Start by marking “Malcolm Fraser: The Political Memoirs” as Want to Read:
Malcolm Fraser: The Political Memoirs

Malcolm Fraser: The Political Memoirs

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews

Part memoir and part authorized biography, this account chronicles the life and governmental record of one of Australia’s most interesting and possibly most misunderstood Prime MinistersMalcolm Fraser. Tracing the story of a shy boy who grew to become one of the most persistent, insistent, and controversial political voices in Australian government, this discussion examine

Published August 1st 2010 by Melbourne University Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Malcolm Fraser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malcolm Fraser

Ben Lever
Feb 10, 2016 Ben Lever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Fraser was obviously before my time and I don't know as much as I'd like to about this period, which was part of the impetus to read this. Obviously I'll have to read more, and from the other side of politics, because one has to assume a certain level of self-serving bias in an autobiography. Nonetheless Fraser is a very interesting figure, and one I actually relate to very well; I think it's safe to say that I have little connection to the present-day Liberal party, but I might have had some co ...more
S'hi
Jan 23, 2012 S'hi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Australian Citizens, political players, social activists
111111: It seems a most interesting coincidence that I finally open this book on this date…

While my memories of the Prime Ministership of Malcolm Fraser are somewhat blurred by the ignorance of youth, and the very loud voices around me who were not at all happy about much of what he did, I now consider him to be the only true 'Elder Statesman" of Australia.

Reading these memoirs have helped me gain a better perspective of how politics works. Considering I have studied politics in a couple of dif
Ian Sergeant
Jun 01, 2011 Ian Sergeant rated it it was ok
Everybody is entitled to a memoir to set the record straight. This one does Malcolm Fraser no favours.

I approached the book with a fairly open mind on Fraser's life. The Fraser Prime Minstership was during my school years, and Menzies, Gorton, and McMahon and Holt were all before my time. I knew Fraser's work with Care Australia, and his reconcilation with Whitlam. Perhaps there would be a revision of some of his views through eyes made kinder through the passage of time?

The book takes the forma
Gary Biesse
Dec 17, 2015 Gary Biesse rated it it was amazing
Until I read this I didn't know that Fraser was a real small-l liberal and that he'd been that way at least from his Oxford days. Can't forgive him for his role in Gough Whitlam's dismissal but now understand how much of Whitlam's programme he implemented. Read this to find out what a liberal government should be.
Jodi
Apr 01, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
24 October 2010: a very informative, revealing and frank memoir. Admired the writing style immensely, and felt it humanised Malcolm Fraser. May just have to read John Howard's memoirs next to learn his side of the story.
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Alison Foletta
Alison Foletta marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Elisabeth Adler
Elisabeth Adler rated it did not like it
May 06, 2016
Steph7153
Steph7153 is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Stalin1953
Stalin1953 is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2016
Joanne Hall
Joanne Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Joel
Joel rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Jez
Jez is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2015
Daryl
Daryl is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Ms Nyx
Ms Nyx marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Minn
Minn marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Craig Holmes
Craig Holmes marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Small Creek
Small Creek marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Shmonie Darmo
Shmonie Darmo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
ACCW
ACCW rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Annette Freeman
Annette Freeman rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Jme
Jme marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Leir
Leir marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Joz Hunter
Joz Hunter marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Min Guo
Min Guo marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014