Start by marking “Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women” as Want to Read:
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

In her latest book, Crones Don't Whine, Jean Shinoda Bolen's playful sense of humour and keen insight combine to offer women thirteen qualities to cultivate. Engage in these small practises and you're bound to be a happier person, who's doing her bit to make the world just a little better. Here are thirteen brief essays to turn to again and again, in bad times and good, al
Published September 1st 2003 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Crones Don't Whine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crones Don't Whine

Tami
Jan 01, 2009 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a time of great changes. Within a year, there was a mass deluge from the family nest, my first grandchild arrived, my husband had a heart attack, my career focus changed, and early indicators of menopause reminded me that the biggest changes were about to occur. I was leaving behind motherhood, making family meals, and picking up abandoned dirty dishes. I was moving on to a new phase of my life.

For me, the word crone has always brought up images of a wise elder. A crone as I see her is a
Louise Carlson Stowell
If you are looking for a book that is related to Moon magic and Pagan origins, this isn't what this book is about.

This is about the coming of age in women...how we recreate ourselves and transform into the wise woman crone. It describes the feelings and the lessons that we learn and can pass on to others. It talks about what a Crone is, what it means to be a Crone. It's about feeling good in your own skin. Being who you are and not being afraid to be yourself totally and also speak your mind.

It
Angela2932
May 03, 2008 Angela2932 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read a wonderful book that helps you get beyond the cliches about aging in America, this is it! This book provides a very different perspective than the usual junk offered, particularly to women over 50, (or any women who aspire to someday be 50, so hopefully that includes all women.) Some, but not all, men, might appreciate this as well, but male socialization is just different for men than women. Jean Shinoda Bolen explores 13 attributes that are well worth cultivating to lead a ...more
Andrea Anastos
Jun 07, 2013 Andrea Anastos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found wisdom and guidance in Jean Shinolda Bolen's books since I read "Crossing to Avalon" many years ago. This book is short and pithy. Very short and very pithy. It is, in fact, concentrated...like sun-dried tomato paste or pomegranate syrup. My own desire would have been for more depth and development, but its advantage as it stands is in an almost haiku quality. I read it, one chapter a night, for several nights and reading it that way makes it a form of meditation. I suspect it would ...more
Sheri
Sep 04, 2012 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are 3 phases of a woman's life: waxing, full and waning or otherwise known as maiden, mother and crone. A crone is not a bad thing. It refers to a woman who is in or past menopause and is at a stage in her life where others' peoples opinions dont matter so much anymore. She has grown into herself, knows who she is and what has madew her strong are all the struggles she had on the way to getting to this point.
The book is short, just a little over 100 pgs. and is full of wit and humor and
Dottie
Read this a second time on the train March 9th. Pencil in hand the second time around. Still arather "meh" response however. There are bits well worth having read and a couple of spottieds well into other reading I've been doing of late but I'm not in the right place for this one at the moment perhaps or others held more for me. It's small and pithy so give it a shot if it sound at lall right for you.
Barbara
This book was way too short! I argue that if we have made it to this age in one piece, whining has not been a big part of our lives. I know it hasn't been part of mine. Bitching, yes, whining, no . And there is a whale of a difference. I have a sign in my bathroom that reminds me everyday that we don't whine. Another in the kitchen reminding guests to breathe more and whine less. They work, most of the time.
Robbi
Apr 07, 2014 Robbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every other page at least there was a gem. A nugget of truth I knew but didn't know I knew and needed to be reminded. I'm going to find a statue of Hectate, ancient mythical Greek goddess of crossroads. She has three faces - to look at the path you arrived on and the two ahead of you to chose from. Ah! cronehood, who knew!
Esther Harrison
This book was gifted to me, so I read it. Mostly stuff I already knew, mostly stuff I agree with for a mature woman like myself. Younger women may or may not relate to much of this information, because I believe one must experience this life to truly understand and appreciate the many lessons we learn as we live fully.
Brisbride13
Sep 13, 2013 Brisbride13 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I am approaching 48 and I'm already perimenopausal...I feel like Im on the threshhold of "croneness." I already feel and see the 13 qualities either just beginning to bloom or set firmly in place. I found this book to be life affirming and validating and despite some other reviews, i think the author accomplished this without male bashing.
Karen Floyd
Oct 24, 2011 Karen Floyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
