Start by marking “Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want” as Want to Read:
Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want

Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  34 reviews
If you could ask for a miracle right now, what would it be? We’ve all had situations in our lives that seem beyond our control or that have no clear remedy. In this concise, inspirational guide, bestselling self-help guru Melody Beattie shows us that we have the ability to make a miracle for almost any circumstance we’re facing. Beattie, a trusted counselor for millions of ...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Make Miracles in Forty Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Miracles in Forty Days

LemontreeLime
This was not anything like I expected it to be. I was impressed, embarrassed, and a little awed by it. Yes I will try her exercises, we all can use miracles - and her process has no new age glitter to it, just common sense. (but its some of the hardest common sense to do of all...)
Annette Roeyer
I love this book. Have been doing the project with a friend for over a month. It is WORKING!
Linda Smyth
I started this plan about a year and a half ago, when I was living with a mother who was dying, an alcoholic brother, and 2 addict. I began by putting each of these people on my gratitude list every morning, as well as things like ~ "I'm grateful that: I'm immobilized by apathy, I don't want to change another adult diaper, I'm constantly criticized by my brother, I cant' give any more.", etc. I kept a little spiral notebook by my bedside and wrote within the first 10 minutes of waking up. If I f ...more
Chris
I really enjoyed the basic concepts of the book that feel that are helpful and enlightening. However, I felt the book lacked depth and more case studies on ways to apply the basic concepts. I would like to have read more personal accounts so that I can better understand the practical application of Ms. Beauttie's ideas.
Susan Kelley
The idea of a 40 Day Miracle seems a bit bizarre and new age. How can I just think myself into the position that I want to be in? Especially when nothing else has worked. The truly bizarre part of this book is the idea that professing gratefulness for the bad things can do any good.

I have only been practicing for two days now. I am doing the exercise, strange as it sounds. And yet, I find myself feeling better. Already. I feel like what is happening is that my thoughts and feelings have been cr
Susanne49
I read this book in less than a day. What a revelation! I am going to try the program for 40 days to see what miracles I can make. So excited.
Amy
I listened to this book through Audible. Melody Beattie is not the best at reading...but it does add a personal touch to the message.

Not sure if any miracles will occur but I am going to give it a try. It seems to me what she suggests is a way to acknowledge your problems and work through them with a positive twist. Drum up some good karma and maybe learn how to accept what-is while keeping ourselves open to new things.

Found my Miracle Partner and hopefully she will accept. Let's see what happe
Shannon Love
Took me a few months longer than forty days but I got my miracle.
Lindsey Shumway
Great book for anyone feeling stuck in life.
SBC
Beattie's Miracle Exercise is super-simple, and it really only takes five minutes of reading the book to get the exercise and what you can do. The rest is really just filler and additional explanation that answers further thoughts and questions, but a pleasure to read because Beattie is a natural storyteller with a lucid and entertaining writing style.

The basic idea is along the same lines of Susan Jeffers's 'Just nod your head - say yes', but gives a more practical and easy way in to this new w
Gatlianne Gatlianne
I recently embarked on a 40 day gratitude journey based off Melody Beattie's book Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want. ) The basis of this journey is that you bring an awareness to the events in your life and to your emotions by being grateful for each thing that happens - regardless if you give it the judgment of good or bad. This experience involves enrolling a partner that you're willing to trust yourself with and be vulnerable with as they will be reading yo ...more
Annette
I've started. I don't have a friend to share this with, but that's okay. I don't mind. I'm don't do well with sharing anyways.
This is a great book.
I don't have the privacy to do this in written form, so I will take the steps needed to have my privacy to write...or this just won't work at all, not if I can't establish complete privacy.
Heather Larcombe
Sometimes I just don't pick well from the wall of books on CD at the library. It sounded so promising. It didn't need to be a book. It could just as well have been a pamphlet and skipped all the endless painful stories. But it's possible that the stories would help others understand the point of the exercise.
Lizabeth
I enjoyed this book and definitely believe many of the things Melody Beattie writes. Though we do not share the same religion, her viewpoints and phrasing helped me to recognize my own beliefs in a new light - which I always appreciate. Her universal truths are true though she seems to waver in the application of it personally at times in her judgments. Overall, I think this book will be extremely helpful in assisting me to utilize gratitude to recognize the miracles in my life or the Lord's "te ...more
Kim
I actually listened on the audio and the author's (who acted as the narrator) pacing was off. Her lead up for the actual practice didn't lend to the book.
Lauren
Very simplistic, very short. I am glad I picked it up from the library. I just started the exercise, so I might change my ratings after the 40 days are up. However, I felt as though their wasn't a lot of meat in this book.
Jennifer Locke
The message of this book is hopeful and radical, even if the writing doesn't quite keep up. Beattie challenges us to practice expressing gratitude for ALL aspects of our lives, the good and the bad. We don't have to feel grateful; we just have to bathe all of the experiences of our lives in gratitude. It's an upside-down concept that is supposed to make you truly grateful for the life that you do have. Worth a read for the ideas and the practical presentation of "Project Miracle," a 40 day exper ...more
Lisa Shultz
I like the concept of acknowledging what is instead of stuffing anything unpleasant. I have read the book and am doing the exercises daily for at least 40 days although I might just keep going because I see the value in them already.
Beverly Kennett
We shall see how well it works. Teaches principles similar to al-anan, being grateful for everything in your life, living one day at a time, and living in the moment.
Selene Mikaiel
Another way to make a gratitude list. A more negative way it seemed.
John Sutton
Not that there was anything wrong with this book, but I just did not pick up enough valuable information from it. It was a short read and the author had a tough life. It is interesting to see how she overcame some of the things in her life. The biggest takeaway from this book is to try and change your negative thinking into positive. (Library Audiobook)
Laurie
Really enjoyed this audio book. Melody teaches a process that helped her make miracles in her own life. I am on day 3 and so far I am very impressed. I am really getting alot of goodness out of the process. I am getting to know myself better and feel much more in touch with my emotions.

I am expecting miracles.
Kellie
Such a great book! I've been faithfully keeping a journal/list and it has been so nice to accept all of my feelings, let them go and reinvent. It has been very healing and the first thing I turn to when in turmoil to help process and focus my prayers. I'm still going. Lifer :-)
Just O.K. You can sum up the book's advice in just one sentence (maybe a paragraph) and the rest is filler, as another reviewer said. The author mentions a few times that she was under pressure to complete another book, so maybe it would have been better if she had more time.
Lisa
I saw this on the new acquisitions' list, and was intrigued by the title. I'm not sure what I think about it, even though I'm nearly finished with it. I do know one thing though: I wish I had a reading partner for this.
Kellie Barlow
I'm trying this out. If I'm a millionaire by the middle of next month, I'll come back and give it 5 stars. I love Melody's outlook on life and the encouragement that fills the pages of her books.
Lisanigro
I am getting ready for a retreat and I wanted to do something to honor this upcoming venture so I am doing practices from this book. I really like it but I am a big Melody Beattie fan :)
Amanda
This is the first of Beattie's books that I've read. It was a quick and easy read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am on day three of "Project Miracle".
Geetha
Good book...gives an insight on applying gratitude exercise in our daily life and turning all miseries into mystery..
Gregory
Elegant in it's simplicity but there seemed to be a lot that was pure filler. I am grateful for the book however.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Life In Hand
  • If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path
  • The Interventionist
  • Bonjour, Happiness!: Secrets to Finding Your Joie de Vivre
  • Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
  • The Complete Book of Chakra Healing: Activate the Transformative Power of Your Energy Centers
  • For Everything a Season: Simple Musings on Living Well (Porch Talk series, #4)
  • The Peter Pan Syndrome: Men Who Have Never Grown Up
  • Am I a Hindu?: The Hinduism Primer
  • The Six-Figure Second Income: How to Start and Grow a Successful Online Business Without Quitting Your Day Job
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Northern Mysteries & Magick: Runes, Gods, and Feminine Powers
  • The Laptop Millionaire
  • Tammy Wynette: Tragic Country Queen
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • A Religion of One's Own: A Guide to Creating a Personal Spirituality in a Secular World
  • Addictive Thinking: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependant No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependants Anon ...more
More about Melody Beattie...
Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations on Codependency (Hazelden Meditation Series) Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time Codependent No More & Beyond Codependency Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul