Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 (The Story of Saiunkoku #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,142 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne’er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei enters the p
Published November 2nd 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1

Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Volume 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino
Best Josei - Manga
33rd out of 102 books — 281 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Best Romance Manga
27th out of 162 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Estara
Of course I was biased to like this version of one of my favourite female empowering animes - which sadly got too little PR in the West due to Pioneer/Geneon suddenly vanishing from the anime publishers list in the US. I was quite grateful that Funimation finished the first series, but the second series was only available in fansubs - and I haven't heard of this world developing a strong fanbase, so I hardly think we shall get it in English.

There are many powerful shoujo heroines, but here you h
Sinai C.
Ok, after rereading it for a second time...I'm ready to be nicer.
Again, it deserves it's two stars for drawings because it was honestly such a beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL thing to read. The pictures were so elegant and pretty. The illustrator really has so much talent in this area. The men are pretty, the women are pretty, and everything is just...perfect.
Now, after reading it again, I get a lot more of what the plot is supposed to be about. I'm not half as confused as I was before! So bas
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Shurei enters the palace as Ryuki's consort, but he has yet to seek her out. It is rumored that men, not women, share the emperor's bed
Rochelle
The story centres around Shurei Hong, who is poor but of noble birth. She gets selected to be the Emperors consort as she is very smart and teaches children who may become civil servants (which she, as a woman, cannot do) and may exert some influence over him so he may take up his governing duties.
I like that the female protagonist is smart and ambitious but also kind. As with a lot of manga, she doesn't have a lot of flaws(so far) but she is funny and likeable. Ryuki, the emperor, is also more
Indo
Ini bukan cerita cinderella yang biasa, walaupun tokoh utamanya cowok kaya dan cewek miskin. Yang bikin menarik, si cowok yang notabene kaisar itu selalu kelihatan polos, padahal sebenernya di balik "kepolosan"-nya dia selalu melindungi si cewek dari intrik2 di istana. Cuma di saat-saat tertentu dia menunjukkan kepiawaiannya, dan selalu ketika si cewek nggak lihat :D :D :D

Secara keseluruhan ini manga yang sangat layak dikoleksi, ceritanyanya menarik, gambarnya bagus, dan banyak cowok cakep berte
Joy
In which a destitute but idealistic young noblewoman becomes the emperor's consort in order to persuade him to take on the responsibility of actually governing. (Re-read 10/10/11 to refresh memory.)
Padma
Great story, great art! Recommended ♡
Dulu udah perna baca english scanlation nya tapi lupa ceritanya karena udah lama. Sekarang baca terjemahan indo nya dari m&c dan niat mengkoleksi komik 1 ini. Emang kalau komik adaptasi (novel) itu emang beda ya, plot ceritanya ga cetek dan alurnya sudah direncanakan dgn saksama.

Jadi ceritanya itu bersetting di suatu negara fiktif "Saiunkoku" atau Kingdom of Colored Clouds, yang dilindungi oleh 8 immortals (sejenis dewa mungkin?) dengan namanya masing2 Ko
Kayt
Shurei Hong is poor, but of noble birth, and has dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court. Alas, women are barred from holding office. However, when the emperor's advisors get fed up with his shirking of duties, Shurei is asked to become a consort and whip him into shape.

I was surprised by how good this manga actually was. Shurei is a likeable heroine--at first she comes off as a bit too stereotypical: fiery, penny-pinching, and crass, but with the first 10 pages we see that s
Kate
After reading several positive reviews about this series on some blogs that I follow, I decided to give The Story of Saiunkoku a try. It sounded a little off the beaten track when it comes to shoujo, being centered around politics, specifically women's role in politics, so I was intrigued.

The story is good thus far (I've read through the first five volumes of the story), with good character development and a well-crafted plot with political intrigue set in what appears to be a Chinese-inspired
S. J.
Sep 11, 2013 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage girls, people interested in manga
Recommended to S. by: Library
My local library is making a liar out of me. I've always said that I'm not a shojo fan (exceptions being Fruits Basket and Ouran Host Club), but I have now found two series in the shojo genre that are amazing and I'll be rereading them for years to come.

This series is set in a fictional (and slightly fantastical) world that draws heavily on particular eras of Chinese and possibly Japanese imperial courts. The main character, Shurei, is the daughter of a noble but poor civil servant working in t
Natalie
Ok, where to begin . . . .

Well, I will start by saying that this review will go between volumes 1-5. If anybody knows any online site that goes even further than volume 5, let me know.

Anyway, I guess I should say that as sad as this is I'm still having problems with their names. I can tell the difference between characters but it's just that some names are so similar that when their names are mentioned I'm thinking, who?

Going into this series, I thought I was going to hate it. The idea that this
Rasheta
I don't normally give Manga five stars as usually they aren't as amazingly good as this one is. I had seen the anime and rather liked it, but heard that there was more to the story. Taking that into consideration I sought out the manga.

I picked up the manga today thinking it would be like reading the anime, imagine my surprise when it was enough like it I could see the influence of the manga on the anime but it was also vastly different. The Emperor seems like less of a spoiled overly rambuncti
Matthew
The story and concept here are great. Shurei Hong is part of a noble family, but a family with serious financial troubles. To help her family's finances Shurei takes a position as consort for the new 19-year-old emperor who seems more intent on leaving all the work to his advisors. Shurei is sent in to give the emperor a better sense of responsibilty and take command of his realm.

It's very character driven with some nice bits of humor worked in. The art---from the girls to the boys to the backg
Rachael
I picked this up because I was curious and then when I read that it was about a woman who couldn't become a civil servant because only men can, I knew I had to give it a try. It was equal parts funny and heartstrings pulling. It is a feel good shojo romance set in a place inspired by ancient China.
Amy Keeley
[Note: I read the whole series]

Very good series. No romance, though there are constant hints at the possibility. It is, however, a very good story about a woman trying to follow her dream in spite of all obstacles. Recommended.
Chrissy
The premise delightful. The execution pathetic.

Honestly this was saved from one star only by comparison with its screen adaptation.
Conflicts feel terribly contrived, and every twist lined up is painfully obivous.
Shurei Hong is the single biggest problem with the story. In a book filled with characters who are forgettable and dull Shurei stands out by sheer force of Sue. She is so very poor, but only by comparison to her station. We are always reminded of her hard work, but are never SHOWN her st
Lilly Watts
The series is not finished, so be warned you will be extremely frustrated!
Yy
So adorable :-D
Leah Jones-barrett
Great story, I like it.
K.C. Rivers
Okay, so the storyline really wasn't mind-blowingly awesome. Interesting, yes. But the artwork was gorgeous, and I'm just a flat-out sucker for beautifully drawn manga. Or perhaps just beautifully drawn manga men. I'm not sure which. Whatever the case, I loved the characters and the artwork enough to be spell-bound.
Emmy Lou
A. Freaking. Mazing. It's not often that I come across a manga that I seem to love every single thing about, but The Story of Saiunkoku seems to qualify! The art is beautiful and neat, the story is intriguing, and the characters vibrant.

I wish Shojo Beat would also publish the light novels. :)
Andy
May 12, 2011 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Very cool! I really loved the artwork in this series and found all of the characters to be quite funny and sweet. I definitely would recomend this book to teens. At times the story was a bit confusing but the overall effect was very good. I really enjoyed it.
Dolores
I really enjoy the pageantry of this series. It's historical in setting with gorgeous clothing and court intrigue, but there is humor and romance to lighten the mood. Great characters too. A series with a bit of everything.
Leah Webber
This story has all my favorite elements. History, fantasy, and some theme of political intrigue, set in a psuedo-Chinese universe, with all the wonderful costuming and traditions that entails.
Christina Allen
This is a great, beautifully drawn series with complex characters and a compelling storyline. It is beautifully romantic and should appeal to those who love a strong yet feminine heroine.
Amanda
I love the heroine's spunk, but I don't care for her political naivete. I like it less and less as the story continues in the other books, but I still read them. So there you go.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Interesting story. The beginning has some rocky moments, and there is a tendencey to get prosaic in parts, but the characterization makes getting through the rough parts worth it.
Shoujo Manga Book...: The Story of Saiunkoku Discussion 2 17 Jun 28, 2013 04:41PM
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • A Bride's Story 01
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 1
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 01 (Library Wars: Love & War, #1)
  • Bride of the Water God, Vol. 1
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Kaze Hikaru, Volume 1
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 1
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 01 (Dawn of the Arcana, #1)
  • The Magic Touch, Vol. 1 (The Magic Touch, #1)
  • Basara, Vol. 1
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • From Far Away, Vol. 1
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 08
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 25
Also known as 由羅 カイリ
More about Kairi Yura...
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6