The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss

The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  4,598 ratings  ·  68 reviews
These fabulous, whimsical paintings, created for his own pleasure and never shown to the public, show Geisel (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss) in a whole new light. Depicting outlandish creatures in otherworldly settings, the paintings use a dazzling rainbow of hues not seen in the primary-color palette of his books for children, and exhibit a sophisticated and often quite unrestrained s...more
Published October 3rd 1995 by Random House

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanThe Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Picture Books With Amazing Art
30th out of 210 books — 117 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFire by Kristin CashoreInkheart by Cornelia FunkeGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Seeing Red
461st out of 983 books — 276 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
I love a good art book and I often pick them up from the library to browse through, but I've never reviewed one, simply because I just don't feel qualified! However, this one was so much fun and so different that I just had to share.

If you are a fan of Dr. Seuss, you will love this simple picture book, filled will all sorts of strange delights!

A few of my favorites:

1. Oh, I'd Love to Go to the Party, But I'm Absolutely Dead (p. 26)
2. There They Stood Exactly as They Were Created (p. 28)
3. Gosh!...more
Douglas Koehne
This is not an impressive book. It contains various plates of Dr. Suess and his art not related to the many children's books he wrote during his life. Some of the unique characters and definitely the illustration style on many of these paintings evoke the whimsey and fun he is known for, but unfortunately much of what is shown is just not that interesting. Nothing new is really shown here or learned by the reader so I'm at a loss as to what purpose this book really fills. Pass.
Aleta
Gorgeous collection of Dr. Seuss's art. (I won't say "artwork", because he thought painting wasn't "work" and he'd therefore only do it at night.) I've long wanted this book, and my sweet nieces (with a bit of help from their mother) gave it to me for Christmas! Oh frabjous day! Callou, callay! Whoops, wrong work, but you get the idea.
Samantha
A look at the array of artwork Dr. Seuss produced. I was surprised to see that along with paintings and drawings he also made sculptures. Admittedly I didn't like the sculptures as much because they utilized animal horns which just made me feel uncomfortable. The dimensions of each piece is included as is a list of the media used in its creation (I found this feature to be fascinating).

I loved reading the inventive titles for his works, but was a little surprised/disappointed that some of the pa...more
Dorota
Feb 26, 2013 Dorota rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
PURE EYE CANDY FROM ONE OF THE 20th CENTURY GENIUSES.
A word of warning though: not all pictures are for the eyes of kids!

"The Rather Old Myopic Woman Riding Piggyback on One of Helen's Many Cats"

Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, was a complex man.
Much more so than his books for kids let us believe.

"The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss" for me brought his art to the higher pane.
It also showed that he was not only a great artist but a sexual creature ;)

The book which is mostly a collecti...more
Kelly
I like colorful pictures of cats, ladies & miscellany, so this book is nice to flip through. This is a kind of thin coffee table book that I'm keeping around in the event Conrad or someone else wants to look through it sometime. I have the softcover version, so I guess I'll have to find the ISBN and update this.
David
Apr 16, 2012 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Dr. Seuss was quite an accomplished artist, which is obvious to anyone who has seen his brilliant illustrations. It's always been my opinion that his best books are the ones he illustrated himself. However, he was also quite a painter, particularly with watercolors. Brilliant, absurd, black & white along with color prints are collected here, works that Seuss would only allow a select few to see in his lifetime. Pure eye candy from one of the 20th century's geniuses.
Kyla
I loooooove this book! One of my all-time favorite coffee table books. If you think you've seen Dr. Seuss but haven't seen any of this work - well, you haven't seen Dr. Seuss!

My favorites are:
"An Alley Cat for a Very Long Alley"
"A Man Who Has Made an Unwise Purchase"
"Freebird"
"Every Girl Should Have a Unicorn"

This is must-see. I've been fortunate to see some of Theodor Seuss Geisel's originals in the UCSD collections.
Tina
Jun 19, 2011 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-me
This is NOT a kids book!

I really enjoyed looking through the art work of Dr. Seuss and there is a lot of art that can be shared with the kids. However, there are a few pictures that I'd prefer my kids not to view. It was especially interesting to read the forward by Maurice Sendak. It was also cool to see the characters that Dr Seuss used for in his artwork for several decades.
Andy
Jul 03, 2009 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: seuss lovers, natch!
Shelves: art-gallery, kidstuff
Dr. Seuss was a great artist, there's no two ways about it, and if like me you get headaches reading his irritating prose then this is your book. His plaster sculptures of cute critters will amuse you, his ink and watercolor works will enthrall you with their brilliant surrealism and he possesses a great color sense. Great art without the annoying tongue-twister jive.
Joyce
Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss), the author who revolutionized children's books, painted late at night for fun. This collection of his paintings, with a personal note by his wife and a brief introduction by Maurice Sendak, reveals some facets of his artistry unseen in his books, although the signature zany characters still figure prominently.
M
An amazing artbook with Theodor Geisel's delightful, colorful, genius paintings.

