Start by marking “Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)” as Want to Read:
Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)

Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,577 ratings  ·  78 reviews

Clarence Abernathy, an Oregon columnist and suburban middle-class black, is dragged into a world of inner-city gangs, drugs, violence and racial conflict. Clarence's anger at injustices he cannot control pulls him onto t
Published December 30th 2008 by Multnomah Books (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dominion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dominion

Amanda
Dec 04, 2013 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian readers
Shelves: spiritual, mystery
This review isn't going to be the easiest to write if I really delve into why I liked the book and the parts I didn't like, because someone out there is bound to call me a rascist. That's not the case.

The truth is, I thought this book was awesome. As a Christian mystery novel, it obviously came across as spiritual, but in a way that didn't overpower a reader. Even a non-Christian could read the book and get into the main story. Alcorn puts alot of philosophy in his book as well, and the picture
Jenn
This book was very hard for me to get through. It was LOADED with racial issues (we're talking every sentence, no exaggeration, was regarding race, white vs. black, judging based on race, etc.) and frankly it was so distracting that I ended up skimming/skipping those sections by the end (as well as the Heaven scenes. They seemed irrelevant to the story line). The point was made in the first 100 pages. Besides, the dialogue wasn't believable during the race discussions. Don't get me wrong, I thin ...more
Tuuli Platner
Not as good as Deadline.
Maybe it's just because I live in the UK - where racial prejudice is nowhere near such a big issue, because most 'non-English' (!) moved here of there own volition - but it got tiresome being bashed over and over again for being an assumedly ignorant white American. And that while the protagonist is the biggest racist in the book. And doesn't seem to actually realise it ever.
Alenna
This book wasn't the full of the typical fluff that a lot of Christian books have - it had a lot of depth. It also made me think about a lot of things that don't normally cross my mind much: inner city life, gangs, drugs, racial conflict, prejudices and also heaven. Heaven was REAL in this book and while I have believed that my entire life, this book left me with a longing for my true home.
Kristina
My favorite in this series, which seems to be unusual in my reading circle. I appreciate that Alcorn doesn't shy away from uncomfortable issues involving race and gang crimes, but doesn't wallow in their ugliness either.
Gloria
I wasn't really sure how to feel about this book because of my perception of the last one. So while I thought that I wouldn't enjoy it, I actually did.

Clarence Abernathy, who was introduced in the first book, is the protagonist in this book. He lives in the suburbs and his sister Dani lives in city. After visiting her one day, he received word that she and one of her daughters had been shot.

The story follows Clarence and Oliver Chandler, also in the first book, as they try to figure out who kill
Ray
I really wanted to like this book. I am a Christian and I really liked the other books Randy wrote, "Deadline" was great, "Safely home" was very moving, but I had to stop reading this book. I am not offended or surprised by the heaven scenes as the consideration for afterlife is what Randy's ministry is all about. As a Christian I welcomed them and appreciated the reminder to think about what I believe.

However, they did appear much more frequently than they did in the other two books I mentione
Tom
When his sister and niece are murdered in what appears to be a senseless drive-by shooting, Portland journalist Clarence Abernathy is forced into an evaluation of his racial identity. His planned move into a swankier neighborhood is derailed and he moves his family into his deceased sister's home in a poor section of Portland. He meets Ollie, the white detective who is handling his sister's case. Over the course of the book, he holds discussions with Ollie and with Jake, another white friend, an ...more
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
Product Description

Sweet Revenge?

When two senseless killings hit close to home, columnist Clarence Abernathy seeks revenge for the murders—and, ultimately, answers to his own struggles regarding race and faith. After being dragged into the world of inner-city gangs and racial conflict, Clarence is encouraged by fellow columnist Jake Woods to forge an unlikely partnership with a redneck homicide detective. Soon the two find themselves facing dark forces, while unseen eyes watch from above. Thi

Lee Anne
April 23: Again, this author's content, as in his other book I read, is trite, with a low-level vocabulary & rife with hackneyed or mismatched analogies. I'm on p.142 & not sure I can continue with the negative racial diatribes from the bitter protagonist. After looking at a couple of other reviews on Goodreads i see i am not alone in this observation. I may not finish it. I may pick it up again & skim before book club meets to discuss it in June. The action picked up a bit from p.25 ...more
Stefan
Dominion is one of my favorite works of fiction by a Christian author written from a Christian perspective. The narrative is well written and thus highly readable, the dialogue is tense and catchy, the characters and their respective histories and environments were in my opinion a major reason for reading Dominion. I especially connected and enjoyed reading about two secondary but nonetheless important characters: homicide detective Ollie Chandler and Obadiah Abernathy. The simplicity, disciplin ...more
Grampy
Second in a series of three books by Randy Alcorn, "Deadline" and "Deception" being the other two, I highly recommend reading all three. Randy is a writer of Christian literature, but for those of you who may be turned off by the label "Christian literature", this series of three books will entertain you as suspenseful thrillers on their own merit. The Christian aspect is present, but subtle, and will not interfere with your enjoyment of three good thrillers. Randy does not write his fiction wit ...more
Abby
Wendy Dawn
Good book.

