The Radix

The Radix

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A U.S. agent has been hired to locate the legendary Radix, a relic with sacred healing powers, but the Knights of Malta will stop at nothing to get the relic for their own use.
Published May 1st 2010 by Leisure Books (first published April 24th 2010)

Suspense Magazine
John Brynstone, an agent for the US Special Collection Service, has been assigned to attain the Radix, an ancient relic with mystical powers. Because of these powers, there are numerous persons and groups vying to possess it.

Billed as a historical mystery, “The Radix” comes across much more as a thriller and you will be hard-pressed to put this book down. This is Brett King’s debut novel which he deftly combines fiction with historical facts and events. He admits in the author’s note at the end...more
Jim
Fairly early in the book our hero is chased out of a mountain estate, yet has time to start a helicopter and escape in it. One of his antagonists, who he had just knocked unconscious before fleeing, grabs the helicopter skids and shoots a hole in the gas tank before being safely brushed off by skimming over pine trees. So our hero crashes the helicopter, carefully affording a ski top restaurant, but unfortunately starting an avalanche and cutting the cable to the gondola. Fortunately, only the o...more
ZaBeth
Jun 02, 2010 ZaBeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: michelle
Recommended to ZaBeth by: rt2010
This book reads like it is ready to go straight to a movie screen. If you like James Bond meets Da Vinci Code than this is the book for you.

There is a twisted who dun-it type plot where everyone is in search of the mythical root from the Tree of Life called the Radix. It is said to make the perfect medicine. More people have reason to want this than are listed in a New York phone book and it is just as difficult to determine good from evil in this book than to find the correct Jane Smith the sai...more
James
I have some bias toward this book, as it was penned by my uncle-in-law. Putting that aside, it really was a great story. From the start is is packed with suspense, action, and intrigue. Being the work of a psychology professor, there is a good amount of history strewn about, as well as plenty of mind games and twisting plots.

Part of my bias is based on my knowing that the author has been writing this for nearly ten years, and spend a good deal of time trying to break entry into publication. Thi...more
Jennifer Robertson
Good book

Very good read. I just could not put it down until I got to the end. If you like the Da Vinci Code, you'll like this.
Laura J
This book kept my interest. Well written story line.
Marie
The Radix was a great action thriller to read from a first-time author. The Radix is a medicinal plant that was thought to have become extinct centuries ago. A difficult mission turns out even more difficult than expected as the **real** purpose has been shrouded in lies. Add in the cross-purposes by other parties, and this is a non-stop adventure. You WILL have trouble putting this book down.
Matt
very fun read, similar to Dan Brown (mixing fact with fiction, secret societies, crypto scavenger hunts) but not quite as well written. i picked it up for $1 on a Kindle sale and i'm glad that i did. it kept getting better as it went along, really picking up steam at around page 100 or so. the end was left wide open for a sequel, and if he writes one, i'll be reading it.
Alex
I'm a bit biased because I love the author, as anyone who's taken his class will say. The story is very interesting, the twists are great, and the historical details/inside jokes?(I guess that's what I'll call them) are awesome & hilarious. That said, the actual writing left a little to be desired (though I'd put it roughly on par w/ Dan Brown). 4/5 stars.
Denise Johnson
A combination of "James Bond" action and "National Treasure" mystery

The book was pretty well written. A nice mixture of impossible action with treasure seeking clues. There was quite a bit of jumping between characters which could lose you if you don't pay attention. All in all, not bad.
Erin
I absolutely love these kinds of books where it involves lost treasures and religious mysteries. If you like Dan Brown books, you will love this one. I think I was some kind of archeologist or code breaker in a former life!
shelly gridley
Radix

exciting novel.gripping tale.could not put down. would recommend to anyone who liked the Robert Langdon books or Indiana Jones movies .some interesting theories about certain symbol.
Darla
Would love to see it as a movie! Written with great detail, my imagination didn't have to work to visualize nor feel the suspense. Great book. Where is book 2?
M.
I enjoyed this book! There was lots of action and history. Sometimes the dialog was a bit bogged down by too much information, but it was overall a fun read.
Luannharrah
Am reading now, can't put it down. A great book.Feels like 8 am right there with them living the story.
Janie Hetherington
i know the author and he is a terrific, smart guy! this book is similar to The Da Vinci Code
Tracey Hasabag
Jul 24, 2011 Tracey Hasabag is currently reading it
Just read the cover and it looks very promising. I'll keep you posted.
Paula Howard
Good twist of mystery, espionage, historical fiction and religion.
Kerry Stewart
Mar 23, 2012 Kerry Stewart marked it as to-read
Ally's professor wrote this book!
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Kylie Bodiya
Kylie Bodiya marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Alden
Alden marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
The False Door Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking Getting Started with IBM Websphere Smash, Portable Documents