Start by marking “Robert's Rules of Order” as Want to Read:
Robert's Rules of Order

Robert's Rules of Order

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Robert's Rules of Order (Newly Revised, 10th Edition)
Paperback, 10th Edition, 704 pages
Published November 9th 2000 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Robert's Rules of Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert's Rules of Order

Amy Drew
hahaha! this is the book I used to "read" when I was 3 and couldn't actually read yet but wanted everyone to think I could. I carried it with me everywhere, and could often be found curled up in a corner, staring intently at the usually upside-down words.
Shanice
Aug 25, 2008 Shanice rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who need to learn about legal precedures
Very informational. I learned a alot. But, one of the most boring books I have ever laid eyes on
Jim Slaughter
There are lots of books with Robert’s Rules in the title. However, most of these books are earlier editions of Robert’s or knock-offs. If you are supposed to follow the "latest edition” of Robert's, this is your book--Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (11th Edition), published in 2011. Each new edition brings changes to procedure. The latest has 120.

While Robert's Rules may not seem like a "let's cozy up with a book" kind of read, the book is a wonderful resource for anyone who has to spend
Warren Sibley
Mar 03, 2008 Warren Sibley is currently reading it
Hope I can finish this sandpaper to my eyelids...
Erik Graff
Jan 10, 2015 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parliamentarians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sciences, reference
Although exposed to Robert's Rules in high school I never really got down to studying and regularly employing them until the responsibilities of chairing Socialist Party meetings was thrust upon me in the early eighties. Then, particularly at contentious sessions of our national conventions, having a common guide was of great help in managing--and sometimes manipulating--disputes and digressions.
Willa
Dec 05, 2009 Willa rated it it was amazing
Outstanding bedtime reading -- guaranteed to put you to sleep in short order. For people who believe that organizational bylaws are to be "followed" and aren't just general guidelines to be followed or not as the mood beckons.Got this when searching how to "fire" an officer of an organization. It has the "how to" answers.
ShiraHE
Nov 13, 2016 ShiraHE marked it as to-read
Shelves: election12016
I am told that IRV (Instant Run-off Voting) is described in Robert's Rules, so would like to compare that to the Ranked Choice voting now used in the state of Maine and elsewhere.
Shira
13 November, 12016 HE
Kiessa
Feb 27, 2012 Kiessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I vote this the most boring book ever to be penned by man..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........
Craig
Sep 14, 2010 Craig added it
I learned a lot of things I had been doing incorrectly in the past. Always go to the source!
Jim Slaughter
Robert's Rules of Order: The Standard Guide to Parliamentary Procedure is a 1982 reprint of the 1893 Robert's Rules of Order with added illustrations. While it may be of historical interest, it's not the current Robert's Rules of Order.

