Start by marking “Timing (Timing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Timing (Timing, #1)

Timing (Timing #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  4,055 ratings  ·  325 reviews
Stefan Joss just can't win. Not only does he have to go to Texas in the middle of summer to be the man of honor in his best friend Charlotte's wedding, but he's expected to negotiate a million-dollar business deal at the same time. Worst of all, he's thrown for a loop when he arrives to see the one man Charlotte promised wouldn't be there: her brother, Rand Holloway.

Stefa
Published March 15th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Timing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timing

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
32nd out of 1,991 books — 2,541 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
15th out of 523 books — 1,293 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan

REREAD 7/29/14

4 Stars

While searching for a new book to start, I randomly opened up Timing. And though I rarely reread, I just wanted something to get lost in. I still enjoyed it. I think Stef irritated me more this second time around. But Rand took my breath away x1000000 this time, so it all evens out. I'll stick with my original rating of 4 stars. Yes, ridiculous. Yes, over the top.

And YES! YES! YES!....RAND!!!!

********************

ORIGINAL REVIEW (3/11/11)

4 Stars

I don’t care.
I don’t care tha
Damon Suede
I 've read this charming book so many times and (for some reason) have never sat down to review it properly... This is the book that made me a fan of Mary Calmes and one I return to often.

This is easily one of my favorite M/M romances ever written, showing economy, precision and fierce sexuality that rewards multiple rereads. Mary Calmes has a (well-deserved) reputation for writing delightful contemporary gay romance, and in truth this book may be the best single expression of her many talents f
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
It's official.....

I. AM. IN. AN. MM. BOOK.

That's two DNFs in a row. And I haven't loved the few before that.

DNF @ 41%

You know, I actually quite liked this one to begin with. The premise was interesting. Stefan and Charlotte are long-time BFFs. Rand is Charlotte's brother. Rand and Stefan seem to hate each other.

I usually dig the whole enemies to lovers thing.

Too bad they went from enemies to lovers faster than the speed of light.

IDK, I just didn't buy it.

And after a while Charlotte and Stef
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book is classic Mary Calmes.

Mary Calmes books are like chicken soup for the gay soul. Perfect men that everyone love, toppy tops and bottomy bottoms, insta love, cowboys, and hot sex- I mean, it is just what the doctor ordered. The perfect M/M pick me up.

However, this isn't my first Mary Calmes rodeo. While I enjoyed this, I also found myself growing a bit irritated at the out-of-nowhere love, the over-the-top gregarious MC, and the sex that was the same time and time again. I want some v
Abbie
4.25 The look on his face, like I was just endearing and mesmerizing all at once, it was too much for me to resist. I stepped into him, my hand around the back of his neck as I eased in close and lifted up for the kiss. Stars.
Kissing
“Aw, for crissakes,” I yelled hoarsely, holding him in my arms. Who actually fainted at the sight of blood?

Stefan and Rand have been enemies for years, taking each and every opportunity to annoy and shame each other. When his best friend, Charlotte, is getting married, her
Ingela
Written September 26, 2014

4 Happy Stars - Super Über Sweet & Yummy Joy

I'd not read that many Mary Calmes (just three) and they might not been my favorite books neither, but nice, smexy and all "heartwarmers". As Heather said so well and wisely in her 3 stars review:
‘Mary Calmes books are like chicken soup for the gay soul. Perfect men that everyone love, toppy tops and bottomy bottoms, insta love, cowboys, and hot sex. I mean, it is just what the doctor ordered. The perfect M/M pick me up.
Lili

I am soooo happy to be out of my slump!!!

photo image.jpg1_zpsuwfrxlcz.jpg

Timing by Mary Calmes just pushed all the right buttons. This was a hot, romantic, with a sprinkle of mystery enemies to lovers story.

What I loved:
*Rand.

Loved. Everything. About. Him.
*Stefan. What can I say I loved him too.
*The secondary characters. Great family.
*As I'm sure you've gathered- the smoking hot sex.
*The relationship between Rand & Stefan. LOVED the build up.
*The friendship between Charlotte and Stefan.
*I prefer a dual POV but being onl
Gigi
LOVED! Recommended!

Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4.25 Stars***

"Do you wanna be my home?"

"It's all I want."

I've finally popped my Mary Calmes cherry! And hot damn, it was good for me!

I've heard so many great things about Mary Calmes' books and have been told that her writing is like good street crack....and well, I have to agree! There's something easy breezy about her writing. It flows effortlessly and engages you from the very first page.

Stefan and Charlotte have been best friends since meeting freshman year in college. Stefan doesn'
Rachel
I read this book in two days. It is a stupid book. A stupid, stupid fun book. I have to hand it to Mary Calmes - she had me with this one. I rolled my eyes, I groaned, but I couldn't put the book down.

Let's start with the cover. Whoever designed this cover has a sick sense of humor that I respect or they should just be punched in the face. Probably both. I saw this cover time and time again bouncing around Goodreads and every time I thought, "Nope" and kept on scrolling. But, apparently socially
Smokinhotbooks K.C.
Read Full Review Here

I was doing what I normally late at night (scouring Goodreads for my next man love book) when I came upon this gem. Some reviews were good others were just okay, but as I closed my eyes and listened to my inner m/m voice it said. “Do it KC. Buy it NOW” (surprisingly my inner voice sounded a lot like George Takei.)”