My favorite are:
- The Economic Situation Clarified
- That Winter Spring Came Late
- Joseph Katz and His Coat of Many Colors

LooseLips
Feb 24, 2008 LooseLips rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people with a fascination for fascination.
fascinating. the grown up real life art of dr. suess is a combination of distorted reality and the childhood stories that are forever in the back of your mind. ive had this book for years, but just took it out to look through again and lo, what a world.

and i only say "lo" on very rare occasions. promise.
Stephany
If you loved Dr. Seuss, you're going to flip over this book, which contains Geisel's (the real name of Dr. S) paintings and sculptures. Think the Cat in the Hat on acid, lost in Alice's Wonderland and you'll have a bit of an idea of where these go. Delightful, and spooky. Makes me want to own an original.
Brett Hollinger
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Cory B
It was awesome. There were some really neat drawings in the book. I would not mind having a Dr Seuss print in my house someday. Warning, though, there are some nude drawings. A little weird, and unexpected, but other than that, it was a neat collection.
Cheryl
Dr. Seuss was such as inspiring childrens author and artist. This book showed a bit of his artwork, but I felt that is lacked in having the wonderful, fun feeling that Seuss had. I think he himself would have been displeased with the lack of character.
Megankellie
Delightful, with good introductions from Dr. Seuss's wife and Maurice Sendak. Enjoy random naked ladies popping up but still with good, delightful humor, like "Fooling Nobody":

Rob Dhillon
As with Dr. Seuss in general, the art is amazing and conjures up the story visually. It has so much in it that echoes why I love art. One piece tells a whole story and, as with some artists, can tell different stories based on the different viewers.
Elisabeth
Some of this art is really incredible. Dr. Seuss truly was one of the greatest surrealists.

(Also, some of the art is really inappropriate for children, so you'd be better off just getting them on of Seuss' actual children's books instead.)
Michele Hoover
I absolutely LOVED the forward by Maurice Sendak - this is a compilation of personal artwork Theodore Geisel created, mostly after midnight as he never considered it work - but play :) It is a beautiful memoir of a very talented man.
Kerri
Apr 08, 2011 Kerri rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: adults interested in another side of Dr. Seuss
Theodor Geisel was a very complex man; much more so than his children's books would lead you to believe. Recommended if you're interested in a more intimate and sometimes dark look into his mind and art. Some pics not for children!
AndreaZ
This is awesome. It's like finding Mr. Rogers' secret stash. Well, Mr. Rogers probably didn't have a secret stash, but Dr. Seuss did, and here it is. This guy had an awesome imagination. The sculptures in this book are amazing.
Rebekah
This surprising collection of quirky art work made me fall in love with Seuss as a grown-up. Proof that Seuss is not just for children. This one's not for the kiddies (rated PG-13; yep, Dr. Seuss & nudity do mix)
Vashti Puls
This is a cool book becaise Mr Geisel used to be both a Jouranlist and a political cartoonist. It also explains some of his political views. Fascinating. Also has some naked cartoons in it. Not for kids.
George Brown
Beautiful display, but lacking description.
This book is a good start if you are looking to see a small glimpse of what Seuss did at home but it by no means attempts to explain or elaborate.
Emily
this book is amazing. i did a presentation to a 5th grade class a few years ago and used photos from this comparing it with classic pieces. i had to edit out the dr. seuss boobs in it though.
Marie Murrell
Fabulous, if you are a Dr. Suess fan. In the days of Dr. Suess books, illustrations were printed with few colors--this book contains vibrant illustrations with color that brings them to life.
Allison
Awesome art book. Would make a great coffee table book and conversation starter. I have tried to look for some of these prints to hang in my apartment, but I can't find them anywhere.
  • Dr. Seuss and Mr. Geisel
  • Art Forms in Nature
  • Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing
  • Art of Amy Brown Volume I
  • H.R. Giger ARh+
  • The Art of Maurice Sendak
  • The Photography Book
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Rembrandt, 1606-1669: The Mystery of the Revealed Form
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Transfigurations
  • Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
  • Pop Surrealism: The Rise of Underground Art
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Dali: The Paintings
  • The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to Be The Artist You Truly Are
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax