Start by marking “Dark Reflections (Dark Reflections, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Reflections (Dark Reflections, #1-3)

Dark Reflections (Merle-Trilogie #1-3)

All three books in the thrilling and acclaimed Dark Reflections trilogy (The Water Mirror, The Stone Light, and The Glass World) are now available in one sleek volume.

In this fast-paced series, feisty fourteen-year-old Merle and her friends Junipa and Serafin live in enchanted Venice, which has been under siege by Egypt for over 30 years. The Venetians' only protection is

Published October 5th 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Reflections

Aimee
Oct 24, 2011 Aimee rated it liked it
Shelves: swoony-book-boys
I love this!

But why, why does this happen to the good characters? (view spoiler) Damn it. But anyway, awesome book!
Qing
Jan 02, 2015 Qing rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult

I've been waiting for at least 5 years to finish this trilogy off... the libraries just don't seem to have book 3 for some reason, so I finally bit the bullet and bought the omnibus.

I ended up re-reading the first two books since it's been so long, though I was surprised at some things that I actually remembered.

While it's relatively well-written, there were some places where the translation from German just didn't quite sit right. I didn't mind too much, as the story was quite compell
Nicole
Apr 24, 2011 Nicole marked it as to-read
I'm not going to rate this because I couldn't finish it. It's not that it wasn't bad, but I think a lot gets lost in translation (at least I think this was originally in another language, otherwise the writing was just amazingly awkward). Maybe I'll come back to it because it's really an interesting story, but as of now I'm done with this one.
Anne
Jun 22, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
The cover on Kai Meyer book is beautiful to look at; I only wish the story had been just as wonderful to read. I vacationed in Venice a long time ago, it was for this very reason, I picked up the book. “Dark Reflections” promised an adventure with a Venice scenery. Instead, all I got was a dull fantasy. However, I will give the book two stars for creativity.
Rhiannon Frater
Jun 30, 2015 Rhiannon Frater rated it really liked it
It took me forever to finish because the book is physically enormous and my carpal tunnel would act up whenever I started to hold it for too long. I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was wildly imaginative. The only slight let down was that the big final battle happens off screen. But it was still a satisfying read.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
An omnibus of three different books, it took me forever to read this, but it was very good. Lots of fantastical elements and a great show of the author's imagination. It's a poignant story that will stay with me for a while, like an ache inside that I can't message away. I recommend it to fantasy readers.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Nikha Rodriguez
Mar 14, 2011 Nikha Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Kiana
Jun 28, 2015 Kiana rated it it was ok
I tried really really hard to like this book, but I just. Couldn't do it. No disrespect to the author at all, but I think this book was way out of the range I normally read. I couldn't get into the story at all.
Bari
Oct 08, 2011 Bari rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I have to honest. I didn't love this trilogy. I finished the first book and got half way through the second and couldn't finish. It's slow moving and in my opinion, not that great.
Drew Farinas
Sep 26, 2014 Drew Farinas rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I gave up when I read the first Chapter. The choice of words are not very good. I don't know if I will re-read this but I'll try. This book looks pretty good.
PurplyCookie
”The Water Mirror”

Meyer's engaging fantasy portrays Venice as a city alive with wonder--stone lions pad with heavy paws on the canal banks and sometimes fly (as steeds for the Venetian Guard); the canals are full of mermaids with wide shark jaws, and the island city has been under siege by Egypt for 36 years. Only the power of The Flowing Queen, the mysterious spirit of the waters, has kept the city safe. But now the essence of the Queen has been stolen by traitors within the government, and the
Brina
Feb 02, 2012 Brina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Für die 14-jährige Merle beginnt ein neues Leben. Sie wird aus dem Waisenhaus herausgeholt und darf bei dem berühmten Spiegelmacher Arcimboldo in die Lehre gehen. Dort lernt sie das blinde Mädchen Junipa kennen, mit der sie sich anfreundet.
Aber schnell stellt sich heraus, dass Merle kein gewöhnliches Mädchen ist. Sie besitzt einen Spiegel, der nicht das zu sein scheint, was er im ersten Augenblick ausstrahlt und sie erkennt sehr schnell, was es mit der Haushälterin Unke auf sich hat.
Aber das ist
Doreen
May 15, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it
A.M
Feb 18, 2012 A.M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Bookrazy-Koi
Feb 19, 2011 Bookrazy-Koi rated it really liked it
Kai Meyer...you have such a great artistic, fantastic mind!!!!! I love the way she developed the story and how it all came together. I want to live inside this book!!!

The Venice that she creates and the world wherein Venice exist...whhhoooo! I like her concept of Hell and how she managed to incorporate Egyptian lore with mermaids...sea witches and mummies! It's a maze of prose...it's exciting...thrilling...it's magic...

Okay, enough gushing.

It's different. It's imagination at its finest.
Cielo
Nov 25, 2012 Cielo rated it really liked it
I'm reading this trilogy with this book and it's really and advantage. I get to read the three books consecutively. I won't be looking for the book one by one.

The story line was great. And I LOVE serafin. He's so darn cute. LOL. anyway, I like the plot, settings and the characters. I also like how Kai put the mermaids, venice, egypt, hell, and some of Egyptian myths together. There are flaws but the niceness of the story covers it all.

All in all, it was worth reading for.
Farhana
Jul 29, 2013 Farhana rated it really liked it
okayy. all in all, a fantastic read. however.(view spoiler)
I don't hate Merle. I just find it hard to believe that Serafin would actually do that. I mean they were only in each others' presence for like, 1/5 of the book and he was ready to(view spoiler) That came off to me as kind of unbelievable.
Or was i missing something? Someone, please tell me I was missing something? Anything?
Giulia
Jul 29, 2012 Giulia rated it it was amazing
This was an ultimately epic and extremely imaginative tale that is absolutely thrilling! I loved every second of it and don't let its size daunt you because I still am left with images from the books, images of powerful scenes and a creative imagination! A great read!
Alisha
Feb 17, 2016 Alisha rated it liked it

A satisfying read with lots of mythical elements and creatures. It isn't the fastest paced book out there but I really enjoyed the setting and mythical elements. I think some of the story was lost in translation but overall a good read.
Sydney   LaForest
Feb 27, 2011 Sydney LaForest rated it really liked it
Shelves: covers-i-♥
Aniza Elya
Feb 17, 2016 Aniza Elya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It takes me a year to finish this book. But what a wonderful journey it was. I feel like I've known Italy in and out. This book should be made into a movie!
Kayla
Dec 08, 2013 Kayla rated it it was amazing
The Dark Reflections trilogy is one of the best I have ever read. It is stunning. Their lies a lot of secrets, untold stories, and dark magic in Venice. Only time will tell fate.
Jersey
holly
Jun 27, 2013 holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Finished book one... i'll have to order 2 & 3 as the library does not have them in stock. A good and engaging tale so far!
Cary
Sep 13, 2014 Cary rated it liked it
It is not a bad book but it tries to talk about too many things at the same time without really explaining anything... and then the boy dies...
Adrian Barron
Aug 26, 2011 Adrian Barron rated it it was amazing
Reminds me kind of of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Truly imaginative and unique. One of the best books I've read. I can't recall when a book made me feel so light and magical. Amazingness!
Angeli
Angeli rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Niulakito
Niulakito rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Intern With The Vampire (Vampire General #1)
  • The Prophecy (The Watchers Chronicles, #1)
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • Heart on Fire
  • Porteur de masques (Amos Daragon #1)
  • The Folded World (A Dirge for Prester John, #2)
  • Felinian (Book of the Felinian, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • City of Ice (City Trilogy, #2)
  • Magic in Manhattan Volume Two: Spells & Sleeping Bags/Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #3-4)
  • The Wicked + The Divine #16
  • Godslayer / Shadow Climber / Dragonrank Master (Bifrost Guardians, #1-3)
  • Flaming Dove
  • Immortal Wolf (Draicon Werewolves, #5)
  • Maximum Witch (That Old Black Magic, #3)
  • Surrender the Dark (The Dark, #1)
  • Dirt Nap (The Marnie Baranuik Files #2.6)
With millions of books sold worldwide, Kai Meyer is one of Germany's most successful authors. His novels have been translated into 27 languages including English, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Chinese.

Kai Meyer was born in 1969 in northern Germany. He began college at the University of Bochum, Germany, where he studied film, theatre, and philosophy. After a year, he dropped out t
More about Kai Meyer...

Merle-Trilogie (3 books)
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • The Glass Word (Dark Reflections, #3)