Start by marking “Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family to Enjoy” as Want to Read:
Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family to Enjoy

Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family to Enjoy

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In "Baby-led Weaning", leading health visitor Gill Rapley and journalist and mum Tracey Murkett introduced parents to a common sense, easy and enjoyable approach to feeding your child, allowing your baby to join in with family meals right from the start of the weaning process. Now "The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook" offers comprehensive recipes and meal plans to follow so the ...more
Published November 4th 2010 by Vermilion

To ask other readers questions about Baby-led Weaning Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby-led Weaning Cookbook

Rebekah
Yes, recommend to everyone! Cave babies gotta eat them mastodon drumsticks. NOTE: grandmas do not feel ok about baby-led weaning and will suggest teething biscuits or bat the baby's arms out of the way and feed him applesauce while you go out to dinner, but that's ok, he'll get plenty of other opportunities to totally destroy a sandwich and get hummus in his hair.

Melissa
My daughter decided against eating all purées and I was loosing hope that she would ever start to eat solids until I heard about baby led weaning- this book gives you the confidence to feed your baby from the table and helped me realize that maybe my daughter just wanted a little more flavor!
Kaia Calhoun
Seriously, who knew you don't have to spoon feed! And who knew it actually leads to a more confident and better eater if you let your baby lead the way!

I read Baby-Led Weaning because my super awesome and smart doctor recommended it. I got this book because my library also had this one. I actually like this one a little better because it explains everything more concisely and then gives some great recipes to try!

I was blown away by the fact that I don't have to fuss with spoon feeding and am no
Rachael Ricker (Myers)
When I was getting ready to start my son on solids, I tried to find the Baby-Led Weaning book at the library, but they had this cookbook instead. I'm glad I read this since I don't think you need a whole book to describe this method of introducing solids. In this book you get a good overview of the process in a chapter and then a bunch of recipes to try. The recipes are creative ways to let babies try healthy foods that they can handle- baked lentil and cheese wedges, tuna croquettes, and even o ...more
Traci
This gives a great overview of the self-feeding process. I knew I wanted to go this route with my son, but really wanted a how-to on which foods to feed first, etc. since it's not the "traditional" stages/puree feeding that most do with their babies. It also describes how to tell if your baby is ready for this method. It doesn't necessarily list exact foods that are best, but it does describe textures that are good to start with. The whole first section is just enough information for me to give ...more
Chrysti Hedding
This book has a lot of recipe ideas to start your baby on baby-led weaning (BLW). The author also reviews the basics of BLW, which was very helpful. If you’re an experienced cook like myself the recipes are simple enough, but since I’m an experienced cook, I also would have done well with the original book, Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food, instead because I am capable of adapting recipes myself. Great book for ideas!

