Start by marking “Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)

Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Over 100,000 copies of this spectacular journey have already been sold. In forty-two consecutive scenes, each at a different 'power of ten' level of magnification, readers are taken from the dimension of one billion light years to the realm of the atom. The text and other illustrations depict what we can perceive at each progressively smaller level of magnitude. "A brillia ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Scientific American Library (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Powers of Ten (Revised), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers of Ten (Revised)

David
Sep 15, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Can't tell you how many times I saw this film during my grade school years in the 70s. Fun nostalgia.
Rebecca
Just as cool as I remember. This book may change the way you look at the world!
Larry Hill
Jan 23, 2016 Larry Hill rated it it was amazing
This book does a good job of describing the very small in the universe, to the very large. It is a bit out of date, but still a very good read.
Brent Barnard
May 19, 2014 Brent Barnard rated it it was ok
This book was inspired by world-famous designers. The concept? Increasing one's view by powers of ten takes one to the subatomic and universal levels rapidly. Zooming out and in. Neat! But I couldn't make my way through a whole book on the strength of that concept, and returned it to the library early on.
Brian
Jul 11, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it
There is a lot more to this book, but the crux of it is a progressive series of images taken from the original movie. You start way off in space, and the each subsequent image shows an area of 10% the size. By the end, you are zooming deep into the nucleus of an atom. It blew my mind when I was a little kid, and it still does today. I doubt any book could ever hope to capture, in such a simple way, the extent to which modern science has totally transformed our understanding of everyday existence ...more
Jason
Based on the short film of the same name, Powers of Ten takes the reader on a voyage into the biggest and smallest frames of reference we can currently imagine. Packed with notes and artwork, this book makes a perfect supplement to a classic, mind-blowing short scientific film.
Rob
Apr 05, 2008 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, 2008
A fun little classic little science book. It's about the size of things. And our units of measurement. For adults it hopefully impresses that right sense of scale. (When you start at 10^26 meters, you can get an idea of how infinitely small you are.) I want to share this with my child some day.
Anna
Aug 07, 2008 Anna added it
I wrote a 'book report' for math class on this in high school and in the opening sentence unwittingly used the word "astronomical" to which my dry-humored teacher wrote largely something to the effect of that being a pun, or just rewrote the word largely across the top, exclamation point.
Joan
Feb 14, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with imagery of the universe and slowly backs down by powers of ten to the smallest image available. This is an incredible book if you have any interest in science and the universe as we see it.
Liang Gang Yu
Nov 14, 2013 Liang Gang Yu rated it really liked it
Classic book about relative size of things. It zooms in/out from Cosmos to quark. Recommend. Enjoyed it that I bought its Flip book as gifts for kids.
Martha
Oct 06, 2009 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, 5-stars, reviews
All the way in and all the way out in pix--turns out they look the same. Brilliant idea, endlessly fascinating.
Bern J
May 20, 2013 Bern J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
About the Relative Size of Things in the Universe.
Facinating.
Ben
May 23, 2011 Ben rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully imaginative book, and important to me personally.
Johanna
May 04, 2008 Johanna rated it it was amazing
AWESOME book! Shows how significant - and insignificant - we all are
Jorven Viilik
Jorven Viilik marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
C. R.
C. R. marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Mohsin
Mohsin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Rose Dyhouse
Rose Dyhouse marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sandy Rutkowski
Sandy Rutkowski rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
BOB TOABE
BOB TOABE rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Mr Curtis James
Mr Curtis James rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Andrew Pflaum
Andrew Pflaum rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Kamal
Kamal rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Kamariddin Sharapov
Kamariddin Sharapov marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
  • The Planiverse: Computer Contact with a Two-Dimensional World
  • The Big Bang Never Happened: A Startling Refutation of the Dominant Theory of the Origin of the Universe
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • Quack and Count
  • Building Big
  • Modern Physics
  • The Art of Scientific Investigation
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time
  • Surfing Through Hyperspace: Understanding Higher Universes in Six Easy Lessons
  • The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey Into The Land Of The Chemical Elements
  • Filters against Folly
  • Einstein's Universe
  • Magic Eye 1: A New Way of Looking at the World (Magic Eye, #1)
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present
  • The Backyard Astronomer's Guide
  • Expedition: Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV