Start by marking “The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody” as Want to Read:
The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
Preview

The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  90 reviews
We all know the story of the "selfless" tree that gave all she had just to make sure a young boy was "happy".
Snore. This is a different tree. This is a different boy. This is a very different book.
The Taking Tree is not so happy when the boy takes her twigs to pick on his sister, or takes her apples to sell for college (she's an oak tree for goodness sake), or when he cu
Published October 19th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Taking Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taking Tree

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery MonsenThe Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward GoreyDear Old Friends by Najeev Raj NadarajahFlamingo and Ogre by Najeev Raj Nadarajah
Childrens Books: not safe for kids!
7th out of 30 books — 63 voters
A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam GidwitzThe Book of Lost Things by John ConnollyMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonHappily Ever After by Edward H. CarpenterRed Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Dark Fairy Tales
20th out of 51 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
so i was waiting until the gods of media mail delivered david's (yes, belated) birthday copy of this book to him before i wrote my own review. i know my reviews are a secret joy to him, and i didn't want his view of the book to be tainted by my keen critical eye. i also figured it was his duty to review it first.

you see, david's review of the giving tree is quite legendary, don't you know? like, golden age legendary. much like the aurora borealis, it can only be seen on certain nights, when the
Mark
At present my reading has slowed down ever so slightly as i foolishly began to watch the box set of 'The Wire' and am fast becoming addicted. However i am trying to restrain myself and just watch a couple of episodes at a time. I find I am using the remote a good deal as I pause and rewind to try to fathom what on Gods own earth half of the characters are saying.

If this tree had a role in the series she would, as I note americans like to say, kick ass; whether on the side of the cops or the dru
Nick
While I am not a huge fan of The Giving Tree, and thought that it was one of Silverstein's lesser books in many ways, I cannot in good conscience support such a primitive and mean-spirited parody as this. The final straw was the "author notes" parodying Silverstein's life and career. Shel Silverstein was a very creative man in a variety of fields. The person who wrote this parody isn't, based on the results here.
There are adults and children who will find this book to be funny, mostly those who
Lisa Vegan
Oct 20, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults who intensely dislike, or at least don’t like, the classic book The Giving Tree
This quirky parody book went from really entertaining for me, a reader who hates The Giving Tree (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) with a passion, to okay maybe this is too topical, dark, dumb, black, with perhaps unwarranted or misplaced bias, etc. to the last pages and especially the last page, which was brilliant and to which I say touché! Touché particularly as regards to me, someone who hates the original book but who has a good 10,000 books in her apartment.

This picture book has a
Monica!
Originally, this book was going to get a solid three stars. It's ridiculous, yes, but so is The Giving Tree. And while this oak tree still gives pretty much everything to the boy, she does so under duress--or is that worse than the original, because at least in the original she thought she loved the boy, whereas here it's like... abusive...? Regardless! I laughed a couple of times, so it was going to get a medium-high review.

Then I read the back flap, where they basically tear Shel Silverstein t
Brixton
For those who loved The Giving Tree, do not fear. As with most parody, this will only be "funny" for a short period of time; there is much in here that, if it isn't already (and I say it is), will become dated very quickly (eg, a reference to the US 2008 election).

It seems to be a trend nowadays to trash Shel Silverstein's classic children's book (hence we just so happen to now have The Taking Tree, to squeeze a few bucks out of that, no doubt). I have the impression it's more cool to assume ki
Amara
Let me start with an anecdote.

When I was a junior in high school, I took a Creative Writing class with a friend of mine. Toward the end of the year, the douchebag teacher assigned us a project; we were each to choose a favorite author and one of his or her books to do a short presentation on. (What that has to do with Creative Writing, I don't know. It seems like our time would have been better suited to, you know, writing.) A sophomore acquaintance in the class chose to do her presentation on T
Matthew
Thank goodness someone finally got around to taking The Giving Tree down a peg or two. I can't remember a book that has been so widely loved and so severely misread in the history of literature. Everyone loves the fact that this boy takes and takes and takes some more and the tree so graciously, so lovingly, so unthinkingly just gives every last piece of itself to the boy to give him a little happiness. Who taught the boy the value of respect for others? No one. And yet everyone I ask is just in ...more
Kathrina
Oh my god, I love this book. With all due respect, I also love Silverstein, but mostly because he can be so cynical and cantankerous but still appeal to a children's sensibilities. But here we have a cynical take on one of Silverstein's more sentimental works, and I just can't get enough of it. Tree, I feel your pain. Tucker Max fans, get the f*ck out of my bookstore. But buy this first.
Melody
Feb 05, 2011 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Darsa
Really, really funny. Especially if you, like me, hate The Giving Tree with all your heart.

