Start by marking “The Hair Wreath and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Hair Wreath and Other Stories

Read eBook

The Hair Wreath and Other Stories

These strange stories gather and weave themselves together into a wreath of memories, rife with an atmospheric and ominous creep redolent of Shirley Jackson. This eerie collection illustrates the disconnect amongst people and the places they inhabit—the gap that allows the supernatural to flourish.
Published September 15th 2010 by ChiZine Publications (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hair Wreath and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hair Wreath and Other Stories

Karissa
Aug 10, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it
I got an eGalley of thsi book through Netgalley(dot)com. It was a great read. The stories are full of beautiful descriptions and haunting events.

This is a collection of short stories. They range from rather incomplete very short glimpses into people's lives to nearly novella length complete stories. The best way to describe the collection is beautiful and haunting. Most of the stories feature either ghosts, or magical realism of some sort. Some of the stories don't necessarily involve magic but
Andrew
Mar 20, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Suffocation is one of the predominant themes in this collection of ghost stories, a first for Tightrope Books publisher Villegas—be it the constriction one feels in a home meant for another or a literal strand of hair that was wound its way through an unfaithful man’s teeth, fastening itself to his heart.

The ghosts in these nineteen tales are not altogether malevolent, but neither are they disinterested observers. In each case, whether they are the focus or merely the vehicle by which another’s
Isidore
Jun 30, 2013 Isidore rated it really liked it
Elegant, delicate, atmospheric tales which edge into the weird, sometimes overtly, sometimes elusively. "Salvage", which closes the collection, is particularly imaginative and haunting, but none of the stories are without merit. The daring lurch in perspective with which "The Other Side" concludes is handled with remarkable finesse, while "The Beautiful Boy", a relatively orthodox weird tale, conveys both fear and pathos. Many of the stories are built around dysfunctional relationships, and ...more
Ben
Aug 29, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
Picked this book up because it was on sale at Borders. A couple of the stories are a little boring, but once you get the purpose and style of her writing this is a very enjoyable collection! Some really creepy stories, and very well-done. She leaves things out so artistically it's crazy; this novel leaves you wondering and wanting more.
Caitmarie24
Aug 30, 2011 Caitmarie24 rated it it was amazing
I was deeply impressed with the stories in this collection. She is an excellent writer, fusing our world with a very well-written literary style, something extremely rare in modern horror. Each story leaves you deeply unsettled without being gory or even typical. Highly recommend it to fans of literature.
Myna
Jan 20, 2011 Myna rated it it was amazing
A fabulous, intoxicating read. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially for those who like an otherworldly take on this world. Grounded in reality, these short stories move into other realms with ease and assuredness.
Melanti
It's not a bad collection by any means, but I think I'd read so many poor and mediocre books in a row just before this one that I was craving something that would blow me away. This didn't, and I think I may have judged it a bit too harshly for that reason.
Scott
Mar 25, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A fine collection of magical realism blended with subtle, sometimes ambiguous horror.
Linda Laforge
Jan 14, 2015 Linda Laforge rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the author's style of writing. She has a wonderful flow and a wistful elegance. Although some stories seem to end, leaving you empty without the conclusion, they at least leave you wondering.

Not all are ghost stories. I enjoyed the ones that delve into the mysteries of the human psyche, like "The Other Side", about a mother with a sick child who seems to have lost all perception of reality.

I am a big fan of old movies and books and I would suspect Villegas is as well. She writes with
Jensine
Oct 05, 2015 Jensine rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book because I'm a big fan of horror anthologies, and while some of the stories were okay, and some I could have seen going somewhere with a better editor, the majority of the book was quite disappointing. The stories were often at best derivative, and at worst, nonsensical. The author didn't seem to be willing to put the work in to create actually horrifying stories, instead relying on over-used cliches and tired tropes to do the heavy lifting for her, leaving the reader ...more
Daniella
Mar 22, 2014 Daniella rated it it was ok
Shelves: czp-reads
I was expecting a lot from this book, and maybe that's why it fell so short. While I did enjoy three of the stories, I found that the entire collection relied a lot on a nonsensical dark element thrown in. Expecting your reader to fill in the blanks because you can't be bothered to make proper connections is not something I enjoy. I would have liked this more had the author committed to the supernatural elements she was using, rather than just hinting at them.
Sydney More
Jul 09, 2015 Sydney More rated it really liked it
A majority of these stories left me thinking I'd missed something, but there were a few real gems. My favourites were 'The Other Side', 'In the Grass', 'Beautiful Boy', 'While He Sleeps', and 'Winter'. I think the strongest in the collection was 'The Unexpected Thing'; it had solid character development and a great twist. I like Villegas' writing style, and I'd pick up a collection of her shorts again.
Sakura Sternberg
Aug 27, 2015 Sakura Sternberg rated it it was ok
Very bland and disappointing. So many stories just amble purposelessly, doling out cliches and generally spinning their wheels until the end. There are a couple of bright spots -- I really loved the story written from the ghost's POV -- but overall this collection was a total dud.
Scott Williams
Jul 20, 2013 Scott Williams rated it really liked it
This is an excellent collection. Each story left me wanting more but each was still satisfying as is. I look forward to reading more of Villegas' work.
Janet
May 25, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A collection of short stories that left me wanting more. Some ranged from feeling incomplete to full length novellas. Haunting and original.
Richelle
Richelle rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Kimberly
May 30, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Some of the stories are more redeeming than others.
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Shay Nicole
Shay Nicole rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Jesse Burneko
Jesse Burneko rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Jacques Filippi
Jacques Filippi rated it liked it
May 26, 2011
Sirensongs
Sirensongs rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Dawn Savoie
Dawn Savoie rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Rene Vandenbrink
Rene Vandenbrink rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
David Bigham
David Bigham rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
LocalPeanut
LocalPeanut rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Halli Villegas is a author and poet based in Toronto, Ontario. She is also the owner and publisher of the independent press Tightrope Books.
More about Halli Villegas...