Start by marking “A Cruel Harvest” as Want to Read:
A Cruel Harvest

A Cruel Harvest

Set in 1790, A Cruel Harvest tells the epic tale of Orlaith and Brannon, young lovers whose futures are jeopardized when Moorish pirates raid their Irish fishing village. Orlaith and her infant son manage to escape the savage attack, but Brannon is captured. Thrown into the hold of the pirates' ship, the young farmer is spirited away to the harsh confines of North Africa. ...more
337 pages
Published 2010 by Amazon Encore

To ask other readers questions about A Cruel Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cruel Harvest

Janet
Jun 14, 2010 Janet rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I'm surprised by the other reviews. This book has a great premise, but the characters are two-dimensional, the descriptions overwrought, and what should be an exciting story is boring.

slogged through 116 pages because it was the only thing I had to read during a long commute, but I put it down with gratitude when I got home and I'm not going to pick it up again.
Tara Chevrestt
This book started with a ton of excitement. As a matter of fact, the entire book is fast paced and exciting full of plot twists and drama. It begins with Moroccan pirates attacking a small Irish town and abducting as many future slaves as they can. One of those abducted Irish people is Brannon. He must unwillingly leave behind the woman he loves, Orlaith.

So... Brannon ends up a slave and soldier to a very evil Moroccan sultan. While he struggles with everyday life in forced servitude, he finds
Jeannie Mancini
Jun 02, 2010 Jeannie Mancini rated it liked it
Paul Reid, a newcomer author to the historical fiction genre comes on board with his debut book "A Cruel Harvest"; a story of two lovers forced apart through tragedy. This is a tale previously told multiple times over by many other authors in various ways.

During a violent tempest on the coast of Ireland in 1790, lovers Orlaith, a stunning dark haired beauty who is struggling during hard times as a widow to raise her son alone, and her tall strong blonde and blued-eyed lover Brannon, are torn ap
N. Sasson
Apr 20, 2010 N. Sasson rated it it was amazing
Paul Reid’s debut novel, A Cruel Harvest, is an irresistible tale that intertwines romance and adventure in one breathtaking sweep. Reid’s book transports the reader to faraway places with striking realism: from the verdant, wind-blown Irish coastline, to the squalor of a slave ship, to the opulence of a sultan’s palace, and to the desolate sun-scorched deserts of Morocco. This book will not only capture your imagination, but your heart, as well.

The story begins with two young lovers, Brannon Ry
Sara McGuinness
Jul 03, 2010 Sara McGuinness rated it it was amazing
I was given and recommended this book by a friend, and hadn't been expecting to enjoy it. I was surprised. It sweeps majestically from the coast of Ireland all the way to the deserts of Morocco, taking in pirate raids, lovers torn apart, arab rebellions, wind-battered castles, wily sultans and cruel Irish landlords.

The story begins with two young people, Orlaith and Brannon, who are separated when vicious North African pirates steal into their village and take Brannon captive along with many ot
Nicole
Jun 28, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok
This book started out as an interesting idea. It was not well researched. The vernacular is all wrong for the time period. In the interest of making the lead male funny and lovable, all respect to the time period was thrown out the window. As a romance I believe that to be a stretch. There are male authors who manage to capture 'romance' this is not one of them. There is a lot of a adventure and not much else. Perhaps a good baseline for a bad movie, that is what you have here.
Susan
Aug 13, 2010 Susan rated it did not like it
I read this only because of the hope I had that it would be a great pirate story. What a disappointment! It was so predictable I actually wondered if I had read it before!! Great cover though! Love the ship;)
Annelise
May 28, 2010 Annelise rated it it was amazing
Just finished A Cruel Harvest - what a great book! Action packed to the end - would make a great movie.
Lori
Jun 24, 2010 Lori rated it it was ok
The Irish coastline, abduction into slavery, Morocco, being "forced" into marriage..........all make for a great adventure. I loved the premise of this book and the potential. Unfortunately, I don't feel it lived up to that (it's potential.) It was entertaining but predictable and I don't feel the characters really lived up to who they could have been. It seems to just skim the surface of what it could have been.
My biggest beef was when the author Paul Reid, tried to write through the eyes of S
Tom Wolfe
Jul 01, 2010 Tom Wolfe rated it it was amazing
This is a very intense, fast-moving story, detailing the aftermath of a pirate raid upon an Irish village in the 18th century, in which a young man is torn from his lover and sold into slavery in Morocco. While the raid itself provides the spark, the story soon evolves into a far more complex drama and an increasingly high-stakes adventure, between both Ireland and Morocco. The early chapters set the scene and are mostly action-based, but as the book goes on we get to see inside the heads of the ...more
Christie Anderson
Feb 10, 2011 Christie Anderson rated it liked it
This was a good book, but it left me with a sense of wasted time. The idea was good, plot was okay but there were a couple of problems I had with it. The whole desperate mother saved by cruel man and she kills him thing is annoying. No woman would have gotten away with that-no matter how much money her lover had. First of all, she was without an acceptable class and so was her lover. That was just one of things that annoyed me. What I liked, however, was the imagery-especially the places where t ...more
Stephanie G
Dec 05, 2014 Stephanie G rated it really liked it
So, I saw this book on the BookBub list serve and I was definitely intrigued. The idea of pirates and lost loves appealed to me greatly.

The first thing I will say is that this book has *so* much potential. It is already quite exciting and the action of the book draws you in. The style of telling bits of Brannon's story and then bits of Orlaith's keeps you reading. You get frustrated when Reid switches perspectives, actually -- I was always dying to see what Orlaith or Brannon were going to do n
Andrea Dowd
Sep 19, 2011 Andrea Dowd rated it really liked it
When I cracked open "A Cruel Harvest", I was skeptical that this first novel was going to be terrible. The reason for this was mostly due to the fact that it was published by Amazon...yes, Amazon. Imagine my surprise when I was gripped by the dual story lines and tangible characters.

The story of "A Cruel Harvest" starts out in the 1790s in coastal Ireland, Orlaith, a widow with a small child, and Brannon, farmer and hot neighbor, are in love. They are soon ripped apart by Moroccan pirates, who a
Julie
Jun 24, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
Not sure where I picked this book up from and how it was recommended to me but I'd consider it something like watching "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" or maybe like "Big Brother" on TV. No, the book isn't that bad but it's like those shows because if you flip to them you get sucked in and you want to know what happens next so you keep on watching even though it's just ok. That was my feeling with this book, things kept on happening to the main characters but you always knew that they would get ...more
Jayne dArcy
Jan 18, 2014 Jayne dArcy rated it really liked it
Trish
Oct 29, 2014 Trish rated it it was ok
Story is there, but please, where are characters? There's some competent writing here - prose is pretty good, there are a few nice cliffhangers along the way, the pacing's not bad - but just giving people names and a couple of predictable behavioral traits (oh no, Randall Whiteley is a bad and rapacious landlord, say it isn't so!) doesn't cut it.
Predictability really is the watchword of this book. If you want this was the very first story of this type you had ever read - two lovers separated by
Kristen Schrader (Wenke)
LKM
Sep 05, 2011 LKM rated it it was ok
I got this through Goodreads First Reads, and although I'm very grateful, I have to say, I did not manage to finish this book.

