Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Why on earth does anyone need a guide on how to listen to sermons? Don't we simply need to 'be there' and stay awake? Yet Jesus said: 'Consider carefully how you listen.' The fact is, much more is involved in truly listening to Bible teaching than just sitting and staring at the preacher.

Christopher Ash outlines seven ingredients for healthy listening. He then deals with h...more
Published January 1st 2010 by The Good Book Company

Be the first to ask a question about Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

Will Pareja
A brief and engaging read on a topic not often explored in churches or pastoral theology. I would hand this out to all church leaders, new members, and even naysayers of the sacred monologue. One of cultural, yea human, deficiencies is our inability to listen well, period. This could be a helpful discipleship tool in the life of church. Just start passing it out and see what happens.

For each point, he contrasts how two fictional yet true-to-life people think about and listen to preaching.

One of...more
Peter N.
I was tempted to give this book a five just because there is nothing else like this out there. Ash gives seven ways to effectively listen to a sermon. He then gives advice on how to listen to a dull sermon, a biblically inadequate sermon, and a heretical sermon. Finally, he closes with seven suggestions for encouraging good preaching.

The book strikes a balance between submissively listening to the preacher and yet also thinking through what he says. A reader should leave the book more attentive...more
Greg Wilson
Over the last few years, I have been blessed to discover biblically solid materials being published by ministries outside of the United States. Matthias Media, Day One and The Good Book Company (for example) have all recently opened up offices stateside. When searching for resources, I have increasingly looked to these publishers first. Of course, we Americans must be able to put up with the British spellings and the occasion odd phrase (“listening is like eating a very heavy pudding with nothin...more
Matt Pitts
I had been interested in this book (actually booklet) but never enough to buy it. Then T4G gave it away this year! I was presently surprised to find that it is not the kind of booklet that is simply black and white print on plain paper, but instead every page is glossy has some color or illustrations or both. The whole thing can probably be read in less than an hour, maybe even more like 30-45 minutes (its only about 30 pages). It is very practical, very readable, and very helpful.

I can see grea...more
Jeremiah Von kühn
Small but powerful and practical.
Scott K
Though not a great book it is a good book published by "The Good Book company" I received it as gift book when I attended "Together for The Gospel 2012." It is a quick read 30 pages and as such does not go into great detail but list several key points in listing to a sermon, live, not recorded.

I humbly can write I'm doing most of get 7 suggestions but not as consistently as I should. For a mere 2.99 on Amazon I would think one couldn't go wrong, but you may want to review other reviews.
Mark A Powell
As one of the few writings available on how to listen to sermons, Ash fills a much-needed gap with this booklet. He works through seven ingredients for healthy sermon listening, including examples and follow-up questions along the way. For those who have ever wondered why sermons are necessary (or wondered how to endure a poorly constructed one) this book will help you think and act in helpful ways. The result is easily accessible and easily recommended.
I thought this little book was super helpful. I've never read anything before about how to listen to a sermon. I especially appreciated the practical steps at the end of each section.

Read in October 2013.
Michael Locklear
"Listen Up!" is an excellent booklet with practical advice on listening to sermons. I enjoy the writings of Christopher Ash.
Christopher
Mar 24, 2013 Christopher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christopher by: Pastor Rick Hensley
Very good, very short book on listening to sermons.
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 20, 2014
Hlmncube
Hlmncube marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z added it
Jul 09, 2014
Greg Methvin
Greg Methvin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Louie Berrodin
Louie Berrodin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
imLock
imLock marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Sarah Simpson
Sarah Simpson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Priority of Preaching Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be Marriage: Sex in the Service of God Bible Delight: Heartbeat of the Word of God: Psalm 119 for the Bible Teacher and Hearer Hearing the Spirit: Making the Father Through the Son

“Preaching that makes a church Christ-like under grace takes a double miracle: the sinful preacher must be shaped by grace to preach; and sinful listeners must be awakened by grace to listen together week by week in humble expectancy. Only God can do this. So praying before the sermon is not a formality. Unless God works, the whole thing will be a waste of time.” 0 likes