Start by marking “The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Healing the Social Brain” as Want to Read:
The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Healing the Social Brain

The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Healing the Social Brain

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In
contrast to this view, recent theoretical advances in brain imaging have revealed
that the brain is an organ continually built and re-built by one's experience. We
are now beginning to learn that many forms of psychotherapy, developed in the
absence of any scientific understanding of the brain, are supported by neuroscientific
findings. In fact, it could be argued that to be
Published April 26th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy

Esra Bestel
This is the second book I am reading by Cozolino. I think he is a good writer and researcher. The thing is that every time I read what he writes which I like tremendously I think that our parents have a huge opportunity and ability to fuck our lives up from the day one without even knowing. It is quite depressing.
Laurie
The title says it pretty well: this book explains the physical aspects of the brain and how they are formed and changed by what the person experiences, starting from birth. While not set in stone, aspects of our personalities are actually set in the shapes and activity of our brains. It’s a circular effect: what happens to us shapes our brains, and then the shape of our brains sets how we react to things. But thankfully, our brains can and do continue to change throughout our lives.

There are ac
Sonia
Not quite completely read, but this is a book best read in sections anyway, I think, to absorb it more fully (something, incidentally, Cozolino would appreciate as being more in touch with the human brain's natural functions). Anyway, excuses aside - the parts of this I read were fascinating, especially the ways in which he links storytelling and narrative to brain function and the way we bridge different parts of the brain to make connections. I may not remember the medical terms for all the pa ...more
Trevor
Very insightful although more diagrams of the brain throughout would've helped non-biology majors like me.
Robin Mclaughlin
Currently, I have read about half of this book and I am amazed at how straight forward and accessable Cozolino has presented this material. While the human brain remains humans' final frontier, Cozolino provides empirical evidence that supports the efficiacy of psychotherapy. Brillant!
Robin
I am amazed at how straight forward and accessible Cozolino has presented this material. While the human brain remains humans' final frontier, Cozolino provides empirical evidence that supports the efficacy of psychotherapy. Brilliant!
Robespierre Cat
I thought this book was mildly and at times greatly interesting though taking every subject known and casting it as neuroscience is beginning to bore me.
Kevin
Excellent integration of therapy and brain science, although the last part was a little too speculative for my personal taste.
I'm using this in my Applied Biopsychology class for graduate students in counseling psychology. The students love it!
Aunnalea
Science!! This is heavy reading, sometimes too heavy for my not-so-science oriented brain, but I LOVE the conclusions.
Joshua Borer
Joshua Borer marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Rob Blinn
Rob Blinn marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rob Blinn
Rob Blinn marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Shawn Fields
Shawn Fields is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Reid
Reid marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
AT
AT marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca Mccartney
Rebecca Mccartney marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Patrick Welsh
Patrick Welsh marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Days in the Lives of Social Workers: 58 Professionals Tell Real-Life Stories From Social Work Practice
  • Attachment  (Attachment and loss #1)
  • Being a Brain-Wise Therapist: A Practical Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment
  • Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation
  • Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life
  • Counseling with Choice Theory: The New Reality Therapy
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Consequential Strangers: The Power of People Who Don't Seem to Matter. . . But Really Do
  • Five Minds for the Future
  • Windows to Our Children
The Neuroscience of Human Relationships: Attachment And the Developing Social Brain The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain The Making of a Therapist: A Practical Guide for the Inner Journey The Healthy Aging Brain: Sustaining Attachment, Attaining Wisdom The Social Neuroscience of Education: Optimizing Attachment and Learning in the Classroom