Start by marking “Burning Marguerite” as Want to Read:
Burning Marguerite

Elizabeth Inness-Brown

Burning Marguerite

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  38 reviews
One winter morning James Jack Wright finds ninety-four-year-old Marguerite Deo—the woman he has always known as “Tante”—lying dead in the woods outside his cabin, clad only in a flowered nightgown. With this arresting scene, Elizabeth Inness-Brown ushers readers into her mysterious and lyrical narrative, the story of two closely braided lives that forces a reconsideration ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Ulverscroft Large Print Books, Ltd. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Burning Marguerite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Marguerite

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Jan 13, 2009 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanette by: rosen
3 1/2 stars

With just a little more depth, this would have been a four-star book for me. There were some things left unexplained about certain characters that left their motivations a little fuzzy. However, this was still a very captivating story. I read all but the last 20 pages in one night!! The prose is very smooth and light, making it very easy to read. This kind of prose always makes me suspect an author of secretly being a poet.

This is a very different sort of mystery in that you don't re
Graceann
James Jack wakes up one morning to find his 94-year-old guardian, the lady who raised him and loved him all his life, dead in the snow outside their home. From this grim start stems a layered, beautifully-written story of secrets and sacrifice.

The life of Marguerite Deo is told in her own voice, reaching back across the years. She reveals her story in her own time, and expects you to be patient and to trust that the information she imparts now will have meaning later. I loved Marguerite, and wa
Rosemary
This book had the kind of journey I love. You sometimes feel like you are meandering down side streets, peaking around corners, and discovering interesting bits of the world to pocket away and bring out every once in a while to contemplate on. Loved it and cried when the journey was over, not because I was happy or sad, something in-between?

If you don't enjoy Literary Fiction this probably won't do anything for you but if you like to take that road sometimes I highly recommend.
Sandie
A friend recommended this book. It is unclear where the book is set, but the author lives on an island in Lake Champlain, so I am thinking it might be Vermont. The main family is of French ancestry.

I liked the book, it was a bit of a slow start, but once you get into it it is riveting. I thought the plotting was mostly well done, but I had a problem with the denouement. If Daniel was a rapist, why is the couple holding hands? Wouldn't she be afraid of him? Or at least disliking him? Their frien
Christine-Chioma
I would give this book 3.5 stars. Somewhere between liked it and really liked it.

I read this for my work book club. I read it quickly and enjoyed reading it, but I wouldn't say I LOVED it. It's very well-written, but kind of weird. It was a good pick for October/Halloween.

During the majority of the book I enjoyed the backstory more than the mystery at the center of the novel until I realized they were the same thing. Innes-Brown does a good job of slowly unfolding the details of Marguerite Deo'
Yvonne
This is one of those books that remind you that family is what you make of it. I was certainly saddened by the fact that Maurgurite's family was so easily able to turn her out for her youthful disgressions, to take a life so easily as though it would erase what happened.

