The Harlot's Daughter

The Harlot's Daughter

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews
14th century.

Her vulnerability made her dangerous...

Lady Solay's eyes met those of a hard-edged man. His implacable gaze sliched through her and, for an instant, she forgot everything else. A mistake. She had no time for emotion when so much depended on her finding favor at court.

Lord Justin Lamont couldn't look away from the late king's scandalous--illegitimate--daughter....more
Published December 1st 2008 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published October 1st 2007)

Misfit
Lady Joan (AKA as Solay) is the daughter of the infamous Alice Perrers, the former mistress of Edward III. Richard II is now King and very much at odds with Parliament over his frivolous spending habits. Solay comes to court to plea for funds for her now impoverished mother, and while there she uses her skills in astrology and tells Richard's fortune. Through one twist of fate or another she ends up hooking up with lawyer Justin Lamont, who works for the Council of Lords Appellant investigating...more
Wendy Hines
Based on historical events, this book is a quick and interesting read filled with intrigue, politics and romance. It does not disappoint for action.

Joan, or Solay as she is called, is the daughter of the ex-King and his mistress, or so she thinks. After the King is deposed and another takes her place, she moves with her mother and younger sister to the countryside, basically in exile from the populace. Running low on funds, her mother sends her to court to beg favor from the King that he might g...more
Boogenhagen
this is a medieval about the maybe illegitimate daughter of Edward III being made to go to Richard II court to flatter or seduce him into granting her mother an income to support them. Her mum was E3's mistress and amassed a huge fortune and estates but when E3 died, greedy husbands relations used the court system to strip them from her and they are nearly destitute. The underage king R2 has lost controll of his treasury and so he wants the h to spy on the opposition by marrying the H who is the...more
Elysium
I mainly read this because it has connection to Edward III (heroines mother ALice Perrers) and I knew it was big on romance side. I thought it was a nice surprise because I did enjoy it.

But still it was okay but couldn't see much chemistry between the characters. I thought the author tried to keep them apart too hard for no apparent reason.
Ana T.
Betrothed to a man she must betray.
She is the illegitimate daughter of a dead king, trying to regain a place at court.
He is the powerful lord determined to stop her.
And around every corner lurks treason that could threaten them both.

A medieval and another new to me author, I heard good things about it and decided to give it a try. The author mentions how the idea for this story came from King Edward III and Alice Perrer's daughters of which little is known.

Joan, better known as Lady Solay, come...more
Michele
I don't normally read historical romance but this older novel features the daughter of Alice Perrers (mistress to King Edward III) as a protagonist, so I thought it would be worth the read. And it was worth it. More of the history was set aside in favor of romance but that's the nature of the genre, I suppose.

There wasn't a lot of background given in the book, so if you don't know much about the reigns of Edward III and Richard II, take a few minutes and read up on them on Wikipedia just to get...more
Sarah Anderson
Sep 14, 2008 Sarah Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like a good story
Recommended to Sarah by: Blythe Gifford
Thank Goodness.

I met Blythe at a conference, and she was amazingly kind and friendly to me. And, being a wuss, that made me absolutely terrified to read her books because I was afraid I wouldn't like them.

And I loved this.

Solid characters - Justin and Solay - with real flaws who grow and change in realistic, believable ways. This is just a pleasant read easily couched in real events. At a few points, I got a little fed up with medieval English law, but it never really got overbearing.

I'm waiting...more
Cristina Contilli
Il re alzò le spalle. "E va bene, lady Solay, vi concedo da oggi fino alla fine della Quaresima per convincerlo del vostro amore." Il suo sguardo divenne minaccioso. "E a voi, Lamont, concedo lo stesso lasso di tempo per lasciarvi convincere."
La trama del romanzo è in fondo racchiusa in questa citazione e, trattandosi di un rosa, non c'è da dubitare del fatto che lady Solay riesca nel suo intento.
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
Having just read a story about Alice Perrers, mistress of Edward III - I was interested to read this light, romantic story about Joan, her daughter.
Little is known about the illegitimate children from Alice's relationship with the King - and I'm not sure that Joan was ever received back at court following her mother's fall from grace - but the story is an easy reading, slightly risque romp....
Cary
Cary added it
Jun 29, 2014
Chanchala
Chanchala marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Cassidy Wallace
Cassidy Wallace marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Ashley Cassidy
Ashley Cassidy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Sarah Gruwell
Sarah Gruwell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Gigi Shirakawa
Gigi Shirakawa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Sandi Recker
Sandi Recker marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
After many years in public relations, advertising, and marketing, Blythe Gifford started writing seriously after a corporate layoff. Ten years and one layoff later, she became an overnight success when she sold her Romance Writers of America Golden Heart finalist manuscript to Harlequin.
She has since written medieval romances featuring characters born on the wrong side of the royal blanket. Now,...more
More about Blythe Gifford...
In the Master's Bed His Border Bride Return of the Border Warrior Captive of the Border Lord Innocence Unveiled