Start by marking “The Radix (John Brynstone #1)” as Want to Read:
The Radix (John Brynstone #1)

The Radix (John Brynstone #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  367 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
For centuries, the Radix existed in rumor and secrecy. Saints whispered its legend. Alchemists craved its power. Armies fought and died to possess it. Five hundred years ago, it vanished from the earth. History's greatest mystery, lost to the ages.

Until now.

The Radix tells the story of a legendary relic thought to possess extraordinary powers. Paleopathologist and elite go
Published May 1st 2010 by Leisure Books (first published April 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Radix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Radix

Suspense Magazine
Jun 22, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it it was amazing
John Brynstone, an agent for the US Special Collection Service, has been assigned to attain the Radix, an ancient relic with mystical powers. Because of these powers, there are numerous persons and groups vying to possess it.

Billed as a historical mystery, “The Radix” comes across much more as a thriller and you will be hard-pressed to put this book down. This is Brett King’s debut novel which he deftly combines fiction with historical facts and events. He admits in the author’s note at the end
Liz Terek
Jan 04, 2016 Liz Terek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although 'The Radix' is a work of fiction, there is an incredible amount of factual history mixed in. Thankfully, Brett King includes a note at the book's end to explain which is which.

John is a true hero, a man's man. His dedication to his family is intense- to a fault. The string of additional heroes & villains is lengthy. Every major religion & myth is discussed to some extent. Brett King is respectful to each. There isn't any complaint there. Even the characters themselves have a P.
Jim
Feb 16, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Fairly early in the book our hero is chased out of a mountain estate, yet has time to start a helicopter and escape in it. One of his antagonists, who he had just knocked unconscious before fleeing, grabs the helicopter skids and shoots a hole in the gas tank before being safely brushed off by skimming over pine trees. So our hero crashes the helicopter, carefully affording a ski top restaurant, but unfortunately starting an avalanche and cutting the cable to the gondola. Fortunately, only the o ...more
ZaBeth  Marsh
Jun 02, 2010 ZaBeth Marsh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: michelle
Recommended to ZaBeth by: rt2010
This book reads like it is ready to go straight to a movie screen. If you like James Bond meets Da Vinci Code than this is the book for you.

There is a twisted who dun-it type plot where everyone is in search of the mythical root from the Tree of Life called the Radix. It is said to make the perfect medicine. More people have reason to want this than are listed in a New York phone book and it is just as difficult to determine good from evil in this book than to find the correct Jane Smith the sai
Doris
Jan 15, 2016 Doris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!

If I could give it ten stars, I would. Fast paced, action packed thriller, with a mystery that goes back 500 years. The first chapter will grab hold of you, and won't let go. Intelligently written, and thanks to the auto look-up features on Kindle, (worth taking the time to look deeper into certain things) I was able to learn a few things while reading this highly entertaining novel. Best book I've read in a long time. Would love to see this one made into a movie.
James
Jul 24, 2011 James rated it really liked it
I have some bias toward this book, as it was penned by my uncle-in-law. Putting that aside, it really was a great story. From the start is is packed with suspense, action, and intrigue. Being the work of a psychology professor, there is a good amount of history strewn about, as well as plenty of mind games and twisting plots.

Part of my bias is based on my knowing that the author has been writing this for nearly ten years, and spend a good deal of time trying to break entry into publication. Thi
Dave
Dec 01, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't recommend

The story was too convoluted. There were too many characters and almost every one of them was coincidently connected to either the protagonist or another person.

The writing was fair, more on the level of a pulp-style novel than literature. There's nothing particularly bad about that but I just prefer writing that has a bit more to offer.

Oni
Jan 15, 2015 Oni rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Radix is an easy read. You can finish it in one sitting. It is about a US Agent, trying to hunt down a relic with supernatural power, the Radix. In his mission, he is going to face many challenges, from his enemies and also his friends. Overall it is a classic thriller-chased Hollywood action.

