A Welcome Grave

A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Sometime after midnight, on a moonless October night turned harsh by a fine, windswept rain, one of the men I liked least in the world was murdered in a field near Bedford, just south of the city....The detectives went looking for suspects--- people whose histories with Jefferson were adversarial and hostile. At the top of that list, they found me.

So begins A Welcome Grave...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Welcome Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Welcome Grave

LJ
A WELCOME GRAVE (Private Invest-Lincoln Perry-Minnesota-Cont) – VG+
Koryta, Michael – 3rd in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312340117
First Sentence: Sometime after midnight, on a moonless October night turned harsh by a fine, windswept rain, one of the men I liked least in the world was murdered in a field near Bedford, just south of the city.
*** PI Lincoln Perry’s partner and mentor, Joe Pritchard, is recuperating from being shot during their last case. Lincoln is conta...more
David
Michael Koryta continues to show his development as a writer in this great, although fairly brutal, third novel. Compared to the first two books in the Lincoln Perry series, this book is particularly plot-heavy. It reminded me of a classic Ross MacDonald novel in that if you don't pay attention, it is easy to forget who is who in the book.

The book begins with a very violent death, and it turns out to be someone that Lincoln Perry has reason to hate. Nevertheless, he is dispatched to investigate...more
Mary
PI Lincoln Perry, once on the Cleveland police force, ended his career when he left one of the city's prominent attorneys, Alex Jefferson, bleeding in the parking lot of his country club---retribution for his affair with Perry's fiancée.

Now Jefferson is dead, the victim of a brutal murder, and his widow has called upon Perry for a favor he knows he shouldn't accept but can't turn down: to find Jefferson's estranged son, partial beneficiary of the dead man's fortune. Meanwhile a pair of deadly as...more
Solim
So after hearing so much praise stating that this is the best book Koryta has written, I was slightly disappointed. First let me go into detail about the book. It definitely felt more fast paced than the previous two which was a plus, and it made me constantly juggle around who might be the bad guy in the end. The ending was where it kind of disappointed and forced me to give it 4 stars. I wont spoil it but to give you a clue, I would say the ending is unresolved. Maybe Koryta wanted it like tha...more
Maerhys
The last book in the Lincoln Perry series for me since I started with The Silent Hour. This is almost as good as book four, but not quite, although I am giving it the same star rating. Solid story, return of a few characters from book one. Koryta does a nice job in dealing with the events of book two as well. I was worried the romance would be too much but it was just the right amount for me - just a touch. Aside from about three lines of dialogue and a mention of them going to bed together, Amy...more
Jan
This story is an intense exploration of the lengths to which a desperate man is forced to go in order to clear his name and solve a crime. Lincoln Perry get caught up in the murder of his ex-girlfriend's husband, not one of his favorite people. As a favor to her, Perry is asked to locate her husband's son and the roller coaster ride begins with Perry being looked at more than once for the murders that are piling up.His working relationship with Joe has also taken a hit and he remains clueless in...more
Kelly Stewart
What was it I said in my last review? That they keep getting better? Yep, it's true. Let's see if the last of the series (so far) is the same.
Nadeen
Run don't walk .. and take a listen to this amazing series by Koryta and read by Scott Brick. It is ... haunting, and real filled with characters you care about and believe. This is the 3rd in the series and made me drag my iPod from the car to the house so I could listen to the last 20 minutes without having to make up an errand to run so that I could finish it. The combination of the characters and the plot left me way too invested .. and hungry for the #4 in the series. I won't give away the...more
David Carr
This is one of my favorites. Couldn't put it down ( or in my case shut it off, audio book)
Evelyn
Attorney Alex Jefferson was not Lincoln Perry's favorite person. He stole Lincoln's fiance and caused him to be kicked off the Cleveland police department. When Jefferson turns up dead, Lincoln becomes the prime suspect. And, the more Lincoln tries to help with the investigation, the more damning the evidence of his guilt.

Third in a series featuring Lincoln Perry. An excellent, faced-paced, hard-boiled mystery. Lots of local atmosphere and hard to put down. The "black widow" character of Karen,...more
Katherine
I heard Koryta speak and thought he seemed interesting, so I checked this out. Good protagonist, setting, characters, premise--very satisfying. But if the protagonist said (or more often yelled) SOMEONE IS SETTING ME UP one more time, that would have been it. Especially when he simultaneously indulged in some sort of impulsive and/or self-destructive behavior while doing so. I began to lose sympathy, and then interest, even though I knew that SOMEONE WAS SETTING HIM UP! Still, I think this was K...more
Abeille
This was the best of the Lincoln Perry series so far, in my opinion. I got really drawn in to Lincoln's troubles and found myself doubting there could be a happy ending. What I like about these books is that there really aren't happy endings in the true sense; the endings, although satisfying, are often bittersweet and more complex that everything turning out okay. This book was strong enough that I'm continuing on to the fourth book immediately, instead of taking the break I'd intended on. Book...more
Anita
Voor mij n pageturner, ouderwets spannende thriller
Sally
A great mystery thriller that even will leave you rooting for a "bad guy!"

