Start by marking “Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)

Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Over 100,000 copies of this spectacular journey have already been sold. In forty-two consecutive scenes, each at a different 'power of ten' level of magnification, readers are taken from the dimension of one billion light years to the realm of the atom. The text and other illustrations depict what we can perceive at each progressively smaller level of magnitude. "A brillia ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Scientific American Library (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Powers of Ten (Revised), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers of Ten (Revised)

David
Can't tell you how many times I saw this film during my grade school years in the 70s. Fun nostalgia.
Rebecca
Just as cool as I remember. This book may change the way you look at the world!
Brent Barnard
This book was inspired by world-famous designers. The concept? Increasing one's view by powers of ten takes one to the subatomic and universal levels rapidly. Zooming out and in. Neat! But I couldn't make my way through a whole book on the strength of that concept, and returned it to the library early on.
Brian
There is a lot more to this book, but the crux of it is a progressive series of images taken from the original movie. You start way off in space, and the each subsequent image shows an area of 10% the size. By the end, you are zooming deep into the nucleus of an atom. It blew my mind when I was a little kid, and it still does today. I doubt any book could ever hope to capture, in such a simple way, the extent to which modern science has totally transformed our understanding of everyday existence ...more
Thom Foolery
Based on the short film of the same name, Powers of Ten takes the reader on a voyage into the biggest and smallest frames of reference we can currently imagine. Packed with notes and artwork, this book makes a perfect supplement to a classic, mind-blowing short scientific film.
Rob
A fun little classic little science book. It's about the size of things. And our units of measurement. For adults it hopefully impresses that right sense of scale. (When you start at 10^26 meters, you can get an idea of how infinitely small you are.) I want to share this with my child some day.
Anna
Aug 07, 2008 Anna added it
I wrote a 'book report' for math class on this in high school and in the opening sentence unwittingly used the word "astronomical" to which my dry-humored teacher wrote largely something to the effect of that being a pun, or just rewrote the word largely across the top, exclamation point.
Joan
This book starts out with imagery of the universe and slowly backs down by powers of ten to the smallest image available. This is an incredible book if you have any interest in science and the universe as we see it.
Liang Gang Yu
Classic book about relative size of things. It zooms in/out from Cosmos to quark. Recommend. Enjoyed it that I bought its Flip book as gifts for kids.
Martha
All the way in and all the way out in pix--turns out they look the same. Brilliant idea, endlessly fascinating.
Bern J
About the Relative Size of Things in the Universe.
Facinating.
Ben
A wonderfully imaginative book, and important to me personally.
Johanna
AWESOME book! Shows how significant - and insignificant - we all are
Christian Bailey
Christian Bailey marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Eegore James
Eegore James marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Anahi
Anahi added it
Oct 23, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Noneo Yobidnezz
Noneo Yobidnezz marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Neelima
Neelima marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Billybob
Billybob marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Phiona Kari
Phiona Kari marked it as to-read
Jennifer Saylor
Jennifer Saylor marked it as to-read
Katarina Marcijasz
Katarina Marcijasz marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Planiverse: Computer Contact with a Two-Dimensional World
  • The Backyard Astronomer's Guide
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time
  • Building Big
  • Einstein's Universe
  • The Art of Scientific Investigation
  • Mütter Museum: Historic Medical Photographs
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA
  • Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
  • Magic Eye 1: A New Way of Looking at the World (Magic Eye, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • Expedition: Being and Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV
  • The Manga Guide to Statistics
The Ring of Truth: An Inquiry into How We Know What We Know Zehn Hoch: Dimensionen zwischen Quarks und Galaxien Les puissances de dix Potenze Di Dieci: Le Dimensioni Delle Cose Nell'universo Ovvero: Cosa Succede Aggiungendo Un'altro Zero Nothing Is Too Wonderful to Be True