Start by marking “The Scent of Jasmine (Edilean, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Scent of Jasmine (Edilean, #4)

The Scent of Jasmine (Edilean #4)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  2,891 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Would you risk your life—on the love of a lifetime?

Charleston, 1799: A daughter of Southern gentility and a gifted painter, Catherine Edilean Harcourt has no lack of suitors at home in Virginia, waiting to fulfill her dream of marriage and family. But Cay’s adventurous spirit, fostered by growing up with her three brothers, is piqued while visiting her godfather in South
Published December 28th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Scent of Jasmine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scent of Jasmine

Vicki
Sep 15, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Alex McDowell and Cay Harcourt were adorable. They were so anti each other that it made for a tense read wondering when they were going to realize they were meant for each other. I loved when they were sneaking around in the everglades in 1799. That was so funny to me and just added another layer of icing on the cake. Fun story and great characters. It is what a Deveraux novel is meant to be. I loved it.
Nan
Feb 11, 2011 Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, favorites, romance
Once again, I fall victim to my Jude Deveraux addiction. While few of Deveraux's books ever land on my favorites shelf, I always consistently return to her when I need a good read. A few of her books (Holly, Sweetbriar, and the Forever and Always trilogy, for example) fall flat for me, but I'm always willing to give her books a chance. This time, I'm glad I did. The Scent of Jasmine is a new favorite of mine.

So far, there are four books in the Edilean series, and only one has truly disappointed
Elsie
Mar 22, 2011 Elsie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Elsie by: Stephanie
Hmm.... I'm not exactly sure what to say about this one. I liked it ... and I didn't like it.

First off - what I liked. The book was a fun read. The characters were enjoyable and quirky with a lot of humor, which I liked a lot. There was a lot of action packed into this novel - AND of course I always enjoy a good historical fiction. =)

What I didn't like so much - the story was completely unbelievable. I know some people would probably say all romance novels are unbelievable, but that's not what
Ns
Feb 06, 2011 Ns rated it really liked it
Another charming read about the Edileans. If you're familiar with Jude Deveraux, then this novel has the same "feel" to many of her books. There is something irresistibly endearing about the characters and some sort of adventure or intrigue to the plot that will bring the hero and heroine together.

The Scent of Jasmine centers around Cay (Catherine Edilean Harcourt) and Alexander McDowell. From the outlook, the two are as different as night and day. Perhaps, because of this reason they suit each
margarida reis
In all fareness is more of a 3.85. As a friend of mine said, Jude has a more fluid writing in period novels and you can laugh more, so Days of Gold and this one are between the best of the Edilean saga.
The problems I had with this book might not be fair to the writer or the story, because I spent some busy weeks without having the time to read it, and it affected how I related to the characters and what I remembered from the first chapters. However, I felt like Alex was a bit "love at first sigh
Sidra
Sep 29, 2011 Sidra rated it really liked it
When I was search for a light read at the bookstore. It was easy. I just tried to find a Judith (Mcnaught) or Jude (Deveraux) or a Julie (Garwood) when I stumbled to this book amongst the teen vampire fiction and erotic books. And as I eyed the title - Scent of Jasmine, I smirked - What a cliche! But I bought it, and am glad I did. I loved cay - the female lead, and Alex - the male lead and their chemistry. I am still laughing at their banter! Yes, it wasn't a perfect plot or narration, but it s ...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Sep 30, 2011 Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ rated it really liked it
I found this book absolutely wonderful. This was the 4th Edilean novel I've read and I loved it.

