Start by marking “Little Town on the Prairie (Little House, #7)” as Want to Read:
Little Town on the Prairie (Little House, #7)

Little Town on the Prairie (Little House #7)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  60,166 Ratings  ·  696 Reviews
Spring on the prairie brings socials, dances, and "Literaries". There is also work to be done. Laura spends many hours each day sewing shirts to help send Mary to a college for the blind. But, in the evenings, Laura makes time for a new caller, Almanzo Wilder.
Published October 14th 1953 by Harper & Row, Publishers (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Little Town on the Prairie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Town on the Prairie

Gathering Blue by Lois LowryUprising by Margaret Peterson HaddixHomeless Bird by Gloria WhelanA Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceNorth and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Garment and Textile
7th out of 136 books — 60 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Blue Castle by L.M. MontgomeryPersuasion by Jane Austen
Favorite Female Characters
13th out of 64 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Feb 28, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About two years ago I started rereading the Little House books. It started as a whim after visiting Minnesota and driving by one of the places where Laura Ingalls used to live. I had read these books with my mother when I was a child, and I grew up with the popular TV show based on the series, so there was a hefty dose of nostalgia whenever I reread one of the books.

Now that nostalgia has become even more powerful, because book seven, Little Town on the Prairie, was the first one that I read alo
Elizabeth

I kind of don’t know how to deal with the casual racism in these books. The minstrel show in the chapter “The Madcap Days” appals me as an adult. As a child, living in Jamaica, sharing homes with Jamaican families and running in a pack with Jamaican kids, I actually didn’t know what the “darkies” of this chapter were supposed to be. Clearly they were men making music and singing, their faces disguised with black polish. I neither knew nor would have understood what they were supposed to be. They
Philip
Mar 01, 2014 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor and Gwennie are both here, but before we begin, I want to tell MY favorite part... and I have to write it quietly because it's not quite appropriate.

Laura had just started working in town, when she saw these two men get kicked out of a bar. They were sloshed, and singing an old church hymn. They went through the town punching holes in the screens of local businesses, and Laura thought this was funny.

Laura got in trouble when she got home for thinking this was funny, but the last line of
Michelle
Nov 13, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I flew through this one, maybe because I was so happy not to be stuck in a blizzard anymore, freezing and starving. Things are really looking up for the Ingalls family--they get a kitten, Mary finally goes off to college, there are parties in town, and by the end of the book, Laura gets her teaching certificate. The most extravagant thing is when Pa allows Laura to buy name cards (they're the latest thing and cost 25 cents!). I actually squealed, "Oh, Pa! Letting Laura buy name cards!", elicitin ...more
Nova
Oct 20, 2007 Nova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I loved the sense of re-birth. After reading The Long Winter, it felt great to be warm and light-hearted again.
Jan 01, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Laina
I squeezed one more book into 2012! The characters are the same as in all the books, of course--Pa is the greatest and a hero among men, Ma is uptight and kind of racist, Laura is rebellious but good at heart. Everything is described in such loving detail. I do feel like I should have reread The Long Winter before this one because the relative plenty in LTotP is in such contrast to those poor people starving around the stove.

Notes of note:

- I liked the conversation when Mary admitted that she w
Whitney
This book did a pretty good convincing me that living in a little town on the prairie would be the WORST. But seriously, when you are so starved for entertainment that you look forward to the town spelling bee and a minstrel show so much that you shake with excitement? That's not a good life.
Maria Elmvang
Jan 26, 2010 Maria Elmvang rated it really liked it
This is one of my favourite LIW books. I'm fascinated by the descriptions of life in town. Two things that struck me in particular were a) how modestly they lived and b) how quickly they had to grow up. Just think of Laura, going off to teach at age 15. I was no where near mature enough for that at that age. And they all seemed so selfless too - always passing on things to each other, because they didn't need them themselves, and thought the other person would like them more.
Jaime
When I was younger, I distinctly remember not enjoying the later books in this series as well because Laura grew up and the events weren't as exciting. But now, as I re-read it, I eagerly keep reading and lavish over the events of her young adult years. I love these books, every single one, every age, aspect, and adventure of Laura's life. It's just so exciting.

Plus I embarrass myself by my reaction to Almanzo's appearances. What a dreamboat! :)
Jaymie Starr
I am currently reading this again with our little girls and am so impressed by the foundations of our nation. It takes me back to a time that is rarely seen in our day and age. When people really and truly understood what it meant to be free and the sacrifices made so we have freedom today. When Laura & her Pa and sister Carrie go to a 4th of July celebration for their new little town- they actually recite the Declaration of Independance by heart and everyone knows it by heart including Laur ...more
Tracy
With this book, the focus of the series shifts from the Ingalls as a family to Laura as a young woman. She is 13 when the book begins and 15 when it ends. This book picks up right where The Long Winter ended, and even though the Ingalls have moved back to their claim for the summer, Laura is walking back into town every morning to sew shirts at a drygoods store to earn money to help send Mary to college.

A lot happens in this story. After several books of hoping for it, Mary finally does leave f
Sara
I think this is my favorite book in this series yet. After the long, cold winter, Laura and her family are settling back into life at the homestead. Laura worries about Mary being able to attend college and helps the family save by taking a job sewing, there are "literaries" in the winter evenings that have everything from spelling contents to songs, and Laura is struggling to work toward being a teacher while fighting with her rival Nellie Oleson, who's moved to the same town.

The writing in thi
Luann
Why, why, why did I never read this when I was younger? Well, I missed out! But I'm VERY happy to have read this now. I was enthralled with the classroom drama that happened while Miss Wilder (Almanzo's sister) was teaching school. I sure sympathized with her! Although she brought a lot of her troubles upon herself with her "we will all be happy and friends all the time" style of classroom management.

This is just a wonderful continuation of the story told in The Long Winter. And even though it i
Melody
Oct 08, 2010 Melody rated it liked it
Javiera Verdugo Toro
I read these books a million times when I was a kid. Re-reading them now, as an adult, I realize how Wilder's style changes as she ages in the books. I didn't pick up on this as a kid, and it is such a nice surprise now. Favorite quote (Almanzo Wilder is walking her home for the first time, and there's an awkward silence): "To her complete surprise, she heard her own voice...".

I took away one star for super rampant racism (blackies, and savages, and inmigrants... Oh my!). Totally understandable
Ashley
Nov 24, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably tied for my favorite book in the series! I love how we get to see the normal things the Ingalls do. I have a little bit of a problem with how fast the book moves. I was confused about Laura's age most of the time. But overall, I just love it to pieces! And then when Almanzo just appears!! I also loved the literaries and socials and all the events! I sympathized with Laura both in her being bored of studying and in feeling guilty for not spending enough time studying! It's such a ...more
Tahsina Syeda
Mar 24, 2016 Tahsina Syeda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
এই বইতে ছাপার ভুল কম।
Juliette Molina
Jan 08, 2015 Juliette Molina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazingly descriptive and really shows you what it was like to live at that time, i believe it was 19 something. It shows how pests can eat crops and how winters can be like a roller coaster, one winter blizzards and below freezing and the next hardley any snow and sunny even when you are prepared for a nother blizzard cold year. I remember at one particular part it got a little TO descriptive and got boring enough that all i wanted to do was be done with the book, but yet, some pa ...more
Lauren W
Little Town on the Prairie is about four little girls named Laura, Mary, Carrie, and Grace.The book goes with the characters over a period of two years. In the two years it mostly talks about how the girls play, the obstacles they run into and mostly what they do and their life. In the book Mary holds a lot of the things they see because she is blind. In the book it talks about how Carrie is kind of a quiet girl and Laura feels she needs to protect her.
Little Town on the Prairie was an ok book
Shakaela
Dec 31, 2014 Shakaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember the day I got this book clearly. I was eight years old on a trip to Wellington with my parents and at a bookstore I was allowed to choose one book. My parents thought I should choose the first book in the series when I chose "Little Town on the Prairie", but I insisted this be the one. My reason for choosing the seventh book in the series was simply because of the kitten on the front.