Robert's is regularly updated, and there have been many editions since the 1893 version. Each new edition brings changes to procedure (the latest has 120, with both new practices and names of motions). If you're supposed to follow the "most recent edition" of Robe
Charles
Feb 17, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing
I spent many years working with County Legislatures. If you don't have a solid grasp of Robert's Rules of Order, you will be run roughshod over by those who do. Also essential for self-selecting groups who vote on what the group is going to do. Like many rulebooks, this can be used for ill or good purpose, so if you are involved in any official or unofficial political movement, or anything that involves a Board of Directors, you absolutely need to know Robert's Rules.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 25, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it
These are the rules of parliamentary procedure used everywhere from club meetings to the United States Senate. So if you're running a meeting--or want to make sure others are keeping to the rules--this is an essential reference to not just have on your shelves, but take with you--so a pocket-sized guide like mine helps. The one thing to be aware of in purchasing is that this book has gone through several revisions and editions, so you want to make sure you get the latest one.
Lee Paris
Modern Summary is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The "plain and simple English" part of this book is poorly written and full of inaccuracies which will be obvious to the reader who goes on to read the text of the 1915 edition of ROR, which is included. Good thing the copyright on that edition recently expired, or the poor reader would have just enough inaccurate information to embarrass him at a meeting.
Pedro Cabiya
Jan 15, 2016 Pedro Cabiya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, reference
If you, like me, preside over a secret society, then you know how chaotic the meetings can be. Buy a gavel and this book, and say goodbye to all your problems. Everybody will have his or her say, issues will be discussed, decided upon and CLOSED, and in general everything will move so much more swiftly.
Desiree Finkbeiner
Aug 05, 2013 Desiree Finkbeiner rated it really liked it
This book is what it is. Not the most exciting read, but definitely a book to skim for anyone who plans on joining committees and attending meetings where rules of order are used. I found it at a yardsale for a dime and snatched it up. A good one to have in a personal library.
Ken
Jan 08, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
This is not the most exciting book , but a Must Read for anyone involved in business or being on any board of directors. It shares critical insights into the inner workings & proper etiquette of how to conduct a meeting.
Craig
Jul 15, 2009 Craig rated it really liked it
Anyone conducting a business meeting or participating in business or governmental meeting as a member with voting rights or desiring to participate in discussion (debate) should at least scan this book to be apprised of his/her rights and the parlimentary procedure in general.
Rashelle Isip
Mar 24, 2014 Rashelle Isip rated it it was amazing
The one, the only...THE book on parliamentary procedure. This is a must-have if you want to know how to run productive and successful meetings and gatherings. It may sound hard to believe, but I begged my dad to read this to me as a child. Yep, that's how much I love order...
Emily
Nov 09, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is essential to setting up an organization. I haven't really read the whole thing (you wouldn't want to), but refer to it often. Currently I am writhing bylaws for the Constitution Party of Weber County and couldn't do it without it.
Ginger Anderson
Excellent resource for any ordinary society/organization to refer to for meeting procedure, duties of officers, rights and responsibilities of members, and the organization of the society itself.

Not a book great for just reading cover to cover, but a reference book.
Sylvester
Dec 04, 2015 Sylvester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, law
Robert's Rules of Orders is a guide to conduct meetings in a civilized manner, it contains all the basics that you need to know and it offers explanations for all the jargon. Well worth a read, this edition also features Will Eisner's drawings so his fans would enjoy this too.
Nora
Sep 04, 2016 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
really useful as a framework for writing up laws and proceedings - realized that our school constitution is largely lifted right out of this book. (which is why some of it doesn't make much sense)
Ines Starkey
Jan 27, 2012 Ines Starkey rated it it was amazing
Great way to step into Board with confidence.
Sharon Vannan
NG.

Not what I hoped for, thought it would be an overview of more than just making a motion. Wouldn't recommend
Jackie
informative, useful, but oh my what a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Tianna
Apr 03, 2008 Tianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I learned alot about parliamentary procedure (and I would recommend it if you want to learn that) It was frankly, boring.
Melly
Sep 15, 2010 Melly rated it it was amazing
fav
Rgauthie
May 27, 2013 Rgauthie rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-and-read
ok, so I was a nerd in high school, and read this cover to cover, to learn about parliamentary procedure. It was still easier to read the Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.
Jef Travis
This version of Robert's Rules of Order will further deepen one's understanding of how the framework of western fraternalism is structured.
Recommendations 1 2 Jan 13, 2016 07:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please Add Cover 8 27 Sep 16, 2015 08:56PM
Mission: Impossible 2 26 Feb 09, 2014 11:16AM
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • New Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000
  • Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World
  • The New Way Things Work
  • The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill
  • Memoirs of General W.T. Sherman
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
U.S. Army Colonel Henry Martyn Robert (1837–1923)

In 1863 when Robert was chosen to preside over a church meeting and, although he accepted the task, felt that he did not have the necessary knowledge of proper procedure.

In his later work as an active member of several organizations, Robert discovered that members from different areas of the country had very different views regarding what the prop
More about Henry Martyn Robert...

“Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of liberty.” 4 likes