PI, Lincoln Perry's ex-fiance wants to hire him. The job - find out who murdered her husband and locate her estranged stepson. From the moment Perry sets out to find the stepson and give him the news he has inherited a small fortune, things go wrong. Within days, Perry becomes a "person of interest" himself for the murder. The closer Perry thinks he is getting to solving the mystery, the more he is dragged into a tangled w...more
Amy
This is my new favorite detective series. Lots of twists and turns.
???!!!
I actually like this one despite Imy usual distaste for PIs. I like this one more than the first Lincoln Perry novel "tonight I say goodbye", even though that book got him an award. I thought the characters in this book have more depth and dimensions, detective work seemed solid enough, and the plot lline gripping. This book also reminds me of Harry Hole in Jo nesbo's series. Not of the character but the undertone of the story, human vulnerability, sad revenge, and self revelation.
Derk
Make this one 3 and a half stars. Four for the pace and flow of writing, three for the silliness of the plot. This is the second book by Koryta I've read, but third in his series, so perhaps some of the action relates to things in his first book, which I have not read. Anyway, it was a pleasant read, but I was disappointed after I finished it and reflected on the story line. As an aside, the hero's frequent temper-tantrums towards the police seemed unprovoked and out of character.
Marjolein
READ IN DUTCH

This was the first book I read by Koryta and I bought it because I got interested in the book after reading the text on the back of the book. The story was quite good, it all happened really fast. But what I didn't really liked was that he uses Thor to get out of all his troubles. Together with what I read about his other books, this happened before. Looks like the main character can't cope with his own problems. The story was nice to read, though.
Heidi
An action packed thriller where the PI on the case becomes the prime suspect himself - a well constructed plot full of twists and turns, a Russian hitman, ruthless killers, spurned love and a mounting body count. This murder-mystery really delivers in terms of suspense and action. With its dark undertones and shadowy underworld figures it reminds me of Dennis Lehane's novels. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the other Lincoln Perry mysteries.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard
SETTING: Cleveland
RATING: 3.5
SERIES: #3

A very ambitious plot that bogs down under its own weight. Koryta again relies on a Russian mobster to help him out and is dealing with organized crime. Several lead characters move in interesting ways. Somewhat above average. Plot resolution unfolded via dialogue, which I don't care for, and protagonist was a prime suspect, which is another no no for me.
Dan Roland
I picked this up on during vacation and on a whim at a great Portland, Oregon bookstore, "Murder by the Book" in the Hawthorne district. I was thrilled to discover that the story is set in Cleveland and that it was one of a series of PI novels all set in Cleveland. I have read three of the four novels now, working my way back from #3 to #1, but that's me. What a fun way to learn more about the area where I now live.
Dorian
Sep 01, 2007 Dorian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: can't say as I would
Middling at best. This is Koryta's third book, and I've read them all, though I can;t quite figure out why. This third one is better than the second but not as good as the first. Koryta makes the PI genre seem plausible again, but I wish he'd make more of his Cleveland setting. The main problem is that the books have no style; the first-person voice is too bland. This book, in short, has no *texture*.
Vera VB
Een privé detective wordt beschuldigd van moord op de man van zijn ex. Hij heeft die man al eens eerder aangevallen dus dat hij verdacht is, is niet zo vreemd. Daarnaast huurt zijn ex hem in om de daders te vinden. Er komt ook nog een afpersing aan te pas, meerdere moorden, de politie die overtuigd is dat hij de dader is. Kortom, genoeg om een leuk en spannend boek te maken.
Deb Mj
I'm pretty apathetic about this series. I like most of Koryta's non-serial work with its blend of mystery and paranormal, but this stuff is straight detective-genre. None of the characters have really grabbed me which probably explains my apathy. I'll keep going; there's only one more published at this point, and I hate to leave things unfinished.
Tricia Douglas
This was one of the early books by Koryta that I finally read. I think his later books are more refined, but the story in this one is still good. The book twists and turns and we wonder if the main character, Lincoln Perry, will come out in one piece. Great characters and storyline that makes the reader think and have to keep up with the author!
Jodi
This book really hit home for me, in part because it mentions Bloomington and Nashville, Ind. Maybe it was because of that or because of the relationship between Lincoln and Amy, or because I was listening rather than reading this time, but this is a more gripping tale than Koryta's previous books. The others were solid; this ascends.
Maria Teresa
No sabia que esperar de este libro, pero me ha sorprendido gratamente. Se convirtió en una adicción saber como terminaría este enredo, pues aunque no es perfecto, llegado a un punto simplemente no podía parar de leer. Gracias a los Reyes Random por el libro. Creo que leeré más de las aventuras de Lincoln en el futuro.
Ellen Keim
This is Michael Koryta's third book I've read. I still like the main character, private detective Lincoln Perry. The book moved quickly, which I like for summer reading. I was kind of disappointed that he used Thor again; seemed like a lazy way to get the protagonist out of a jam. But all in all, not a waste of time.
Scott Rhee

"A Welcome Grave" is the third book in the Perry/Pritchard private eye series, and author Michael Koryta scores another hit. His deft use of plot twists, snappy dialogue, and descriptions of actual Cleveland area locations makes this a fun, exciting read. I now look forward to each new Koryta novel that comes out.
Kim
Lincoln helps out his ex-fiancee when her husband is brutally murdered. Can we say sucker? And what does he get for his trouble? Beat up, his gym shot to hell and framed for the murder. But it was a good story, I enjoy all the characters, just wish Lincoln would quit with needing to be the hero and grow a back bone.
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels #1)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Purgatory Chasm
  • Antes y después de odiarte
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
Michael Koryta (pronounced ko-ree-ta)has written nine novels, praised by such authors as Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly and Dennis Lehane, and his most recent novel, THE PROPHET, was called "Friday Night Lights meets In Cold Blood...a flawless performance" by Kirkus. His last three novels, THE RIDGE, THE CYPRESS HOUSE, and SO COLD THE RIVER were all New York Times notable books and no...more
More about Michael Koryta...
So Cold the River The Prophet The Cypress House Those Who Wish Me Dead The Ridge