It was just a pleasing to see her fortune turn around in finding a strong bond of love and her determination in raising James Jack, though I do wonder if it was her way of redeeming herself. Despite that, the bond between Marguer
Wendy
At first I wasn't sure about this book, but as you sink deeper into the story it unfolds from end to beginning. The characters are revealed through flashbacks that are well done. You think you understand a person and why they do things, but then family secrets and past heartaches slowly unfold giving much better insight. It's almost surprising that you don't see it before. I thought it was well written for a mature audience. I like the blending of the characters lives and think Inness-Brown is a ...more
Cynthia
A good book when you want an interesting story and a quick read. Very character focused with a story that gets deeper and more complex as the story progresses and the main character opens up her world to the reader. Definitely enjoyed this novel.
Carrol
This book was given to me as a "favorite". I had neither heard of it or it's author. It is a haunting story that unfolds throughout the entire novel. The story is alternately narrated by (recently deceased) 94 year old Marguerite and James Jack, the 35 year old she raised from a child. Marguerite has many secrets which unfold throughout the story and ultimately explain motivation in raising James Jack. It is basically set on a barren New England island but also parts of it take place in New Orle ...more
Naomi
Absolutely boring and it was too slow. the plot was dry for me,leaving my mind to wonder off in search of better books on my shelves.
Nance
loved the characters
Jenny K
This book was kind of choppy in the layout to me. I actually just picked it off the library shelf. It was ok entertainment wise, but would not recommend it.
Debby
well done..rather depressing
anna
A nice read, thoroughly enjoyerd it... visited end of life, relationship, and family issues pretty deeply. I only wish a few more things were laid out, it seemed there were holes. like now, a week later, I am still wishing I had answers to certain questions about characters and events. I guess to me that is also what makes one book stand out more than another (if i am still thinking of it a week later) so maybe the missing pieces were a good thing.
Jennifer Schneider
I had the hardest time getting in to this book. I struggled through the first 70 pages or so. The writing felt awkward and overly flowery. But then, suddenly, it felt easier to read, and it was much more interesting. In the end, the story wasn't very exciting, and the big secret didn't feel all that shocking. And I hated the ending. Overall, I felt very ambivalent about this book.
Sharon
I looked carefully for the first book I would be recommending to my new book group. I am pleased with this selection. The author creates a story of love, and the communities we make in our towns and our families. Fierce love, growing and healing interweave between stories going forward with James Jack and reflecting back with Tante. Looking forward to the discussion.
Elena
Burning Marguerite is an elegant little treasure that is both lyrical and engaging. The story unfolds from three distinct voices and the way the author weaves the three stories into one cohesive plot is extremely well done. Details about life on the island and depression era New Orleans are picturesque and the setting is an intricate part of the novel.
Lisa
A lovely, sad book set in both New England and New Orleans about family love and obligation, but especially what it means to be a mother. This book is full of secrets which reveal themselves slowly, in beautifully honed language. This book is for people who love literary fiction as well as those who just want a good yarn.
gaudeo
One of the very best books I've read in a long time. From the setting to the characterization to the plotting, this is an assured and moving novel. The relationship at its heart, that between a man and the woman who raised him, is rendered with great depth. I'll be recommending this book to anyone who will listen!
Rada
I liked it. The first chapter was a little choppy, but then the author found her rhythm and it got better. I also liked how the author left the reader hanging at the end, so they could decide what happened. It was not as mysterious as a mystery, but still a good October read.
Janet
Feb 2005 bookgroup book
Marguerite Deo (Tante)94 yrs old with flashbacks
James Jack Wright 35 years old with flashbacks
Turn of the century New Orleans and remote northen Grain Island
Author raised in upstate NY, teaches at St Michael College and lives in Vt.
UpstateNYgal
This book is a lot of flashback stories but do not let that scare you away.
It was very good and well written.
One of the main characters, Jack returns to the place where his Aunt raised him and that's where the story begins.
Cindy
Burning Marguerite is a good book about the relationship an adoptive mother has with her grown son. It also tells about the mother's life as a young woman in the early part of the 20th century. I would recommend this book.
Tammy Hetrick
I read this years ago, and the story and characters have stayed with me. I loved the characters, great writing, setting(s), and smooth use of flashback. This is a tender book that both comforts and haunts.
Maureen
I did not have any expectations when I began to read this book so that might be part of why I liked it so much. It is an interesting story. Not at all what I thought it was going to be.
Frances
The story was intriguing, and I kept alternating between being unable to set it down and needing to set it down to escape from the onslaught of the story. I do recommend it.
Karla
This book has been on my to read list for quite awhile. A friend loaned me her copy. The cover says it is hauntingly surprising...masterfully controlled. I agree.
Tyra
I'm feeling generous and rating this 5 stars (it is really a 4.5). It was a quiet little book that snuck up on me. I enjoyed the writing, the story, the characters.
Christina
I could not put this book down. It is a short read (just over 230 pages), but the story is seemingly simple until hints of the past come sneaking to the surface.
Paige Farmer
A wonderful descriptive read about a mother's love ... told in flashback style in a dreamlike way. Loved it!

For fans of Olive Kitteridge 1 2 Feb 28, 2013 04:39AM