Start by marking “Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)

Dirty Work (Stone Barrington #9)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,511 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Back in New York City after the London adventures of The Short Forever, cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is approached by a colleague at the firm of Woodman & Weld who needs help with a celebrity divorce case. Heiress Elena Marks needs proof of her layabout husband's infidelity before she can begin divorce proceedings. When the undercover work Stone sets up turns dir ...more
ebook
Published May 19th 2004 by Signet Book (first published April 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Work

Jerry
Maybe best Barrington yet - great action suspense & thrills!

We were growing a bit tired of Woods' Stone Barrington series, feeling that the last few were kind of lackluster -- more concerned about Stone's love life and lifestyle than delivering the suspenseful tales we have seen in numerous earlier outings and in Woods' new Holly Barker series. To our delight, "Dirty Work" brings Stone back in a great yarn -- one with such suspenseful action throughout we could hardly turn the pages fast en
David Erickson
Handling the less than savory cases for the law firm of Woodman and Weld, Stone Barrington is assigned to look into the philandering of a rich woman’s husband, but the photographer Stone hires literally drops in on the subject of the surveillance, and it looks like the fall killed him. But a simple peep and click turns into a search for an international killer and an intimate assignation with an alluring British spy.

This is Stuart Woods doing what Stuart Woods does – writing entertaining stories
Lexi
I was looking for a new author to read and based on this book, I will continue to look. The story was not new and the characters were poorly developed.

The story line lurched from one murder to another with a few bouts of sex in between. Everything happened too quickly and easily (changing appearances, moves to safe houses, trip to St Thomas). There was little drama or tension. It was hard to believe that the villain made so many mistakes after all of her prior successes. Even the hero's conscie
Carl
can i give this thing negative stars? this just goes to show that you never rely on illiterate convenience store clerks for book reading suggestions.
Genie
Ex-cop/lawyer/PI Stone Barrington is once again caught up in the world of international spy network thanks to his friend, British intelligence agent "Carpenter". Carpenter inadvertently draws Stone into her life-and-death struggle with a well known and highly efficient female assassins, La Biche. It all begins when a clumsey young photographer, Herbie, goes on an assignment to photograph an adulterous husband of a client of Stone's. While trying to shoot the photographs, Herbie falls through a s ...more
Greg Bascom
The series character Stone Barrington is a lawyer, unmarried, living in an office/home that is a mansion in New York. He also has a cottage up in Connecticut, buys two dozen tailor made shirts at a time without asking the price, and never has less than twenty-five thousand cash in his safe. He is not the sort you would expect to get his hands soiled doing dirty work, but he does. Stone accepts the task of hiring a young photographer to snap pictures of a tryst so a very rich lady can dump her ch ...more
Chipper
The story in Dirty Work revolves around the pursuit of a female assassin in New York City and is told through dialogue involving the 4 main characters and, while some of it witty, clever and somewhat suspenseful, I found that it was always easy to set this book down after a few pages or a couple chapters. I did not care about any of the characters and I was not impressed with the plotlines or twists. Take that any way you want, but I want and need more from an author when I set aside some time t ...more
Steve
01-01-2015 I know I've read this book at least once before today but I can't find my goodreaed notes.
This is one of my favorite Stone Barrington books.
It is surprising that Herbie is such a putz here and becomes such a trusted munch a little later.
From "get away from me" to "go to" guy.
I liked the cropping up of moral dilemmas between Stone, Dino and Carpenter.
Highly recommend it!
Carol
At times, a trifle mediocre... with just enough inventive twists to hold my interest. Several of the supposedly main characters invoked no sense of emotional involvement for this reader. Had Barrington and/or Carpenter been blown away...eh, meh. Readership investment in the plot was carried by second banana Dino, and assassin Marie-Therese.
Sharon
Now Stone gets tied up with helping the British secret service as what starts off as a simple proof of infidelity case becomes so much more. We meet Herbie, who provides some comic relief. This story was a bit more convoluted than the others and I found my mind wandering from time to time -- more talk and less action. Still ok, though.
Laurie Stoll
I have now read a few books in the Stone Barrington series.

