Start by marking “Shadows of Myth and Legend” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Myth and Legend

Shadows of Myth and Legend

A collection of dark faerie tales, inspired by folklore, myth and legend, told in the haunting lyrical style of dark poet E.J. Stevens.
Published March 3rd 2010 by Sacred Oaks Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Myth and Legend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Myth and Legend

Apr 28, 2011 TheSecretWriter rated it it was amazing
I love poetry and so when I opened up this particular book for the first time and started reading, I quickly became captured by the imagery and depth that is so beautifully revealed within this amazing collection of paranormal poems written by E.J. Stevens.

This slim book is divided into four parts under the headings of Earth and Below; Air and Spirit; Fire and War; and Water and Ice. The four headings acts as the structure within this book, around which 54 paranormal poems written by E.J. Steven
Jul 04, 2010 Kelli rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Shadows of Myth and Legend even more than From the Shadows, Stevens' first book of poetry. Each poem describes Stevens' interpretation of ancient myths and legends. Like From the Shadows, I had some favorites in Shadows of Myth and Legend:

"Vampire's Thrall"---I enjoyed it so much I read it three times
"Love of a Shifter"---which made me laugh out loud although laughter was probably inappropriate as the poem is about death
"Elven Bride"---I loved the outstanding imagery
"Siren Song"---whic
Apr 11, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
E.J. Stevens is an amazing poet. I was intrigued by the dark poetry and I have to say that it really comes through in this book. The darkness was captured very nicely and there really is some amazing talent here. Anyone who is a fan of vampires, poetry, dark things should pick this up. I was impressed.
Kevin Maze
Apr 11, 2011 Kevin Maze rated it it was amazing
I saw this book advertised as "the chilling collection of paranormal poetry". I love poetry and the paranormal, but I'd never read paranormal poetry. I was intrigued. I downloaded a sample onto my Kindle, which stopped in the middle of one of the poems; I downloaded the book without even thinking, just knowing I had to finish the poem! (And for only $2.99, there's really nothing to think about.) Wow! I am now an E.J. Stevens fan! Like the other reviewers have mentioned, there are poems involving ...more
Apr 07, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing , Great Blog if you have a moment to check it out. I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to think of this one. When I read the back I kept thinking ... Paranormal, Fae, folklore .... This could be so good because I am absolutely in love with all things Fae and Paranormal! Or it could be horrible, because the author could just not understand the real folklore behind the Fae and all other paranormal creatures and just make a whole bunch of stuff up and be a poser.. ...more
Apr 23, 2010 Gretchen rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads-win
The world's darkest creatures have been waiting for this poetry. E.J. Stevens worked magic with these creatures to bring their hearts, desires and needs to the pages of her wonderful book.

Many of the poems give a perspective often not taken, through the eyes of misunderstood creatures seen as evil or dangerous.

As I read the poems I did not feel fear, I felt sympathy for the creatures as they are not too different from those they hunt.

Overall the topic was wonderful and arrangement of the poem
Elizabeth *Swords for Fighting*
Shadows of Myth and Legend by E.J. Stevens is a book of poetry. E.J. Stevens is definitely a talented poet. I enjoyed reading her dark poems. The book is separated into four sections: Earth & Below, Air & Spirit, Fire & War, and Water & Ice. I do not usually read poetry, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked these poems. They have a dark and Gothic feel with creatures such as zombies, vampires, werewolves, unicorns, elves, fairies, and more. E.J. Stevens covers many m ...more
Apr 21, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shadows of Myth and Legend by E.J Stevens, may be only seventy pages long but it is filled with poems about vampires, demons and other creatures of the night. It is not your typical book of poetry but “dark poetry”. I have always been a fan of the supernatural and I enjoyed the book. The author has a wonderful imagination and some of her poems were chilling. I recommend this book to everyone who is not afraid of the dark and what lurks within it.
Freda Labianca
May 29, 2010 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it
Bravo E.J!
I really enjoyed this little work of Art!
I was lulled into the dark mind of a poet, and taken on a trip. It was fantastic, and I had so many favorites, though this stood out to me: Grindylow - Page 45. I love a great horror, and this was one of those tales that did not disappoint me in the scare department!
I recommend this delectably dark book to every one!
Monisa Ahmed
Jan 06, 2011 Monisa Ahmed rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
good work!
The BookChick
My Rating:

Book Description:
Paranormal poetry anthology by dark poet E.J. Stevens.

A collection of dark faerie tales inspired by folklore, myth and legend told in the haunting lyrical style of dark poet E.J. Stevens. Filled with poems about vampires, werewolves, and other paranormal creatures of the night.

Take a journey into the pages of Shadows of Myth and Legend and discover what creatures lurk within the shadows.

Queen of Elphame, Vampire's Thrall, Exile, Jiang Shi, Love of a Shifter,
So I am not a huge poetry fan, I tend to lose interest easily or feel like I'm reading a book for school and it's very rare for me to truly enjoy a poetry book.

Having said that, This poetry collection was ok, I still had issues reading it just due to my general poetry disinterest. However if you really like poetry you'll probably find this to be an excellent example of it. Everything was grammatically correct and it seemed to be of a decent tempo.

I'm reading Out of the Shadows now and so far I
Lindis Russell
Jun 05, 2012 Lindis Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absoutely loves Stevens' poetry. Delightly paranormal. It put a new fantasy twist on several of my favorite creatures and introduced me to a few new ones. A very great quick read that I just might get out every Halloween to review, put me in the creepy mood. I'm now going to read "From the Shadows" I also recommend her "Spirit Guide" series! Happy Reading!
Hauwa M. M.
Hauwa M. M. rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2014
Melvinnand rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Brionna rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2015
Ami Blackwelder
Ami Blackwelder rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2010
Julie Rogers
Julie Rogers rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2014
Bettina LeBlanc
Bettina LeBlanc rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Faye Simmons
Faye Simmons rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Tanwen Ravensword
Tanwen Ravensword rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2012
Luceinda Kole
Luceinda Kole rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2010
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Premi rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Ron Langley
Ron Langley rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2010
Louise Buxton
Louise Buxton rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Grammy 1
Grammy 1 rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Lenny rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Molly rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2015
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • Manchester House
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Sideshow: Ten Original Tales of Freaks, Illusionists and Other Matters Odd and Magical
  • The Hunted of 2060 (Shifter Evolutions #5)
  • The Language of Trees
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)
  • Vampyre
  • Killian
E.J. Stevens is the author of the SPIRIT GUIDE young adult paranormal romance series, the HUNTERS' GUILD urban fantasy series, and the award-winning IVY GRANGER urban fantasy series. She is known for filling pages with quirky characters, bloodsucking vampires, psychotic faeries, and snarky, kick-butt heroines.

When E.J. isn't at her writing desk, she enjoys dancing along seaside cliffs, singing in
More about E.J. Stevens...