Start by marking “Penny and the Punctuation Bee” as Want to Read:
Penny and the Punctuation Bee

Penny and the Punctuation Bee

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Elsie, and exclamation point, announces loudly that she's sure she'll win the school Punctuation Bee. After all, an exclamation point has won the last three years. But Penny, a period, and her friend, Quentin, a question mark, decide to practice and practice. More than anything, Penny wants to beat Elsie, who brags way too much!
The bee begins and one by one, the punctuati
Published March 1st 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Penny and the Punctuation Bee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny and the Punctuation Bee

Sara Lemonade
Nov 17, 2014 Sara Lemonade rated it it was amazing
The main characters are a period, a question mark and an exclamation point. All things I know. But this is the first time I ever knew about a dash, a hyphen, a comma and quotation marks. These are all cool. My 4-year-old brother loved reading this too.

PS. My dad didn't get the logic of the main story - the characters are in a competition where every sentence has to have an example of the punctuation they are named for. Prior to the beginning of the competition, the question mark only asks questi
Andy
Mar 07, 2016 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My son and I enjoyed reading this book together a few times. I even caught him reading it on his own. He liked the bold, vibrant colors of the punctuation marks. Because of his reaction to the illustrations, I suspect this book will be a hit with any child who likes to line up matching items, or who likes to see one of every color represented in whatever they're playing with.

This story does a good job of helping children understand how punctuation marks differ by showing the characters use them
Vika
Apr 14, 2010 Vika rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
This was an easy book to read.(obviously for a kid) But what I don't understand is, how do you say a sentence with an asterisk? :S
Jason
Jul 22, 2014 Jason rated it it was ok
I bet asterisks never win the punctuation bee.
Caitlin Sanocki
Feb 16, 2016 Caitlin Sanocki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts
This book is a fun way to teach about punctuation. Children can learn about a variety of punctuation symbols using this book. It is a appropriate for children who are at a 1st grade through 4th grade reading level.
Allison DeFrees
This would be a good book for reviewing punctuation marks (. , ? !) in younger elementary levels.
Erica
Oct 01, 2010 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a fun way to introduce students to punctuation. Moira Rose Donohue's twist on the spelling bee by having a punctuation bee is fun and inventive. I cannot wait to share this book in my Children's Literature class.
Moira
Feb 18, 2008 Moira added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
IT'S HERE!!!!! And Kirkus liked it - phew. I hope others enjoy it as well. I tried in this book, as in Alfie, to breathe some life into punctuation. Let me know if I succeeded.
Kathy Erskine
Mar 26, 2008 Kathy Erskine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this is just as cute as ALFIE THE APOSTROPHE! I love it! Witty writing and peppy pictures. A must have!
Marianne
May 09, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it
Very cute book. Offers some language skills to children in an entertaining way.
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Jenessa Tippetts
Jenessa Tippetts marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Eirian Jones
Eirian Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Suzi Sherman
Suzi Sherman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Jeannene Egan
Jeannene Egan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Orn Itsathitphaisarn
Orn Itsathitphaisarn marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Rosalie
Rosalie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Janice Polston
Janice Polston marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Alexander Masterson
Alexander Masterson rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Carol Poulson
Carol Poulson marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Jeanine Santiago
Jeanine Santiago marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
C.M
C.M rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I love old movies, tap dancing and opera. And OK, I love grammar and punctuation, too! I wrote ALFIE THE APOSTROPHE to let others in on the secret personalities of punctuation marks. Did you know that question marks love riddles and jokes? And exclamation points? Cheerleaders! You've probably already noticed that quotation marks are often filled with hot air. Albert Whitman & Co. was brave eno ...more
More about Moira Rose Donohue...