Start by marking “Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons” as Want to Read:
Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

Why on earth does anyone need a guide on how to listen to sermons? Don't we simply need to 'be there' and stay awake? Yet Jesus said: 'Consider carefully how you listen.' The fact is, much more is involved in truly listening to Bible teaching than just sitting and staring at the preacher.

Christopher Ash outlines seven ingredients for healthy listening. He then deals with h
Published January 1st 2010 by The Good Book Company

Be the first to ask a question about Listen Up! A Practical Guide to Listening to Sermons

Ryan Boomershine
Mar 10, 2015 Ryan Boomershine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: living-well
(booklet)

Many books have been made about the preparing and presenting of a sermon but has ever one been made for the hearing of one?

This is a very practical and important (and brief) guide to preparing to hearing, listening attentively, and responding appropriately...even if the sermon is hard to hear, boring, or heretical.

The booklet chided me about my own lazy hearing. It prompted me with helpful action points and good reminders of how to ready my heart and direct my attention.

#helpful
Will Pareja
Mar 02, 2014 Will Pareja rated it really liked it
A brief and engaging read on a topic not often explored in churches or pastoral theology. I would hand this out to all church leaders, new members, and even naysayers of the sacred monologue. One of cultural, yea human, deficiencies is our inability to listen well, period. This could be a helpful discipleship tool in the life of church. Just start passing it out and see what happens.

For each point, he contrasts how two fictional yet true-to-life people think about and listen to preaching.

One of
Peter N.
Apr 05, 2013 Peter N. rated it really liked it
I was tempted to give this book a five just because there is nothing else like this out there. Ash gives seven ways to effectively listen to a sermon. He then gives advice on how to listen to a dull sermon, a biblically inadequate sermon, and a heretical sermon. Finally, he closes with seven suggestions for encouraging good preaching.

The book strikes a balance between submissively listening to the preacher and yet also thinking through what he says. A reader should leave the book more attentive
Alex
Oct 26, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
A good, quick encouragement to give the preacher your full attention and respect so that you can benefit & grow in the knowledge and love of God.
Thanks Christopher Ash.
Jeff Jones
Feb 17, 2017 Jeff Jones rated it it was amazing
“Adam couldn’t really be doing with sermons. There were a number of things he really liked about church, especially the friends he had made and the music (when the new music group were leading). But not the sermons….They just seemed dull.“Beth was really looking forward to the sermon….with a sense of eager anticipation. She wondered what God was going to say to her. She felt as if someone had told her to expect a telephone call from the U.S. President….

“Beth was right. And Adam was a fool.”

So be
Nick Jones
Feb 14, 2017 Nick Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. The clip art illustrations are a little out of date but get the point across. I'm considering giving these out at our church's membership class.
Danielle
Jul 17, 2017 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Great, short read for the well-churched and the unchurched and everyone in between.
Greg Wilson
Nov 29, 2010 Greg Wilson rated it it was amazing
Over the last few years, I have been blessed to discover biblically solid materials being published by ministries outside of the United States. Matthias Media, Day One and The Good Book Company (for example) have all recently opened up offices stateside. When searching for resources, I have increasingly looked to these publishers first. Of course, we Americans must be able to put up with the British spellings and the occasion odd phrase (“listening is like eating a very heavy pudding with nothin ...more
Matt Pitts
Apr 20, 2012 Matt Pitts rated it really liked it
I had been interested in this book (actually booklet) but never enough to buy it. Then T4G gave it away this year! I was presently surprised to find that it is not the kind of booklet that is simply black and white print on plain paper, but instead every page is glossy has some color or illustrations or both. The whole thing can probably be read in less than an hour, maybe even more like 30-45 minutes (its only about 30 pages). It is very practical, very readable, and very helpful.

I can see grea
Scott K
Apr 29, 2012 Scott K rated it liked it
Though not a great book it is a good book published by "The Good Book company" I received it as gift book when I attended "Together for The Gospel 2012." It is a quick read 30 pages and as such does not go into great detail but list several key points in listing to a sermon, live, not recorded.

I humbly can write I'm doing most of get 7 suggestions but not as consistently as I should. For a mere 2.99 on Amazon I would think one couldn't go wrong, but you may want to review other reviews.
Mark A Powell
Aug 10, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
As one of the few writings available on how to listen to sermons, Ash fills a much-needed gap with this booklet. He works through seven ingredients for healthy sermon listening, including examples and follow-up questions along the way. For those who have ever wondered why sermons are necessary (or wondered how to endure a poorly constructed one) this book will help you think and act in helpful ways. The result is easily accessible and easily recommended.
Adam Thomas
Sep 24, 2016 Adam Thomas rated it really liked it
Does exactly what the subtitle would lead you to expect, in a concise, easily-readable and excellent way. Biblically-grounded, practical wisdom on listening well. I particularly valued the encouragement to write down our specific desired response to each sermon, and then revisiting this at a later point. I imagine this would be a great book for small groups to read together, to help each other to be better listeners.
Oct 31, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I thought this little book was super helpful. I've never read anything before about how to listen to a sermon. I especially appreciated the practical steps at the end of each section.

Read in October 2013.
Aaron Loy
Nov 18, 2014 Aaron Loy rated it really liked it
A very pointed discussion on how we need to come to sermons intentionally with discipline and discernment. I really enjoy how it's written without much fluff and really gets its point across with such few written pages.
Michael Rachel
Nov 10, 2015 Michael Rachel rated it liked it
Good little booklet with helpful insights for both pastor and laypeople.
Chris
Mar 23, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Pastor Rick Hensley
Very good, very short book on listening to sermons.
Jeremiah von Kühn
Aug 20, 2014 Jeremiah von Kühn rated it it was amazing
Small but powerful and practical.
Brad
Apr 10, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
Helpful little resource
Michael Locklear
"Listen Up!" is an excellent booklet with practical advice on listening to sermons. I enjoy the writings of Christopher Ash.
Funmi
Sep 06, 2015 Funmi rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and practical guide. Brief yet the point is clear and well explained. A good read for every Christian.
Eric Molicki
Feb 06, 2015 Eric Molicki rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-life
Short, helpful, wise help on getting the most out of listening to God's Word. Would definitely recommend.
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Philip Boyd
Philip Boyd rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Julian  Paschen
Julian Paschen rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Victor Chininin
Victor Chininin rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Rush Witt
Rush Witt rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Christopher Ash works for the Proclamation Trust in London as director of the Cornhill Training Course. He is also writer in residence at Tyndale House in Cambridge, and is the author of several books, including Out of the Storm: Grappling with God in the Book of Job and Teaching Romans. He is married to Carolyn and they have three sons and one daughter.
More about Christopher Ash...

“Preaching that makes a church Christ-like under grace takes a double miracle: the sinful preacher must be shaped by grace to preach; and sinful listeners must be awakened by grace to listen together week by week in humble expectancy. Only God can do this. So praying before the sermon is not a formality. Unless God works, the whole thing will be a waste of time.” 0 likes