Have you ever read a book and it just worked on all levels: humor, drama, tension, well timed dialogue and sexy scenes. Charlotte and Stefan have been BFF’s since
Heather C
I started this book not expecting to like it at all, but once I started I did not put it down until I was finished. It completely sucked me in. I loved Stef and Rand (the MCs) and all the secondary characters. Everyone loved Stef and it eventually got a little ridiculous to a point. I didn't like how all the bridesmaids liked to fondle Stef. Even straight men wanted to touch him and kiss him when they were drunk. Anyway it didn't really bother me enough to remove a half a star. Rand was hot...ev ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
May 08, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Luci
I think that if this had been my first book by this author, I would have rated 4 stars because it's very enjoyable and the characters are cute, but Stefan is so similar to Jory of A Matter of Time, that it was like reading the same character all over again. Stefan is gorgeous; everybody loves him; when he enters a room, instant peace; everybody wants to touch him; people prefer him over long time friends and relatives; everybody admires him; the life of someone has depended, depends or will depe ...more
julio
Not a good book—but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyway.

Clumsy murder plot, BUT!!! smoking hot main characters.

*gestures in cranky bewilderment*

Too short by half, and fun, fun, fun.
Gina

WOW WOW WOW! I loved this story! This story hit just the right spot for me on many levels, the two main characters captured my interest immediately and I love the secondary characters.

Stefan Joss is going to Texas to attend the wedding of his best friend Charlotte and to be her man of honor. His boss however is forcing him to mix business with pleasure and to close a real estate sale. Stefan on the surface appears to have it all together, attractive, intelligent, funny, able to charm everyone h
Isabel
What can I say? I love Mary Calmes's formula, I do! We can see Jory/Sam in this book, but in a different location, with different names, but here they are: incredible handsome man, everyone wants him, and the man he loves, one hell of an alpha male, powerful, possessive, beautiful, and that is completely in love with him.

And the sex scenes... (view spoiler) amazing!

Even being the same characters/different plot, I loved it!

Emma Sea
No review, as I could substitute the review for any one of Calmes's other books. Don't care. Loved it.
MiʂħүJѻ
I loved Rand. The rest, not as much. The plot twists were totally incredible (as in NOT believable). The insta-everything enemies to lovers relationship was also hard to believe. At least the sex was hot.

The audiobook narration was pretty good. In the scenes with lots of voices, some of them were weird but overall it was well done.
MLE
Dec 01, 2014 MLE rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, lendle
I have to say that there was a lot about this book I really did like quite a bit. I really did love Stef. His sense of humor, loyalty to his friends, and even his prickly and stubborn nature appealed to me. Maybe that’s because I might be just a bit stubborn myself. I found I was able to understand why Stef reacted the way he did to Rand. I truly respected how loyal he was to his friend, and their bond. It’s nice to see romance where bonds other than the primary romantic one are treated as equal ...more
GymGuy
The other Mary Calmes books I reviewed I seriously panned. At this point, this will be the last book by this author I read.....unless something drastically changes. It's a rather uneven story with uneven writing. My first impression is that it's a very girly girl kind of story. It seriously reminds me of those Harlequin romances showing a cover with the super macho muscle jock swooping in to hold the fare maiden in his big strong arms while she is draped in some slinky negligee. All you'd have t ...more
JenMcJ
Kaje Harper
This book had two hot men, some intense sex and some nice lines. The writing style was smooth and appealing, and I will go looking for other books by this author. But for me, the narrator of this one, Stefan, suffered badly from too-good-to-be-true with a helping of too-stupid-to-live. The plot got illogical at the end. And Rand's character seemed inconsistent; he is supposed to have issues from his relationship with his wife but they appear and disappear, and he blows hot and cold in an odd fas ...more
As I read this book all I could hear in my head was the REM song Shiny Happy People. It was slightly over the top, the main character seemed to have no discernible flaws (and had glitter AND sparkles) and the villan was evil like Dastardly Dick. I loved it. I was occasionally a little unsure if I should like it, which might sound weird, but some of the plot devices were definitely out there. Despite this, Timing by Mary Calmes was a thoroughly entertaining read and just worked.

Re read.... This
Betryal
There's something about Mary Calmes books that draws me in every shot. Her plots and characters are unique. You can't help falling for them with their quirkiness, the way they make you sit back and laugh till you're going to bust nuts and the amusement is kept alive throughout each of her books. What I get the most out of it is the characters she writes have sass and they don't take any guff. The bantering and smart mouth on one of both of them alone will keep you intrigued and wanting more.

Ste
Debra
This is Mary Calmes doing what she does best. I don't know exactly what it was about this book that charmed me, but I just loved it.

Stef and Rand have such great chemistry together. Of course they are both beautiful and wanted by men and women everywhere they go, but that's to be expected. The sex is hard and hot and the way Rand conveys his feelings to Stef best. There is prior history between the two that only adds to the romance.

The storyline is for the most part fluff, with the tiniest bit
Blue Bayou .
Trisha Harrington
This was one of my first MC books and it's still one of my favorites from her, and one of my overall favorites. It was the right amount of funny, sweet and hot.

There are so many things I loved about this book, I really don't know where to start. Stef and Rand were really hot together. But they were also really sweet and lovely. There were complications, of course, and insecurities that reared their ugly head here and there. It wasn't just one of them that had them either. Rand had his issues wi
AmyI
I listened to the audiobook on this one. The narrator did a pretty decent job, although I do think that Ben (Charlotte’s fiancé) sounded a whole lot like a muppet.

I think I would have liked this book more if I hadn’t already read A Matter of Time. At times it felt like I was reading “Jory Goes to Texas” – Jory and Stefan were so similar. And so freaking perfect!

Am I the only one who hates to read about characters who are absolutely perfect? I mean, Stef could do no wrong. Everyone loved him….
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Touch Me Gently
  • Bareback (Bareback, #1)
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • The Tin Star (Ranch Series, #1)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • A Shared Range (Range, #1)
  • The One That Got Away
  • No Going Home (Home, #1)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Force of Law
  • Just For You
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Timing (2 books)
  • After the Sunset (Timing, #2)
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Frog A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2) Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)