This book is an excellent help for learning quick techniqu
Holly
I loved this book. The first section gives a great overview of baby led weaning, with practical info on what skills and foods babies may be ready or at what stages, and useful nutritional advice. The second part includes recipes for beak sets, lunches, meats, poultry, fish, veggies, desserts etc. The recipes aren't babyish, but are proper home cooked meals the whole family can enjoy. For parents who already cook a lot there amre great new ideas of what to serve your baby, and for those who aren' ...more
Anna Edwards
I really liked the idea behind this book. It makes sense to allow you baby to explore the food that you are eating instead of feeding them separate food. While it will take a lot more planning on my part, I think I'll try this and hope my daughter becomes a better eater than I was.
Beth E
Very good book with an interesting and effective way to introduce solid foods to an infant. I like the idea of letting them explore the texture and shapes of foods as well as to empower them to hold it themselves. I think modern physicians have become too fearful of things a baby could choke on, etc and too reliant on pureed foods. While any new thing with a baby necessitates caution, I think this method of food introduction is likely to result in less resistance to new foods in the future. High ...more
Clarissa
Some great recipes and some information on the BLW in the beginning if you didn't read the first one put out. Look forward to trying some of these recipes in the future.
Ann
I've become a kiddo cookbook connoisseur and this one is by far my favorite. I wish I'd picked it up sooner. There's great diversity to the recipes, from Japanese Rice Balls to Moroccan Chicken and Toad-in-the-Hole. They're appropriate for a child, tasty for adults, and not too complicated or involved. I'd like to try every recipe in here, and I never feel that way about a cookbook. The intro to Baby-Led Weaning is helpful, as well, but it's worth it just for the recipes.
Kellie
Makes sense! First half distills the ideas of baby led weaning, the rest is easy recipes.
Amie M
I love the philosophy behind this book, but the content was a little repetitive.
Natalie
Introducing infants to solids is easy this way. Authors focus in real food, not processed, ground mushy infant food. Reviews gagging, and when to introduce what. My only complaint is that canned beans and unfermented soy is recommended in some recipes and I don't recommend either. But, over-all, I believe this method is the most developmentally and nutritionally appropriate for infants.
Lulu
Well, honestly I cannot really write reviews on it yet for I do not know how well it works for my baby. But in general, the book is pretty interesting as it contains new info anything about baby's behaviour toward foods. Even some topics are repeated in the next chapters, still I found the book worth reading for moms as references to understand baby's world.
Leanna
Good basic information on BLW, with a helpful chart about how to progress your baby through different types of food. I thought the recipes were pretty straight-forward - basically what you'd come up with if you sat down to put together a list yourself -but they are well-organized, have some additional tips, and it's nice to have them all in one place.
Darren
Straight forward and flexible guide to baby led weaning. Makes a boat load of common sense and almost too perfect sounding ;-)
Can't wait to see how it pans out! Let the mess begin
Sylvia
Wish we had started this approach a bit sooner. It may have helped to introduce different textures earlier on. Even though we waited until 9 months to start with table and finger food, this book gave great ideas on flavor combinations and recipes that I wouldn't have thought up on my own.
Suzanne
Went to a talk by Gill Rapley which I found more informative than her book. When you write things down you have to be a bit more careful... good principles though. The NHS/Council health visitors are also promoting this approach in Islington
Diana
I previously read their book explaining BLW but this one started with a nice summary of that which would be helpful to have others read. There are quite a few recipes I'd like to try so I added this to my Christmas list.
Rachel
I like that the first half of this book incorporates the tips that were most useful from the book Baby-Led Weaning so that it isn't necessary to have both on hand. Can't wait to try the recipes.
Anna
I didn't *technically* finish because I didn't actually read all the recipes yet. I did, however, read the intro piece and am excited for when my Nugget is ready to try some new stuff.
Caroline
library book

ellie is doing this. i think cookbook has great summary of concepts in begining. like the recipes. gave me ideas for other things i wanted to try with her.
Farah
Although I started with puréed meals but switch to this approach quickly and it works better. Good book on weaning and recipes are delicious as well.
Abbie
In my opinion this is the way to go; soooo easy and super fun, creates wonderful bonding possibilities for meal preparation and the enjoyment of food!
Jen
Love that the recipes are built around whole family eating. Or at least first time parent family eating. Typically they state: serves two adults and one baby.
Rosie
I love this alternative to introducing solid foods to our baby. I'm so excited about it that I hate to wait the month until he's old enough!
Juliet Swedlund
I love baby led weaning, and while I like the idea of having a baby-friendly cookbook, the recipes I tried didn't impress me in taste or uniqueness.
Great resource on how to start your baby on solids. Gives an overview on the basics of baby-led weaning and provides some great recipes.
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • The Baby and Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start
  • Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Parentonomics: An Economist Dad Looks at Parenting
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food Baby-Led Breastfeeding: Follow Your Baby’s Instincts for Relaxed and Easy Nursing Baby-led Parenting: The easy way to nurture, understand and connect with your baby NÄPUTOIT. Õpeta oma laps head toitu armastama Baby-Led Weaning: The Essential Guide to Introducing Solid Foods - and Helping Your Baby to Grow Up a Happy and Confident Eater