Start by marking “Rising Son” as Want to Read:
Rising Son

Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Months ago, young Jake Sisko came upon a mysterious prophecy in the ruins of B'hala, one that told of a Son destined to enter the Celestial Temple of the Prophets and return home with a lost Herald. Certain that the ancient text was intended for him, Jake entered the wormhole to bring back his father, Captain Benjamin Sisko -- missing since his final, fateful confrontation ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Rising Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Son

Elen
Sep 14, 2015 Elen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite some flaws this was a really page turner, as evidenced by the fact that I burned through it in 3 hours when I should have been asleep. Oops. Could have used less of the almost bizarrely out of character first person memoirs (Jakes supposed to be a good writer and uh, well,) and some of the characters were criminally underutilized (Glessin could have been SO interesting but got all of five pages) but whatever. Still enjoyed it.
Greg Molumby
Apr 20, 2015 Greg Molumby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rising Son - B+

Well, it took me a while, and a few times to start it, but I finally finished Rising Son. I kind of pushed myself to get more into this book this weekend, I found it took me over the same way Avatar did. I mentioned in a previous post how I felt the first part of this novel was really slow. I mean we have Jake in a significantly damaged shuttle getting rescued by these people and the problem was at first there wasn't really anything interesting about those people. They were a retr
Tina
Sep 11, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was disappointed that this book focuses solely on Jake's experiences after he goes missing in Avatar, Book 2, but this book was fantastic. Even though I'm really eager to find out what's going on in the "present," with the Defiant and DS9, Jake's story is so compelling and the characters that populate it so well-written that I quickly got wrapped up in the book.

This book is a roller-coaster, and I was never quite sure how things were going to go. The plot was spectacular. Small hints
Karin
Dec 26, 2013 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I am deeply annoyed that this book ties up Avatar Book One of Two and Avatar Book Two but doesn't follow through to the very end.

There are some great things about this book:
* the Even Chance and her crew
* Jake when he wasn't doing first person journal entries that were so out of character style-wise that I could only tolerate them by imagining that they were written by Jackie, Jake's mirror-universe gender-flipped and 6 years younger self before she had trained herself out of oozing insecurity a
Derek Oberg
WAAAAYY back at the beginning of the DS9 relaunch Jake Sisko took off into the Wormhole with an ancient Bajoran prophecy and hopes of finding his father... And disappeared. This book is the story of what has been up with him for the last 10 books or so.

I really didn't like the first half of this book. He hooks up with a gang of space pirates salvaging stuff from the Dominion War and selling it for profit. It drove me nuts. It felt like Jake had been transported to the Cantina from Star Wars. It
Jack
Aug 30, 2012 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of Rising Son was a disappointment. I couldn't understand why Perry thought that we would want this story told from the viewpoint of a bunch of new characters in addition to Jake. This is Jake's story, and their perspective seemed redundant.

Fortunately, as new elements and characters were introduced in the second half, the storyline with those characters paid off, if not the time we spent in their heads. Jake's experience with them made his rite of passage genuinely convincing, al
Daniel
May 14, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
A long time ago, in a book far, far way, Jake got lost in the wormhole looking for Captain Sisko. This book ties up that story, that story and no other. The other characters are no where to be found, this is entirely a Jake book. That is, until Opaka comes back. This book is effectively split between two parts, the space pirate portion that flows like an episode of Firefly or Star Wars, and the traditional Star Trek exploration portion. This last part takes the Deep Space Nine relaunch down an u ...more
Angela
This follows the Avatar books, looking at what Jake got up to after he went through the wormhole. This is a good story, full of interesting characters. You really feel for Jake being manipulated by the prophets and the crew of the Even Odds are very interesting. A good read.
Shawn Payne
May 05, 2014 Shawn Payne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great adventure and a good way to deepen the character of Hake Sisko
Lea Carter
Jan 14, 2013 Lea Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this four stars because Perry did something pretty spectacular. Not only does this book take several unfinished plot lines from the series and provide (in my opinion) satisfactory endings, it also opens a can of worms of its own and successfully puts all the worms back by the end! Very impressed.
I also felt that Perry kept the overall feel of DS9, not sacrificing a character's personality or fudging events to "make it work." The aliens were a little strange, but as for the established ch
Dan
Oct 09, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rising Son does an amazing job of tying up the threads from the Avatar duology, while at the same time introducing new directions for the Deep Space Nine story to take. This was one of the most enjoyable reads of the Deep Space Nine "relaunch" so far, and I'm eager to continue following the story as it progresses. This re-read of the DS9 post-finale novels has been incredibly rewarding, and I look forward to revisiting later chapters in this story!

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2014/10
Kath
May 11, 2014 Kath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good follow on... Finally got into Jake's head. Raised some interesting questions about the creator of the wormhole and the Ascendants
Michael
May 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done - and this sroty folds nicely back into the main flow of the DS9 story, serving as a wrap up to the Mission Gamma series and bringing us back to life on the station in the Alpha Quadrant. This relaunch made it as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!
Weavre
Jul 23, 2009 Weavre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Weavre by: Michelle Cooper
Shelves: star-trek
Rising Son, which follows the excellent Mission Gamma series, did a pretty good job of following a tough act. If you've read Mission Gamma, grab this one and keep going!

I've also had a busy summer, and I'm feeling lazy; since this isn't a Vine book with a required review, I'll just say, "Loved it! Great summer read!" and be done with it. :)
Jose
Sep 22, 2012 Jose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Maybe it's just me but i didn't really clicked with the characters.
It's a good effort from the author to bring new blood, new races, new points of view,
but I didn't get into them that much.
Keep the entire book waiting for the end to catch up to the start.
Let's move on to the next...
Beth
Apr 07, 2013 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I love the fact that the DS9 books continue the story exactly from where the series left off. However, this book didn't seem to have a true center. It was like 3 stories put together and the segues didn't feel well done. However, it was reasonably interesting.
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Deep Space Nine book, continuing after the TV series ends. It's good to read these in order, but not totally required. I would still recommend it, though.
Kaotac
Jan 19, 2012 Kaotac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I considered this book to be the best of the DS9 Relaunch in terms of narative and characterization. Wonderful book, highly recommended.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the unexpected twist in prophecy. Welcome to the formula.
Benjamin Embry
Benjamin Embry rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Harena Atria
Harena Atria is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Vincent Hall
Vincent Hall marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Heather Hile
Heather Hile rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
kendell m york
kendell m york rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Inferno (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Millenium, #3)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
52051
Stephani Danelle Perry (credited as S. D. Perry in her works) is a novelist living in the Pacific Northwest. She is the daughter of writer Steve Perry.

S. D. Perry currently resides in Portland, Oregon, with her husband, Myk, her two excellent children, Cyrus and Dexter, and their dogs. She mostly writes tie-in novels based on works in the fantasy/science-fiction/horror genres, including Resident E
More about S.D. Perry...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Emissary