It's a one-trick-pony, this book, and it only exists to mock Uncle Shelby. The end is brilliant. The illustrations are adequate but not stellar.

Worth reading if you're a cranky old curmudgeon.
Emily
"He told the tree, 'I want to go away to college, but I have no money to pay for it. Will you give me your apples?'
The tree said, 'I'm an oak tree. I can't grow apples. When have you ever seen me grow apples?' ... 'Is there even a college that takes apples as tuition?' asked the tree."
Michael
Okay, even if you love The Giving Tree, admit it. That selfish, snot-nosed kid really ticks you off. Gimme this, gimme that. I want apples, I want wood, la la la. Don't you sometimes just wish that tree would...
Kim T.
Apr 23, 2014 Kim T. added it
The TakingTree is a parody, but I must say that I didn't like it one little bit. Not a bit! The story was ridiculous and horrible. The end.
Marga
Dec 08, 2012 Marga rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No. No one in a million years.
Originally posted at WorthlessWords.

Before I start my review I want to inform you of important stuff to understand why I disliked this book.

I read Children's books for two reasons; (1) for my future students when I graduate from college and become a teacher and (2) because I'm a child-at-heart and I love the lessons I learn from them.

And... I LOVE The Giving Tree. LOVE.

I read this out of curiosity. I saw it while browsing for Children's books or books in general to read at a bookstore near schoo
Arminzerella
Julia Reynolds
This book won’t count toward my 100 books in 2013, as it’s a picture book and I apparently adore imposing arbitrary restrictions on myself when I’m already stressed. But I found it today in the Center for Children’s Books and got to bring it home…and may gift it to a cute family I know.

I ADORE this book. Anyone who has read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein knows the timeless classic tale of a selfless tree who continues to give to the boy throughout his life, even though he keeps on coming ba
Sari
The Giving Tree has creeped me out my entire life. I found The Taking Tree at the library while I was browsing with my four year old and was glad there wasn't anyone else around because I laughed my head off! Not sure it should have been in picture books, but it was a terrific book, I loved it!
Catherine
For anyone who is bothered by the greedy kid in The Giving Tree, this book is for you. I laughed out loud at parts of it.
Lucia
I can not believe that Simon&Schuster put their name on this book and might be even remotely selling it to children. It certainly is a selfish parody, and perhaps the tree does win in the end. Do we really know? I am not one to deny the public access to books, but I'm not sure who the author knew to get this one published in the first place. Crazy? Yep. Freaky? Absolutely! Should it be on shelves in the children's department of any library? Probably not.

And I keep looking at the book jacket
Rachel
The idea was funnier than the actual book.
If the parody were to be more literal, the child would have been a giver.
But in this book, the boy isn't just selfish, but also a criminal. And the tree hates him.

Elaine
A parody of the book "The Giving Tree". Started out funny, but went on a bit too much. I didn't care for the ending. Would not recommend for young children, the book did not teach behavior you would like to encourage!
Aura
We stumbled upon this in the bookstore the other day and, despite the book's charming and various hooks - e.g. greetings, hilarious title! - we are somewhat sheepish to report that it was actually "by Shrill Travesty" that nudged us into picking it up. What can we say?? We are a sucker for ridiculous pseudonyms, apparently.

At this point the classic original story, Silverstein's The Giving Tree, is but a faded, disgruntled memory in our brain, but that does not mute the effect of the parody. 'Ti
Katie
Mar 14, 2014 Katie added it
this was a fantastic read for a Friday afternoon. I DO NOT like The Giving Tree ... the satire in this book was perfect
Dave
Simply hysterical - a great companion book to The Giving Tree - loved it!!! Wish there were 6 stars.
drowningmermaid
Yes. It is what you think. And I found it hilarious, even though I liked "The Giving Tree" fine.

"The Giving Tree" is sort of the "Twilight" of children's books. Only with better prose. You either like it, because it is syrupy and sweet and moving in a sort of demented way. Or you loathe and despise it for being a parable espousing the old lie: just be nice, keep sweet, and if only your dreams are myopic enough, they shall all come true.

This sentiment deserves to be parodied. And there ought to
Shannon
A great book for teaching parody and satire to kids (or selfishness).
Bob
Interesting. Somewhat fun. OK for a parady.
Angie
  • I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Foxy and Egg
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs
  • Frankenstein
  • That's Not Your Mommy Anymore: A Zombie Tale
  • A Really Super Book about Squirrels
  • Something at the Window Is Scratching: Children's Tales for Disturbed Children
  • Curious George Plants A Tree
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?