Crazy Loco Love: A Memoir

Crazy Loco Love: A Memoir

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Growing up on his parents’ ranch in North San Diego County, Victor Villaseñor’s teenage years were marked by a painful quest to find a place for himself in a world he did not fit into. Discriminated due to his Mexican heritage, Victor questions the tenets of his faith and the restrictions it places on his own spirituality and sexuality. Ultimat...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published August 1st 2006)

Aysha
Reading this book is like chewing wasabi. It's hot, powerful, and cleans out your sinuses. I love wasabi. I love this book. Read it if you can take it!
Melissa
The book starts out with several quotes. I'll give you one since they were all saying the same thing in a different way:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shr...more
Susan
1.5 out of 5 stars. Victor Villasenor really likes exclamation points!!! And CAPITALIZATION!

I expected to like this memoir of a Mexican boy growing up in Southern California, feeling out of place, trying to find how he fits in the world. When it started off, I didn't care for the writing style, but thought that the story could overcome it. After about 100 pages, I gave up and skimmed through the rest of the book. I probably would have quit completely if I hadn't been given the book by the publi...more
Lorenia Arroyo
Imagine trying to fit into a world you do not belong in. Feeling as if the whole world was against you. The shocking moment when your finally realizing you are growing up into manhood. The huge realization to finally growing into a young wise man like Victor Villaseñor living his young 16 years of life and being taught by his dad who immigrated to the United States during the Mexican Revolution. Taking the wise advice from his well experienced dad who simply desires for his son to take the right...more
Susan
The story of Victor Villaseñor's childhood and why he became a writer. This is an excellent book! It is very different from the books he has currently written, and as a book about adolescence, is full of colorful language about what he was going through as a teen and in his early twenties.
Laurie
I would've given this 5 stars, and at times, very much enjoyed this book but at other times, found myself wanting to be done with it. It goes on for quite a while. At times, with all the scrambling words and thoughts, I wondered if this weren't a man with schizophrenia writing this. I decided he wasn't, but rather just a writer trying to convey the frenzied feelings about life, sex, women, God, family, etc., that I imagine most people, esp. creative people, have at that time of their life. It wa...more
Marisa
i laughed, i cried, i learned...
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
Doesn't that description sound great? Coming from no less than the Los Angeles Times! That's what made me want to read and review this book.

I try really hard not to tear books apart; I know that each book is it's author's baby, and even when I point out the flaws, I point out the good as well.

I did not like this book ... at all. It was difficult for me to read, because it was frenetic, full of unnecessary capitalization, and exclamatory to the point of feeling prepubescent.

Victor is 16. His fath...more
Rachel Smalter Hall
How, at age 20, does an illiterate high-school dropout decide to become the next great writer? CrazyLoco Love tells that story, beginning beneath an old pepper tree on the eve of the author’s sixteenth birthday, and ending four years later at a bookstore in Montana where he clutches a copy of James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in his shaking hands.

Victor Villaseñor is a man of shockingly disparate narratives. On the one hand, he grew up the rich kid of first-generation Mexican...more
Yvonne Flores
I picked up the book without reading the jacket and I thought the book would be mostly about relationships/love because the title is Crazy Loco Love, and I was wrong. The book covers a young man's exploration of his religion/faith and deals with his love of God/Jesus which I was not expecting but appreciated reading. Victor Villasenor is very descriptive, especially when it comes to sex in his writing but I wish he would have controlled himself on the usage of the words "crazyloco" and "carcajad...more
Evanston Public  Library
Crazy Loco Love is Victor Villaseñor’s memoir about his teenage years in a Mexican-American family. But be forewarned about his literary style: Villaseñor capitalizes entire sentences, overuses exclamation points, and is unnervingly repetitive. Philosophical discussions with his mentors are self-aggrandizing; his spiritual beliefs are a weird patchwork of half-baked notions. Yet after I finished reading Crazy Loco Love, what remained was the memory of a highly-amusing tall tale peppered with hal...more
KrisT
Crazy Loco Love is the story of Victor Villasenor as he searches for meaning in his life. This memoir starts when Victor is a young boy trying to find his way in the U.S. School system that wants him to only speak English. Tripping through his classes and making and losing friends he tries to discover his faith and his place in this society. Much of his story seems to be based on him understanding and misunderstanding everything around him. While this is true for most of us, Victor is very sensi...more
Garryvivianne
Memoirs written about a young Mexican guy growing up in Southern California. His family was very wealthy, they owned a ranch with horses, he went to a military school & always had the best. However growing up was not easy for him. I guess all teens go through all this drama & fears & anxieties, but I got pretty tired of his always crying at EVERYTHING! What a titty baby!!....and his expression of "crazy loco" really got on my nerves.
Michael Simmons
Villa Señor's memoir of growing up Latino in the Anglo world of 1950's Southern California is filled with insight that can help us in the early 21st century to more fully appreciate the dynamics of our changing cultural landscape -- and have fun in the process. There are especially poignant gems for male readers of all ages, as well as for those who would better understand the coming of age of young men.
Carolina
Nice coming of age story, with great bi-cultural and bi-lingual themes. Some of the back and forth arguments between Victor and his priest, Victor and his college professor, etc., went on a little long for my impatient brain. I hope this book reaches many Mexican-American kids struggling with identity issues or an anti-immigrant climate.
Celina
Not the typical Villasenor journey...he does a better job writing about his family than himself. Crazyloco is written in an adolescent vernacular and a slower-paced read than usual; however, if you stick with it until the end, it's worth it. I'd recommend taking it in small servings rather than trying to finish it all at once.
BookMadre
Love this book already. Just after the first few pages I was so emotional I had to stop reading to calm down. Victor Villasenor is one of my favorite authors. Ok. I finished last week. I loved this book. He is hysterical. And not meaning to be funny. If you know anything about the Mexican culture this is a must read.
Chirstal Buckley
I'm a big fan of Victor Villasenor and I've actually met him on two separate occasions, but this was not my favorite book by him. I think it lacked the magic that his other books tend to carry. At times if felt like he was trying to force the magic, but just didn't have it.
Anabel
As you can see I am loyal to Victor Villasenor. This book is a biography of his memories growing up in California, searching for his Mexican-American identity. He was always surrounded by the image of Mexicans being dirty and dumb.
Bliss
I don't like to say I "read" a book if I didn't finish it but I have to do it, so I'll remember not to pick it up again if I see it.

Some books just aren't for me. This was one. It just didn't catch my interest fast enough.
Gregorio
The book was ok. It started out promising, then it just plateaued for most of the book, then it plummeted at the end. I guess in order to understand this book you need to know what you are and what you are not.
Lina Aguilar
Love this book. I am learning about the power of faith and to not have guilt for the desires that I have. And to continue questioning my beliefs. Socrates quote comes to mind, "an unexamined life is not worth living".
Victor Medel
Great book which defines and depicts the strugle that all of us encounter when trying to find who we are in life, I just wished this book was out a lot earlier in my life. I could of used this as a guide.
Jude
Compared to Steinbeck in reviews. Original voice. Maybe too metaphysical for some, but I loved it. Perfect for reading during our Mexican vacation.
Brianna
Slow getting into it, but I kept at it and ended up falling in love with it.
Kappy
Feb 22, 2009 Kappy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
REcommended by my friend Penny
Elena
Exhilaratingly passionate.
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Pam Keller
Pam Keller marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Eve 1 2 Dec 25, 2013 02:26AM
Teenage life 1 10 Jun 08, 2009 09:40AM
Victor Villaseñor is an acclaimed Mexican-American writer, best known for the New York Times bestseller novel Rain of Gold. Villaseñor's works are often taught in American schools. He went on to write Thirteen Senses: A Memoir (2001), a continuation of Rain of Gold. His book Burro Genius: A Memoir (2004) describes his life. The author has received awards and endorsements, including an appointment...more
More about Victor Villaseñor...
Rain of Gold Burro Genius: A Memoir Thirteen Senses: A Memoir Wild Steps of Heaven Macho!