It was embarrassing to realize that I whine a lot more than I thought I did! My problems are are not the center of the universe and are no worse than anyone else's. We as a people, a culture, seem to think that it is our right to have an easy, happy life, but there are no guarantees of that. Who would do the guaranteeing?
Abi Begin
Apr 16, 2016 Abi Begin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good book for both men and women to read. It is a lighthearted self-help book helping the reader to take things as they come and think before reacting. It also addresses having passion and pursuing what you love.
Cynda
May 29, 2015 Cynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bolen writes to all women ( and exceptional men), particularly women between 55 and 75. I am not yetm55, and I see That I can hope to achive and aspire to improve upon this final part of my life. Im excited.
Michelle
Oct 20, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
there are some very good ideas in this book in terms of cultivating a good attitude about aging. the author eventual devolves into male-bashing though which is what looses points in my opinion. women can be strong, proactive, positive and vital without resorting to taking shots at men.
Jul 05, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those of us who are crones, or approaching that state
Shelves: recently-read
This was a Mother's Day gift from my daughter Victoria. I LOVE it.
Ms. Bolen lists thirteen qualities a crone should strive for, including non-whining and juiciness. I'm trying to acquire the qualities.
Willice
Jul 23, 2009 Willice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for all women, especially for those of us reaching our middle ages. Now is the time to be radical and to behave the way we want to! Now is the time to live our beliefs and to reach out for more connection. Now is the time to be the wise women we all can be.
Saori Luna
Apr 14, 2016 Saori Luna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aspiro a ser una anciana.
Lo digo con todo mi corazón.
Este hermoso libro fue alimento para mi alma, y me quedo corta de palabras para hablar de sus pros: fácil lectura, buena organización, tamaño perfecto para cargarlo en el bolso.
Creo que es mi mejor lectura a la fecha!
Judy
Mar 27, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have recommended this book to several. I love it's straightforwardness about women. The 13 qualities are on the mark!
Uplifting easy read.
Susan
Jan 21, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are female and over 40 - read it.
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title (which I loved) was far better than the book (which I definitely didn't). Way too New Age for me.
Suzan
Jun 25, 2015 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book but has a lot packed into it. A fast read or a quick reference book for aging with grace.
Lorraine
Jan 22, 2008 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief and pithy!
Eileen
Short, pithy and affirming. each phase of life has its worth and value. embrace it.
Celeste De Bease
Nov 26, 2012 Celeste De Bease rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's a short book packed with insights and wonderful 'journey' maps!
Kim
Apr 15, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I love this and all of Bolen's books! Very insightful, and for me, a reminder of the work that I still have to do.
C.J. Prince
Jan 03, 2009 C.J. Prince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only regret in reading this was it wasn't longer!
Maggie
Apr 11, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goddess, non-fiction
fun light hearted but still with a message. My least favourite of her books so far though.
Katy Defay
Pleasant, quick reading--encouraging words for old ladies like me. Perhaps too simple and quick.
Deidre
Mar 14, 2014 Deidre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent advice for the pre - clone to manifest the kind of wisewoman I aspire to be.
Judaye
Apr 03, 2009 Judaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A spare little book full of the life knowledge of grandmothers and aunties who love us and want the best. Truth is spoken with wisdom.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature
  • Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance
  • Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation
  • Fountain of Age
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • Sexual/Textual Politics: Feminist Literary Theory
  • The Secret Universe of Names: The Dynamic Interplay of Names and Destiny
  • The Feminist Papers: From Adams to de Beauvoir
  • In My Mother's House
  • The Storyteller's Goddess: Tales of the Goddess and Her Wisdom from Around the World
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M. D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s "Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award". She is a former board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women.
More about Jean Shinoda Bolen...

“women in the world will have been beaten or raped in their lifetime and everyday violence requires that women always be alert to this possibility. A crone is a woman who has found her voice. She knows that silence is consent. This is a quality that makes older women feared. It is not the innocent voice of a child who says, “the emperor has no clothes,” but the fierce truthfulness of the crone that is the voice of reality. Both the innocent child and the crone are seeing through the illusions, denials, or “spin” to the truth. But the crone knows about the deception and its consequences, and it angers her. Her fierceness springs from the heart, gives her courage, makes her a force to be reckoned with.” 2 likes
“have, and what” 0 likes