I enjoy the series and enjoyed this story as well. Stone is an ex police officer and a current lawyer. The best description of this series would be "crime fiction".
David Dickter
I love the Herbie Fisher character and he has a great part in this adventure. This is the funniest Stone Barrington novel that I've read so far. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Michelle Palmer
This is so far the best Stone Barrington book by far. Totally enjoyed his character and how he was
for the underdog and just his compassion. Ready for the next book.
Howard Brittain
Another enjoyable romp through murder and women. I am enjoying every episode myself. Light entertaining reading.
Kimmie
This book had a little more espionage and kept Stone on his toes. I think Bruce Willis would be a perfect Dino if they made this into a series. Dino has that wise-cracking macho attitude that I love. Stone seems to fall into bed with every heroine which seems a little far fetched for reality, but then I guess that's why I read...to escape reality and live a little. I get hungry and want to cook gourmet every time I read these books. I've tried new drinks, looked up recipes, and looked up prices ...more
Brenda
This was not one of my favorites. I didn't care for the character of Carpenter or how Stone kept hooking up with her.
Will
Ben Posner
Feb 15, 2015 Ben Posner marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: Momi
Finally, mom's recommendation about Stuart Woods works! I REALLY loved this book... As I told my roommate in the Ft. Lauderdale airport, its the first thirty pages, and already there has been an accident that you really can't believe and a dead body, what could go wrong from then on? It was a fast read (I started it on Saturday), and it was just really fun. Once you get to a certain point, like any good mystery, you really can't put it down! Going to be re-reading!
Kathryn
great read, as always
Alice
most disappointing of all, so far.
Paula Ratcliffe
This book had me on the edge of my seat wondering if they would catch the elusive murderer. La Biche was the cover name of a young woman who witnessed her parents death at the hands of the British Intelligence and is out for vengeance whichever way she can get it.

Stone Barrington tries to help her, desperately fighting against Carpenter who just wants to eliminate her. When Stone thinks he has a plan in place to insure the girls safety, all things go array and Stone is left with things all upsid
Jayme VA
Two stars, I think, mainly because I listened to this on audio book. I could not stand the narrator- his New York accent, of which he had to voice more than one character, was horrible. I think I got distracted by the story trying to remember whose voice was whose.

I do think I like Stone Barrington and would enjoy more of Woods' books. The story was completely preposterous as you can expect with many noir, international mystery books. It was a nice short listen over all.
Marti
Books about the character Stone Barrington are always entertaining. James Bond stories are more exciting, but Stone, and his police officer friend, Dino Crocetti, get into many adventures. When Stone hires Herbie Fisher to take some pictures of a philandering husband, Herbie falls thru the skylight, which leads to involvement with an international female assassin. The British intelligence officer, Carpenter from Short Forever reappears as Stone's love interest.
Monty
Another Stone Barrington book for me to enjoy. It turns out that I had read it a long time ago before I began reading the books in order. Due to short term memory issues I only remembered enough to know I had already read it and had forgotten enough to read it again without knowing what was going to happen. One complaint I have about these books is that, in my opinion, the sex scenes are bit more graphic than they need to be.
Joanne
This is one of my favorite authors. His protagonist, Stone Barrington, is a former NYCcop-turned-lawyer, working exclusively for Woodman and Weld, a high-price law firm, as their counsel. This story is full of intrigue, double-cross, lies, and body count! I enjoyed it very much. The Stone Barrington series is also one that you need to read in order, as his personal life is woven throughout. All in all, a good, quick read.
John
A typical murderous romp with lawyer/PI Stone Barrington and his sidekick, NYPD lieutenant Dino Bacchetti. A female MI5/MI6-type agent provides the sex interest for Barrington, and the danger is provided by a female agent of an anti-British assassination squad (apparently from the middle-east). Bodies pile up as the story progresses; can Stone and Dino save the day? Highly improbable plot, but a quick, amusing read.
Renee
For me, I cant get enough Atone. The prices of the books are getting a little ridiculous. This book is yet another great Stone Barrington novel. It is Dino who becomes a star for me in this novel. There is so much to this complex duo who are now working to get La Biche, a who is trying to get revenge for the murder of her parents. Put together really well. I found it to be loaded with suspense!
Krista Ehlers
Good pace and action, as per usual. I admit to getting a little tired the the prevalence of superficial sex. At the same time, I also thought this one was a little too heavy as he attempted to deal with the ethics of post- 9/11 intelligence actions. Taking this as a whole it looks like I'm complaining that it was both too superficial and too deep. It appears that there is no pleasing me. :)
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor
  • The Stone Leopard
  • After All These Years
  • Bad Twin
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Lancelot
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • Blindfold Game
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • The Third Rail (Michael Kelly, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)