A journalist gets involved with a cop trying to unravel his sisters murder. His sister was mistakenly hit in a gang murder, but nothing is as it appears when turf wars and gang wars are entanbled with the fight for personal survival.

Lays a a lot of groundwork for other Alcorn works. From the perspective of being thought provoking spiritualy and socially this is a phenominal book.

For casual reading this book is a little hard to get through. Not difficult reading, just lots of overlap
Brittany
Sports columnist Clarence Abernathy is heartbroken when his sister and her five year old daughter are killed in what appears to be a gang shooting. He enlists the help of Detective Ollie Chandler, and they will stop at nothing to find justice.
"Dominion" covers some important subjects such as racism, gang activity, Salvation, and even angels. It had some really good stuff in it; but overall I didn't like this book nearly as much as I liked "Deadline". Especially the first half really held my int
Mom
At first, I thought I was going to like this book, altho a little tired of Alcorn's heavenly scenes which I believe to be based on assumptions. Also do not care for the way in which Jesus is depicted as being so in love with us...as is common in current Christian thought and writings.

The book is about racial issues and black culture, which I appreciated knowing more about. However, the story line got old as it turned out to be so similar to what is common cops and robbers TV/movie fare with some
Simon Gelling
Very enjoyable thriller,and also made me think about how other people feel and are treated.
Sebrina
Difficult to get into at first, but worth it in the end.
This book had a little of everything in it! The author,Randy Alcorn,covered a wide range of topics and did a great job I think of it.Just a tip,I didn't realize that this book was number 2 in a series and so I read this book first.Then I read the 3rd,and then I realized it was part of a series,although I think that these could be read in any order you wish.Some of the book can be a little intense,so a more mature aduience would enjoy this...Enjoy!
Micah
This book is very racially loaded. It made me realize some of the small things that I do that are discriminating and so now I'm trying to change. The religious views of the book are very dominant. Overall it was written from a different perspective than I'm used to. It made me think, but I took a long time to finish it. It didn't quite draw me in. It's a pretty sad story in my opinion, and there is a twist in the mystery at the end.
Starla Gooch
At first I didn't like this book. We already hear so much about racism and I viewed this as just another attempt at trying to complain about it. It wasn't until the last couple hundred pages that I realized how much our perception is really altered because of race and I began to notice my own biased perceptions in every day life. This book made me look into myself and encouraged me to change the way I see the world.
Elaine
book/audio
The second in Randy Alcorn's series.

Detective Ollie Chandler is back!

What really happened behind the killing of a woman in a less-than-successful neighborhood? Why is Clarence Abernathy from the newspaper involved to the extent that he is?

This series of Randy's books also deal with angels and demons and the writing moves back and forth from earth to the spiritual realm.

Eve Woods
Randy Alcorn writes a good murder story but gets bogged down in preaching to his readers. His imagined heaven is beautiful. Too bad he'll never see it himself. He preaches gallantly about how we are all created in God's image and are all equal. Brilliant. Then he shows himself for a bigot when he mentions homosexuality.

Having said that I love the characters he creates and he tells a good story.
Matt Barker
Another great book from Randy Alcorn

Publisher's Summary

In this spin-off from Deadline, columnist Clarence Abernathy seeks revenge for murder. He finds himself facing dark forces, while unseen eyes watch from above. This fascinating murder-mystery offers a deeper understanding of the meaning of life and a fascinating glimpse inside heaven.
Mary
I can't wait to get the next one!
Sean
This book is part of a wonderful series that I LOVE!!! It gives such an interesting view of what heaven and hell might be like, and it's a thrilling murder mystery that deals with some wonderful issues.

The only reason that I wouldn't rate it a 5 star is because the writing isn't fantastic and he's kind of long winded.
Better than Deadline, Dominion continues to build upon Randy Alcorn's unique view of heaven. While this is not the focus of the book, it is a noticeable part. The story of Dominion is also not as repetitive as Deception, although he does address the same issues and the characters seem to have the same conversations repeatedly.
Kip
first book of Randy's that I have read was referred to me by a friend it's ok at best not one I would pick for a first read for someone the heaven scenes are a bit hard to be ok with but keeping in mind it is a novel there is a bit of entertainment there all in all I would not recomend this to a beggining reader.
Jeanine
absolutely loved the book. only thing that really bugged me was the bad editing!!! The subject matter of racism through the various cultural aspects was eye-opening. Seeing both dominions - this world and the other worlds - hell & heaven. Amazing! Looking forward to the next book - Deception.
Noelle
This really opened up my eyes to the world of gangs and inner-city life. It also reignited the fire for spreading the gospel to people, before it's too late. Highly recommend!
It does contain some content that may not be suitable for younger readers. I would recommend high schoolers and up.
  • When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)
  • The List
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Riven
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • First the Dead
  • Dead Heat (The Last Jihad, #5)
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • The Great Divide
  • Sorcerer
  • The Justice Game
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Eli
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...
Courageous Safely Home Heaven Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1) The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving (LifeChange Books)