspiration for this book, since I have also been a "connoisseur" of insomnia and wishing it would turn to creative thought. She "invented an alternative to counting s
Salsadancer
Jul 31, 2009 Salsadancer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a simple gift of faith, inspiration, wisdom
This book is a metaphor (in the tradition of the Canterbury Tales) for the various journeys each of us take to find wisdom. Often we feel that someone or a place will give us the results we seek in life, but eventually the realization grows on us that the answers are already programmed in ourselves.

The basic story: A line of pilgrims snakes up a mountain to see the Holy Man in the small house at the top. Each chapter stands alone as a vignette, telling the tale of a different character, yet the
Kate
It has a very zen vibe and as such it's not quite as preachy as it might otherwise have been. It's cheeky and sweet and about all these people who come to this one place but encounter enlightenment in unique ways. It is moralistic, but it's not too syrupy and it is very endearing.
Nancy
This is one of my all time favorite books. I always have a few copies on my shelf for gifts. It is a short easy read about a line of pilgrims waiting to see the Holy Man and the lessons they learn while waiting in line.
Chris
This book is sometimes classified in self-help or inspirational. It's an interesting take on each of this. It brings some cool insights and ideas but does so in an intriguing way. Apparently, the idea for this book grew out of the pre-sleep practices of the author during bouts of insomnia (or at least, times of difficulties falling asleep). She imagined a long line of individuals winding up a mountain path to visit a Holy Man.

Exploring the idea of turning it into a story, she includes the expect
ayrdaomei
Jan 23, 2008 ayrdaomei rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people, fans of morality tales and accessible philosophy
Shelves: finished
The Holy Man is a collection of short stories (each only 4 pages or so) about - wait for it - a Holy Man and the people seek him out. It's set in the modern world, but setting it in the modern world doesn't change the fable-like quality of the stories -- everyone's problems, doubts, and insecurities have a universal, timeless quality.

The Holy Man is a regular person, but he channels qualities of all the holy men in human history, and as such, his answers and responses to people's concerns also h
Louise Silk
The Holy Man is a delightful collection of little stories about people waiting in line to get to speak to The Holy Man, a regular guy named Joe with a deep sense of humanity. He takes each problem, doubt and personality into hand and folds it back onto itself to give the perfect answer.

What we see throughout is how the line itself brings the answers to each person's problem, doubt, and insecurities with a universal, timeless touch.

The stories are short and sweet telling a simple moral tale that
Melanie Darling
This book is simple yet profound. Its messages are powerful. It says so much by using basic examples of events we encounter in real life. Susan Trott so beautifully captures how much a positive, altruistic, and motivated mindset can transform the lives around you. I'd recommend this to anyone, and I read it yearly like it's a religious text because of how much of an inspiring impact it has had on my own life. The other two books, The Holy Man's Journey and The Holy Woman, are just as enjoyable, ...more
Machu Toogood
I read this book twice. Once when I was in my mid teens, going through some typical mid teen problems. You see, I was bored. Nothing satisfactorily entertained me. This book started my love of reading books that weren't pure Fantasy style. But alas, none really capture my attention like The Holy Man did.

I have just recently re-read this, some years after going through some of life's typical struggle. I've lost loved ones, someone attempted to murder me, you know, the usual. And my view of this b
Amy
This little book is a gem. It tells the story of a holy man who lives high on a mountain and dispenses advice to the many travelers who line up for months out of the year to get a chance to see and speak to him. Trott is a charming writer and the moral parables she weaves through the story are uplifting and inspire the reader to live better and to treat everyone he or she encounters as holy.
Sheila Callaham
I love this short, inspirational book! Each chapter is a vignette in its own right, highlighting the human search for happiness and the deeper meaning of life. The gently told stories explore how ego and our love of things over people often trips us up.

An absolutely delightful read! I gave my first copy to my mother and had to buy a second one to keep on my shelf for frequent quick reads!
Rah~ri
Ok.
Very cute. Light.
Fast read ... read it the other night?
Not many high hopes for it,
It's one of many similar books?
Reminiscent of Grudas ... or was it Gibran?
But either way i did end up liking it
and thinking of the folks in the story,
the tales told.
Made me smile!

Will recommend it to folks I know :)

Thanks!!!
Deb
Very quick little read, not sure it's profound but I suppose it would be called so. I was hooked on page 24. You will certainly see yourself and others in the interwoven stories. A good read whether you are searching for something or not.
Eurydice Caldwell
This book is a gentle and positive reminder of lessons we are here to practice. It has aided my honesty and openness. It relates to me on every level and if you want a lovely story to read, it is wonderful in it's simplicity.
Hannah
Apr 09, 2013 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Hannah by: Leah Laky
Major life lessons that show you that the journey you take is the true healing element in life.
See the depth behind the mundane.
Kate Burgan
One of the best and beautiful stories I have read about the "journey" to find spiritual self.
I read this book again every year.
Liz
Feb 02, 2014 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone seeking
Entertaining, captivating and very revealing. A modern allegory of the age old search for meaning. We follow pilgrims up a mountain to meet a Holy Man and find ourselves among them. (I was more than one pilgrim.) Where we tend to think of life's problems as complex and at times insurmountable, the answer may be very simple. I enjoyed reading about the "Holy Man's" own thoughts and struggles, confirming that no one has all the answers all the time. A quick read with lots to ponder. Its wisdom is ...more
Kim
A friend from church let me borrow this little book. Like most people said, it's a very quick and light read, but has many nuggets of wisdom embedded in the vignettes.

People - called pilgrims - from around the world travel to the mountain where the Holy Man lives and wait in a line during the summer months, waiting their turn to seek guidance and council from him. From their stories we learn to have patience, compassion, treat others with kindness, and enjoy life instead of worrying, among other
Janice Hoffman
This is one of my all time favorite books. I have drawn so much from this little gem over the years.
I have it on my nightstand with only a couple other books.

Should you choose to read this book, you will see a little bit of yourself in all the different people on their pilgrimage to meet and see the Holy Man. I bought it because of a recommendation from a bookstore employee. I am so glad I did. I also give this book as a gift. A real gem.
Rana Ansari
Susan Trott's inspiration to write this book came when she was counting the people waiting to see a holy man, as an alternative to counting the sheep, to combat her insomnia.
This book is a compilation of interconnected, seemingly pragmatic short stories, infused with sublime intrigue and enlightenment.
But what ever happened to her insomnia?
Penny
This was bought for me as a gift by a friend who said it had changed her life. I found it a wonderful and engaging little book which I read over a couple of days and I will definitely return to this again. I am not sure if it has changed my life, but I have certainly been given something to think about!
Heather C.
Our most recent book club pick. Three days after I finished it I can tell that it will be a story that I enjoy and think about much more after closing the last page than while I was actually reading it. A short tale about people who travel to get advice from a "holy man" about their problems. Most of them seem to work out the problems on the trek up the mountain, and some seem to not really be wanting to hear the answer they need. A few learn simple, real life lessons that are representative of ...more
Ecosthetics
A recommended chapter-a-day, devotional kind of book. Both the Holy Man and it's counterpart, The Holy Man's Journey are short but thought inspiring. They will likely cause the conscientious person to look closely at her/himself, and possibly to adjust their world-view.
Catherine
I rarely give five stars. That fifth star for me is for stories that are a joy to read aloud.
Allan S.
A simple and delightful read about the holy and the ordinary and the dance between them. Simple and profound.
Barbi Schulick
A favorite of mine for many years. Many satisfying insights woven into a delightful and poignant tale.
Julie Bryer
This is a very lovely book to read on and off, when you are seeking revelations.
Jimena Arroyo
Amazingly wise and thought-provoking. I'm so glad I've read this book.
Dayat
Novel ini menceritakan tentang seorang rahib buddha yang tinggal di sebuah monastri yang dikenali sebagai 'the holy man'.
Ramai pengunjung yang menziarah ke monastri untuk berjumpa dengan rahib buddha ini.

Setiap orang dengan berbagai latar belakang dan tujuan. Dari situ penulis membedah permasalahan harian psikologi manusia secara santai, humor, hikmah dan penuh bergaya.

Memang sangat menarik dan menginspirasikan, terima kasih kepada Tuan Shaikh Nasir yang telah menyumbang serta megesyorkan buku
Heidi
a thoughtful book with lots to teach and easy to read
  • How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • God Makes the Rivers To Flow: Sacred Literature of the World
  • Muhammad: Prophet and Statesman
  • Between Vengeance and Forgiveness: Facing History after Genocide and Mass Violence
  • A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • The Cloud Sketcher: A Novel
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • One Story, One Song
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism
  • Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine "Morbid Curiosity"
  • Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Even The Stars Look Lonesome
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
Holy Man's Journey Sightings The Housewife and the Assassin Crane Spreads Wing: A Bigamist's Story The Holy Woman: Book Three of The Holy Man Trilogy

“Kim was, as always, utterly happy while running, in accord with nature, in harmony with the universe, in touch with the truth that was in him, full of love for all creatures even to the lowliest insect.” 2 likes
“Only you are yours.” 2 likes