Start by marking “Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Love Poems

Love Poems

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Whether writing of longing or adultery, seduction or simple homely acts of love, Carol Ann Duffy brings to her readers the truth of each experience. Her poetry speaks of tangled, heated passion; of erotic love; fierce and hungry love; unrequited love; and of the end of love.
Published February 1st 2010 by Picador USA (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems

Mara Shaw
Brilliant! Duffy's poems are lush, rich, textured, emotive, accessible and so lovely. Vivid poetry on the topic of love with great insight -- from the early crush to adultery to heartbreak to distant longing. Some poems made me laugh, some made my heart pound with Duffy's perfect selection of metaphor.

Carol Ann Duffy was named Britain's Poet Laureate in 2009, the first woman, first Scot and first openly gay person to hold the position. Her words are literally perfect. She knows love and has suc
Andy  Stamp
My poetry choice for #readingrewards 2013 was Love Poems by Carol Ann Duffy.
After hearing and reading many positive reviews about the poet I thought I would try this short collection of love poems.
Containing over 30 poems, Duffy symbolises many high emotions when talking about love, betrayal, affairs, adultery, sex etc. and the majority are very imaginative, dramatic and bring you into the picture she is painting.
After a while however there is a familiarity seeping in with little alteration to t
Laala Alghata
“Till his name was no longer a certain spell
for his face. The last hair on his head
floated out from a book. His scent went from the house.
The will was read. See, he was vanishing
to the small zero held by the gold of my ring.” — Mrs Lazarus by Carol Ann Duffy

I’m never very eloquent went reviewing a collection of poetry. I’m good at talking about each poem separately, just not as a whole. Anyway, here it goes.

I love this anthology. It’s a collection of what are arguably Carol Ann Duffy’s most famo
Tom
Poetry has always liked escapism. Names like Wordsworth, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Coleridge - they all followed the old Bond adage 'the world is not enough' in one way or another. Recently though, poetry has been trying to escape much more than just the world. The poets of today find themselves cornered, because, after all, what is the use of poetry nowadays? A re-invention of poetry, therefore, seems, if not necessary, mandatory.

This forced creative impulse sends a lot of poets down strange paths
Bee Halton
I do not often rate a book with 5 stars but this one has really stirred and touched me.
The way she describes love in all its variations goes deep under your skin. Her poems create images in your mind and make you long for more. One I can relate to and there are not a lot of them. I do not think she writes the same way than Erich Fried but her poems had the same effect on me like his did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Selten bewerte ich ein Buch mit 5 Sternen aber
Helen
I know some of these poems off by heart. Fantastic read. And read again. And read aloud. And read to your lover. And read to those who you know will share your experiences in her poems and experiences you have not had but feel you have through her poetry...
Teo
Most of the poems were really refreshing! Always amazes me how love, in its literary form, can manifest itself in so many expressions - some personal, some obviously imagined (no less vividly). Duffy is an imaginative poet with a strong personal voice :)
Vicki
In Love Poems, you will find a selection of fabulous Duffy poems dealing with matters of the heart. The poems are collected from Selling Manhattan, The Other Country, Mean Time, The World's Wife, Feminine Gospels, Rapture and The Bees. A great mix and quite a few favourites. Duffy is a poet who I have always felt strongly about ever since I was introduced to her work, she can take a single action like making a cup of tea and understand the context, history and emotion behind that single action. ...more
Frances
OMG I have a signed copy and I met her last night!!!!!! :-)
She read my favourite poem aloud - and many more brilliant ones to find - which I first found her through on the JW website, Tea.

Finished today....A new favourite is found....'Syntax' *gushes*
April
My two favourite poems from this book were "Valentine" and "Tea", though I really enjoyed all of it. It's a book worth re-reading.
Ann
Really enjoyed it a lot. Haven't read poetry in a while and that was a really good re-introduction.
Moushumi Ghosh
A very powerful voice and her craft just shines through. Now I know why she was made the poet laureate.
Jane
Favourites: 'Who Loves You' and 'Words, Wide Night'
Ruwaida Shaikh
beautiful.
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Rick
Rick added it
Jan 10, 2015
Samantha Wang
Samantha Wang marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Renee Thomas
Renee Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Harley Brown
Harley Brown marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Kid
  • Tell Me the Truth about Love
  • The Magnificent Spinster
  • The Love Songs of Sappho
  • The Truth About Lorin Jones
  • Hide & Seek
  • The Dagger and the Cross (Alamut, #2)
  • The Message to the Planet
  • Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • Romanitas (Romanitas, #1)
  • Black Cat Bone