Like with some other reviewers I agree that this had a great premise, but as I read on and on I found the characters to be rather bland and boring, and the only thing I enjoyed was the carefulness with which settings were described.
It had more of an angst-factor than I expected it to have (I mean, I expected angst, but not like that), and I also expected more pirate-acti
Selene
Sep 18, 2010 Selene rated it it was amazing
This was one of two books that I read on holiday (the other being a John Grisham) and I felt that this was by far the better of the pair. It tells of Irish people being taken as slaves to Morocco in the 18th century. Beautifully written, with some incredible exitement and a very touching romance at the heart of it, and also something of a thriller element with the conspiracies that develop in Morocco. A very enjoyable and satisfying read, one of those books where you can hear a great soundtrack ...more
Booknblues
Jan 19, 2016 Booknblues rated it it was ok
If you are looking for a quick easy read that requires little thought and desire a book filled with swashbuckling action A Cruel Harvest fits the bill.
Paul Reid got the idea for the book when he discovered a village in Ireland in which a large portion of its population was abducted in the late 1600's. He moved this occurrence one hundred years forward for his story.
His writing is clumsy and storytelling is clunky. This is a first effort so one can hope he will become more polished.
Kelly Sylvester
Mar 21, 2013 Kelly Sylvester rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, as it was totally not what I expected. You never think of white people being enslaved, and this is about the Irish being enslaved and sent to the middle east. It is an epic love story of sorts, beautifully written and captivating. I fell in love with the characters. I strongly recommend it to all of my female friends and family
Yelania Nightwalker
This book was not what I expected but it was good. A little predictable, slow romance, a male character interesting and charismatic, but unfortunately falls short. I think being the first author's book, the story was nice and enjoyable.

-->I received this book through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.
Elaine
As I read this, I think of Walt Disney animations. You know. Like Lion King or something on that idea. You pretty much know what's going to happen in many places along the way and who the hero is going to be. Slightly different setup and different characters playing the parts.

It's an adventure story. A romance.
Tammy
Jan 05, 2015 Tammy rated it it was amazing
This has been the best historical fiction I have read in some time. The amount of detail and description draws you into the story. The author must of gone to great lengths of research. Lots of action and adventure I couldn't put it down.
Sjancourtz
Sep 29, 2010 Sjancourtz rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly well-written bodice ripper. Cruel sultans, lustful lords, flashing scimitars, true love, treachery and honor, the true king vs. the usurper, sailing ships and spitting camels. Beautiful, almost lyrical descriptions of Ireland, the sea, the desert. Totally fun and engrossing!
Bill
Feb 18, 2012 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basic premise is good (Arab slavers hitting the Irish coast, lovers separated, English aristocracy with its boot on the Irish neck) but lacks depth and the time period is too late (early in the 18th century rather than 1790 would be more historically accurate).
Nicole
Dec 04, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Every page was just as exciting as the next! Reid really made the characters come alive, each of them moving to save each other all while trying to save themselves. It was a wonderful story of life, survival, love and family. Amazing book!
Rachel
Oct 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Eh, it was ok. Too sweet of an ending and constant dues-ex-machina-esque plot saves. It was almost tiring in its predictability. At spots I was almost hoping that someone good would die. It just felt too happy-happy miracles everywhere.
Saskia
Dec 27, 2014 Saskia rated it it was ok
The book started out good, but it got to jumbled up after 1/4. I didn't feel the book was about two young lovers torn apart. There was to much going on in Brannon story and Orlaith and Sean were just annoying.
Jackie White
Jul 19, 2015 Jackie White rated it really liked it
Non stop action, lots of bloody murders written very graphically !
Saga of war & love - slightly weak/predictable ending but otherwise a really good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bride And The Buccaneer
  • In This Hospitable Land
  • My Lady Pirate (Heros of the Sea, #3)
  • The Seahawk's Sanctuary
  • Ship of Dreams
  • Stronger than Sin (Sin Hunters, #2)
  • Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)
  • Treasured Chest
  • Love's First Bloom (Hearts Along The River #2)
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • A New Birth of Freedom: The Visitor
  • Ten Ruby Trick (Pirates of Estovan, #1)
  • For the Love of a Pirate
  • Wolves Among Us (Chronicles of the Scribe #3)
  • Within a Captain's Hold (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #1)
  • Walker's Wedding (The Western Sky Series, #3)
  • Splendor
  • The Sparks Fly Upward (Makepeace Hedley)