The good thing about this book is that it doesn't try to exaggerate. It is written simply to entertain, and it does. It does not pretend to be the next great thing (like many other books, and failed). The a
Jennifer Robertson
Good book

Very good read. I just could not put it down until I got to the end. If you like the Da Vinci Code, you'll like this.
Samyuktha Ell
Jan 03, 2015 Samyuktha Ell rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book! For all its plot twists and turns and mix of fact and fiction, The Radix is a book I am grateful to have stumbled upon. And now, I just HAVE to go visit the Notre Dame. And explore the place for myself. Incredible writing by Brett King.
Laura J
Apr 15, 2014 Laura J rated it it was amazing
This book kept my interest. Well written story line.
Christie Mitchell
Apr 07, 2014 Christie Mitchell rated it liked it
Fun read.
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
The Radix was a great action thriller to read from a first-time author. The Radix is a medicinal plant that was thought to have become extinct centuries ago. A difficult mission turns out even more difficult than expected as the **real** purpose has been shrouded in lies. Add in the cross-purposes by other parties, and this is a non-stop adventure. You WILL have trouble putting this book down.
Matt
Jul 10, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very fun read, similar to Dan Brown (mixing fact with fiction, secret societies, crypto scavenger hunts) but not quite as well written. i picked it up for $1 on a Kindle sale and i'm glad that i did. it kept getting better as it went along, really picking up steam at around page 100 or so. the end was left wide open for a sequel, and if he writes one, i'll be reading it.
Alex
Feb 05, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
I'm a bit biased because I love the author, as anyone who's taken his class will say. The story is very interesting, the twists are great, and the historical details/inside jokes?(I guess that's what I'll call them) are awesome & hilarious. That said, the actual writing left a little to be desired (though I'd put it roughly on par w/ Dan Brown). 4/5 stars.
Denise Johnson
Jun 15, 2014 Denise Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A combination of "James Bond" action and "National Treasure" mystery

The book was pretty well written. A nice mixture of impossible action with treasure seeking clues. There was quite a bit of jumping between characters which could lose you if you don't pay attention. All in all, not bad.
Sonia Hernandez
Apr 16, 2015 Sonia Hernandez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprise i was going to enjoy this story. The story has actual historical figures in the back story, but with a twist. the story carries itself very well, with a bit of adventure, suspense, and sci fi. I'm looking forward to reading another book by Brett King.
Erin
Oct 24, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
I absolutely love these kinds of books where it involves lost treasures and religious mysteries. If you like Dan Brown books, you will love this one. I think I was some kind of archeologist or code breaker in a former life!
shelly gridley
Dec 13, 2013 shelly gridley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Radix

exciting novel.gripping tale.could not put down. would recommend to anyone who liked the Robert Langdon books or Indiana Jones movies .some interesting theories about certain symbol.
Darla
Nov 14, 2012 Darla rated it really liked it
Would love to see it as a movie! Written with great detail, my imagination didn't have to work to visualize nor feel the suspense. Great book. Where is book 2?
M.
Feb 25, 2013 M. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! There was lots of action and history. Sometimes the dialog was a bit bogged down by too much information, but it was overall a fun read.
Luannharrah
Am reading now, can't put it down. A great book.Feels like 8 am right there with them living the story.
Janie Hetherington
Aug 08, 2011 Janie Hetherington rated it it was ok
i know the author and he is a terrific, smart guy! this book is similar to The Da Vinci Code
Tracey Hasabag
Jul 24, 2011 Tracey Hasabag is currently reading it
Just read the cover and it looks very promising. I'll keep you posted.
Anastasia
Feb 13, 2015 Anastasia rated it did not like it
Way too James Rollins wannabe. it just didn't grab me at all.
Paula Howard
Jan 30, 2012 Paula Howard rated it really liked it
Good twist of mystery, espionage, historical fiction and religion.
Kerry Stewart
Mar 23, 2012 Kerry Stewart marked it as to-read
Ally's professor wrote this book!
Harnser
Harnser marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ellen Prechtl
Ellen Prechtl rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
  • The Gargoyle in the Seine
  • Ancient Echoes
  • The Hand of Christ (The Sterling Novels, #1)
  • Pago Pago Tango (Jungle Beat #1)
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • Killing Maine
  • The Forbidden Territory
  • The Survivors Club
  • Passage Graves
  • Solomon's Throne
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • The Bleiberg Project (Consortium #1)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • The Cleansing (Earth Haven, #1)
  • Risen: The Novelization of the Major Motion Picture
  • Invisible Armies
  • India Black and the Rajah's Ruby (Madam of Espionage, #0.5)

John Brynstone (2 books)
  • The False Door (John Brynstone #2)

“That looked like an intense little conversation,” she said. “Who called?” “President of the United States,” he answered, starting the engine. “Okay, fine,” Cori sighed. “Don’t tell me.” 0 likes
“would, to satisfy a whim, destroy God and all the universe. —Leonardo da Vinci” 0 likes