Start by marking “With These Hands with These Hands with These Hands” as Want to Read:
With These Hands with These Hands with These Hands

With These Hands with These Hands with These Hands

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The timeless fiction of Louis L'Amour is both unforgettable and undeniably American, deftly capturing the heroic bravery and intrepid spirit that make this nation great. L'Amour 's legacy ofwork remains unparalleled, setting a standard of excellence that few other writers have matched. Now With These Hands pulls together some of L'Amour's very best work--eleven newly redis ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam (first published 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about With These Hands with These Hands with These Hands

Jason
Proposed alternate title: With These Hands I'm Going to Punch Your Face. I like L'Amour, but I think he thrives in a long-form context, not in short stories.
Stephanie Ricker
Just finished With These Hands, a collection of stories also by L’Amour. The book opens with a rough-and-tumble boxing story. (I’ll make a confession right now: what little I know of boxing and street fighting, I learned as a very young girl from L’Amour. “Haymaker” and “Liverpool kiss”are probably not in the vocabulary of most eight-year-olds.) I like L’Amours books because in spite of themselves they feel plausible, probably because L’Amour drew from personal experience and his biography reads ...more
Tee Jay
This was the first Louis L'Amour book I read and I have to say that With These Hands is a perfect introduction to the writings of L'Amour. Action-packed, each story in this collection of shorts really delivers the goods with a whole lot of punches and crime.
Yes it is true that the prose may leave something to be desired for those more inclined to reading "Literature." But I've read a lot of capital L literature and sometimes it's good to read some honest-to-goodness, slam-bang prose. It's a bre
Karen
It's hard to beat anything by Louis L'Amour--even though his style is more "old time" narrator, the plots are always full of action and the "Westerns," especially, are great. This book is a bit different than his novels because it is one of four books that hold collections of his short stories. It's the last book of the four book set and so I ended up reading some of the "final" stories about a couple of his "heroes" (Turk Madden and Pongo Jim Mayo, for examples). All of the stories are exciting ...more
Greg
May 14, 2011 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Louis L'Amour fans
With These Hands is the last in a series of four collections of short stories written by Louis L’Amour in his early days. I belive it was compiled by his son, Beau. The included stories are clearly less polished than what he wrote in subsequent years, but you can see the unmistakable L’Amour style in them, and they carry the same themes of honor, courage, loyalty, good vs. evil, and unashamed manhood that characterized his later novels. They are a mix of war stories, westerns, and boxing tales, ...more
Jack
Fun short stories by L'Amour. Several about boxing, some private eye and WWII stuff. Not the usual Western fare, but very enjoyable.
Colleen
Great cross section of Louis L'Amour's writings, though far too much "fight" description. Typical L'Amour writings, compiled by his heirs.
Dale
Published in 2002 by Random House Audio
Read by Keith Carradine
Duration: Approximately 3 hours.

There are 11 stories in the original printed book version of this book but this audio version contains only three unabridged stories from the book: "With These Hands", "Dream Fighter" and "Voyage to Tobalai".

These re-reprinted short stories (originally they appeared in pulp fiction magazines) are read by veteran actor Keith Carradine who does a great job, especially with...

Read more at: http://dwdsrevie
Charles
Another collection of L'Amour's early stories, including a couple of westerns, quite a few boxing tales, and some far east adventures. Generally it was a pretty good collection, I thought. I enjoyed his boxing stories more than the Far East adventures. I don't think these early works live up to his later western novels but they are not bad and if you are already a L'Amour fan you'll probably enjoy them. If you haven't read L'Amour, I wouldn't start with these short stories.
Erin
My favorite Louis L'Amour books are ones that deal with the old West. Most of these stories are set in more modern settings and I simply don't like them as much. This is a collection of stories published after his death. The collections he published while he was alive included tidbits of Western history and he usually provided some link between the history and the story. This collection doesn't include that, which is too bad.
Liscalisca
This book was thoroughly enjoyable as a Louis L'Amour short story collection book. I love Louis L'Amour books, and this one was no different. It was exciting, interesting, and eachs tory was new and different. I did not care as much for the boxing stories as much and would have preferred it if the book had just contained suspense and adventure stories, but I had fun reading, and that's what it's all about.
Riley Worwood
Man this is an awesome collection of some of Louis incredible work. When I bought the book I didn't realize that it was a collection of short stories about 15-20pgs long. Each story is gripping and action packed the entire way through. Great book to read if you dont have a lot of time to spend on one story.
Fredrick Danysh
Based on L'Amour's own short boxing career, this collection of eleven short stories has a boxing motif ranging from the American West, to Asia, and twentieth century American detectives. Not quite up to his westerns, but good.
Josh Zimmerman
My first and last book from this author. I tried to like it and look beyond areas that bothered me, but I couldn't find it to be worth the time.
Sandra Munger
An nice collection of his short stories. There are a few that I don't care for but I'm not a big fan of boxing
Mike Savage
Manly man book. Lots of fisticuffs not many similes.
Roxann
This is a good compilation of short stories.
Jamie
Fun little book of adventures.
Dave Bretheim
Dave Bretheim marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Nathaniel Day
Nathaniel Day is currently reading it
May 06, 2015
Daryl Atwood
Daryl Atwood marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Val
Val added it
Apr 25, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Apr 16, 2015
  • Lettre à un otage
  • Whatchagot Stew: A Memoir of an Idaho Childhood, with Recipes and Commentaries
  • Breakfast on Mars and 37 Other Delectable Essays
  • The Small Boat of Great Sorrows
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Tales of O. Henry
  • The Dracula Book of Great Vampire Stories
  • Carry the Wind
  • The Sports Pages (Guys Read, #3)
  • The Big Book of Swashbuckling Adventure: Classic Tales of Dashing Heroes, Dastardly Villains, and Daring Escapes
  • The Barefoot Running Book: A Practical Guide to the Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running
  • The Best Philippine Short Stories of the Twentieth Century
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Betty Zane
  • The Greatest Gift: A Christmas Tale
  • Painted Devils: Strange Stories
  • Sundance: A Novel
  • Pelagia and the Red Rooster (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #3)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods