John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)

John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (Classics of Western Spirituality)

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  18 reviews
John Climacus (c. 579-649) was abbot of the monastery of Catherine on Mount Sinai. His Ladder was the most widely used handbook of the ascetical life in the ancient Greek Church.
Published December 1st 1988 by Paulist Press (first published 1979)

Darrick Taylor
One of the most revered works of theology and devotion in the Eastern Christian world, it is read in monasteries in the Eastern Churches every Lent, and is one of the most compelling, beautiful works of its type I have ever read. St. John takes you into the heart of the Christian mystery, and despite the fact that it was written for monks, its wisdom is really for everyone.
Nicholas
A wonderful read during the Lenten season as John Climacus guides monastics on their ladder of theosis.
Samantha Penrose
Nov 18, 2010 Samantha Penrose rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: R.K.
ugh. It's taking me sooooooo loooooonnnngggg to read this --- BECAUSE IT SUCKS SO HARD!
This man's philosophy on how to live your life (if you are a monk that it) is the antithesis of everything I believe! He promotes good intentioned shaming, he is down on family, he advocates silence and detatchment...

Excerpt;
The man who really loves the Lord, who has made a real effort to find the future Kingdom, who is really pained by his sins, who is really mindful of eternal torment and judgement, who rea...more
William white
This cannot be titles or surnamed a book..
This work is a way of Life...meant for monks,but as Christians
are we not all to live as religious?
In an upward ascent i read this daily to instill what is not or to ask for perfection
in something that has been hardened by sin...
St John Climacus i feel put his life into this work as it is one of few he wrote.
I HIGHLY SUGGEST THIS especially for all Christians

Daily reading
Scott
Meant for monks, it is nonetheless full of helpful advice and encouragement for anyone on the path. A true masterpiece that deserves to be read many times. The further you progress the more it will mean to you - and I would dare even suggest that the more this work rings true and speaks to you, the further along you are. At any stage, though, this is profitable reading!
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
PHENOMENAL! If one wants to truly dissect ones' sins and see how our fallen humanity inclines itself, I would highly suggest this book. Metropolitan Timothy Ware has awesome insight in his preface as well. In the Orthodox Church, this is the second Bible for monastics. Get this book.

Forgive me a sinner,

Lawson
Charles
One of the greatest spiritual manuals out side the holy Scriptures, read with care, remember this was written for monks not lay people but the greatest of treasure may be detected from these pages.
Christopher Neill
Apr 09, 2013 Christopher Neill added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Monastics and people reading under guidence
This is a great book but frankly not recommended for idle study. It is aimed at monastics in the context of Orthodox living, it is not a western self-help manual.
Eric
Sep 16, 2008 Eric marked it as to-read
I'm actually reading a version by the monks of Holy Transfiguration Monastery (Boston, 1979).
Josiah
A beautiful book produced by the Holy Transfiguration Monastery. I read it bit by bit. To appreciate the book you need to have an understanding of Orthodoxy and the monastic setting in which the book was produced, that is not to say it doesn't have immense value to lay people and even to non-Orthodox. This book is one of the classics. It also happens to be the first book published in the United States.
David Withun
A classic of Orthodox Christian spirituality, The Ladder is essential reading for anyone interested in spirituality, mysticism, or theology, particularly within the Western tradition. I found this version particularly good as the introduction itself is terrific reading on the subject.
Oliver Bateman
Parts of this rather dated manuscript are inapplicable to secular life, but it contains many inspired passages. Useful for those of us who seek to justify our lonely, ascetic existences.
NormaCenva
Mar 06, 2013 NormaCenva rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Orthodox Christians, priests, pastors, deacons, preachers
there will never be a time when this book will become boring to me! I try to read it at least once a year, not always possible but even reading bits of it is very beneficial.
Brian Glass
This book is of such great value that to review it would be audacious to say the least. It would be like a mouse trying to evaluate Shakespeare.
Libby
In a study group for this book. Proceeding at less than 1 chapter per week. This will take some time.
Stranniki
after many years still cannot get past step 1
Derek
Phenomenal.
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kester
Kester is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Ben
Ben is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Ioghi Ber
Ioghi Ber marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
Aphram
Aphram marked it as to-read
Frankie
Frankie marked it as to-read
Nathan Haydon
Nathan Haydon is currently reading it
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
  • The Philokalia, Volume 2: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • The Life of Moses
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Beginning to Pray
  • The Orthodox Study Bible: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Orthodox Church
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • Everyday Saints and Other Stories
  • Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church
  • Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Pseudo-Dionysius: The Complete Works
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • On the Incarnation
Saint John Climacus (Greek: Ἰωάννης τῆς Κλίμακος), also known as John of the Ladder, John Scholasticus and John Sinaites, was a 7th-century Christian monk at the monastery on Mount Sinai. He is revered as a saint by the Roman Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches.

We have almost no information about John's life. There is in existence an ancient Vita, Life of th...more
More about John Climacus...
Ladder of Divine Ascent [Ancient Greek Edition] A Short Treatise of the Ladder of Divine Ascent Steps to Paradise (Desert Fathers)

“Fight to escape from your own cleverness. If you do, then you will find salvation and uprightness through Jesus Christ our Lord.” 1 likes