I have loved this book so much and read it over and over since being eight years old. It is beautifull
Elyssa
Jan 10, 2009 Elyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
i love the laura ingills series too !
Sarah T
My second stop on my Little House reread. It's funny the things I pick up on now that I missed when I was little and reading these. Back then I was more focused on Laura. Now it's really interesting to see this bunch of books (Silver Lake onward) as the story of how the town grew up from nothing. In The Long Winter there were about a hundred people wintering there through the blizzards. In this book, there's a church and stores and crowds.

- Almanzo is stated to be 19 in the previous book when L
Bonnie
Book seven of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. It is finally spring after a long and hard winter, Laura gets her first job in order to earn money for her blind sister Mary to go to a school for the blind. When she is let go in the summer, the rest of Laura's family bands together to earn more money for Mary, and are finally able to get the balance needed to send her away.

The coming fall after, Laura and her sisters attend school, where things turn hectic as a former nemesis of Laura tur
Carin
I always read the last 4 Little House books right in a row. Because mostly I love the narrative of Laura and Almanzo falling in love, which is dragged out across all four books. This book is truly momentous. First, Mary goes away to college. Which I was shocked to notice is for 6 years, not 4 (also, she's only 16 when she leaves if I'm doing my math right.) This was the first time it occurred to Laura that a part of growing up is leaving home, which she suddenly swears she's never going to do. A ...more
sabisteb
Sep 16, 2011 sabisteb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buch, classics
De Smet, South Dakota, Sommer 1881. Kaum ist der lange Winter überstanden, zieht Familie Ingalls wieder in ihr provisorisches Heim auf der Farmparzelle, denn sie müssen 7 Monate des Jahres auf dieser leben, wenn sie sie vom Staat erhalten wollen. Wie immer ist das Geld knapp, dennoch wollen Ma und Pa Mary auf ein College für Blinde schicken. Da heißt es zusammenhalten, wenn man das Geld für 7 Jahre College zusammenbringen will. Laura nimmt einen Job als Hilfsnäherin in der Stadt an für $1,5/Woch ...more
Sarah Beneke
Dec 16, 2015 Sarah Beneke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this one as the long winter is over and the Ingalls family and everyone else in the town is MUCH more comfortable! It did make me sad when Mary goes away to school - I remember how sad I was when my sisters would leave for school. My son enjoyed this one a lot as well - he enjoyed hearing a lot more about Laura's schooling. He also liked the parts about Almanzo escorting Laura home and Nellie Olsen making another appearance in this book.
Meghan Moloney
May 19, 2011 Meghan Moloney rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This might actually be my favorite of all the Little House books. Somehow I missed out on this one as a kid, and skipped straight from The Long Winter to These Happy Golden Years. But Little Town really fills in some of the blanks for me - how Laura went from an innocent little girl to a grown woman teaching school and engaged. This book is by far the most revealing about Laura's "rebellious" (relatively speaking) teen years, and is the only book in the series that mentions things like corsets a ...more
Rosie
Nov 04, 2014 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I dislike Nellie Oleson more than Laura. It was disappointing to see her reappear in De Smet, but she is more of a pitiful character in this book than the last one in which she appeared. Miss Wilder provides a great example of how not to run a classroom, and I can't help but compare the episode of Willie Oleson to characteristics one finds in Autism, especially regression. The descriptions of the women's dresses are wonderful, and it is a great example of how even small town rural Americ ...more
Jess
I love the last two books for the romance and for the growing up for both Laura and De Smet. And this book is just happy.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it
Another cute and quick read. Laura is fifteen so the tone is more mature, but I still enjoyed it. I liked reading again about Nellie being back and how she is now a country girl! Also, I liked reading about the beginning of Laura and Almanzo's relationship.
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • The Road from Roxbury (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #3)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)

“There is no comfort anywhere for anyone who dreads to go home.” 136 likes
“This earthly life is a battle,' said Ma. 'If it isn't one thing to contend with, it's another. It always has been so, and it always will be. The sooner you make up your mind to that, the better off you are, and more thankful for your pleasures.” 37 likes