C.S. Lewis: A Biography

C.S. Lewis: A Biography

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This account of Lewis’s life was written by two men who knew him well and remember him warmly. Photographs from personal albums and the Lewis archives. Index.
Paperback, Revised, 320 pages
Published July 1st 1994 by Mariner Books (first published June 10th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about C.S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C.S. Lewis

Brian Robbins
Reading this after so long, and with more recent biographies of varying qualities in between, I was unclear what to expect when I was about to begin. Would it be like the joy of meeting a good friend after many years, or would it be a sore disappointment in the light of the more recent research I had read? I was delighted to find the former applied. This was a reunion with a best of friends.

Written by a close friend of Lewis & assisted by that master of the Lewis industry, Walter Hooper, it...more
Amanda
This biography made me fall in love with C.S. Lewis. He was such an amazing person.
M.T. Sullivan
I feel it only fair to preface my review with the fact that I went into reading the book knowing very little about the man or his work, other than the fact that he was a highly regarded novelist, whose work often had underlying Christian messages in the form of allegory. I had not read even one of his books, but simply admired the little I knew about the man and have similar aspirations/life goals for myself. Had I been more familiar with his works, I assume the book would have been at least som...more
Diana Glyer
An early biography of Lewis, this has the charm of reporting events without layers (and years) of interpretation.
Karen
"Surprised by Joy" C.S. Lewis' autobiography.

I assume that i enjoyed it because i knocked it out so fast. He admits that he didn't do a good job of writing an autobiography,in the sense of telling details about things the audience wants to hear, but instead just told us about the different schools he went to, and what books he read at what time in his life, and reserving a sentence or two for the death of his father.I'd have to agree with him on that. Yet, somehow intriguing.
Danielle Smith
I absolutley loved reading C.S. Lewis's biography. He is such an inspirational man and knowing his story just helps you to understand where all his stories come from. His life is so interesting to read about and I even cried when it talked about his death. I would definitley recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading any of his books. :)
Jossalyn
didnt have a strong opinion about this author until I read this book- had read the Narnia books as a kid, but wasnt taken by them much. Read this bio after having read Tolkein's bio- now for me Lewis is done. hateful wanna-be.
Kelly Belvis
I admire C.S. Lewis so much that I have read several biographies of him. I have enjoyed each one and felt that each biographer adds another dimension to the rich personality of this beloved author.
booklady
An insightful introduction written by former student and lifelong friend, Green and Hooper, Lewis' companion-secretary for the last nine years of his life.
Swantje
I don't have the revised edition, it's the original (mine is from 1976), but this one was the closed available edition to choose from.
Steve
This biography covers the field pretty well, but George Sayer's biography "Jack" makes better reading.
Kailey
A really wonderful book and full of delightful little tidbits. Written more like a story!
John
not interested should have stayed in the wardrobe
Skangie
Skangie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Niegel Mendoza
Niegel Mendoza marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sarah Hogman
Sarah Hogman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Stephanie Hoagland
Stephanie Hoagland marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Madeline Silvas
Madeline Silvas marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Taryn Rux
Taryn Rux marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Roger (Gilbert) Lancelyn Green was a British biographer and children's writer. He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Born in 1918 in Norwich, England, Green studied under C. S. Lewis at Merton College, Oxford, where he obtained a B.Litt. degree. He delivered the 1968 Andrew Lang lecture. Green lived in Cheshire...more
More about Roger Lancelyn Green...
The Adventures of Robin Hood King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors Tales of Ancient Egypt Myths of the Norsemen: Retold from the Old Norse Poems and Tales