I laughed at the scene of Alex and Tim. Alex accidentally 'kiss' Tim when he thought Tim was Cay. My colleague stared at me and I believe they thinks I'm crazy :D

The connection between Cay and her brothers wanting me more know about them. I hope that Jude Deveraux will continue her Edilean magic with the next generation Adam, Nate, Ethan and Tally because I cannot get enough of this family.
April
Jan 13, 2011 April rated it really liked it
THE SCENT OF JASMINE by Jude Deveraux is a historical romance set in 1799 Charleston, South Carolina and the Florida Everglades. It is well written with depth and details.It is the fourth in "The Edilean Series".Book One "Lavender Morning",Book two "Days of Gold",Book three " Scarlet Nights",and can be read as a stand alone,although each book gives a little history into Edilean.It has mystery,betrayal,deceit,romance,heart pounding adventure, love,friendship,banter,humor,sweet sensuality,
trust, a
BecksBookPicks
Dec 29, 2010 BecksBookPicks rated it it was ok
I liked the characters themselves in this book and the story line itself. A woman helping an escaped convict who was convicted of killing his wife. She gets stuck having to be on the run with him. It sounds good and enticing. Alex is a interesting male character. He was strong willed and determined to clear his name. Cay was a sassy and sarcastic female who was a little too innocent when it came to the real world. The two characters passion I thought should have been jumping off the pages. Howe ...more
Melissa
Dec 28, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A painter and a mysterious Scotsman? Oh yea, had to say yes to this book and I'm so glad I did! Cay is a woman who has several brothers who toughened her up a bit in her childhood and taught her to ride, however, she still lives the pampered rich girl life. She is asked to go in place of her uncle to deliver a horse and money to help an escaped prisoner, Alex. Cay goes and as things go wrong, she has to flee with the convict with the law on their trail. As they travel to the destination Cay's un ...more
Louisa
Jun 29, 2015 Louisa rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this books. I loved the hoping around in time, the first book being around the present, the second in the past, then back again, and then back to the past. I enjoyed that. I particularly liked the books in the past, since they just seemed more rich with detail, and the stories had more to them then the modern day ones.

But I enjoyed all the books, I read them on my NY trip (all but the last one, that's why it's week 20, too) so they'll have a special place in my heart.

I loved how ther
Liliana Pinto
O primeiro livro de Jude Deveraux que li foi o “Dias de Ouro” e penso que fiz a escolha mais acertada de todas.
Em “Perfume de Jasmim” conhecemos Cay, a única filha de Edilean (protagonista do livro “Dias de Ouro”), uma rapariga de vinte anos que só quer constituir família e ter filhos. Quando o seu padrinho lhe pede para ajudar um homem acusado de assassinato a vida dela muda de uma forma vertiginosa.
Gostei do livro, mas não posso dizer que adorei. Penso que a história foi contada de forma apres
Mary (BookHounds)
This is the fourth book in the Edilean series that covers centuries. I have not read any of the other books in this series, but I think this one can stand alone. I had no problem picking up with any of the background. This is an action-adventure historical romance set in the Everglades during 1799 and filled with lots of wonderful historical facts. I love authors who can combine fact with fiction.

Alex, who just broke out of prison is expecting Catherine's grandfather to meet him with a horse. In
Jill Jackson
Nov 25, 2012 Jill Jackson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical romance
Jude Deveraux is at her best when writing snappy dialogue between feuding lovers that find themselves thrown together against their will in implausible situations. Happily, this novel makes full use of her talents. Cay and Alex are an intelligent and humorous oouple, making for an enjoyable ride as the reader joins them on a journey from South Carolina to Florida in 1799.

The novel is part of Deveraux's Edilean series; a series that I have found greatly wanting in the modern-time stories of rath
DKAY
Dec 29, 2010 DKAY added it
Shelves: reviewed
I was hooked on this book from the beginning chapter. The storyline is great. I found it to be very interesting and with plenty of details. The characters are carageous and you fall in love with them as this story unfolds. You have a chance to really get to know Cay and Alex and understand them and that is one of the things I like the most about a good book. At times the story gets a bit wordy but that is probably just me wanting to get to the best parts faster. I tend to want to hop right to th ...more
Jessi
It's 1799 and Catherine Edilean (Cay) is about to undertake a dangerous mission for her uncle helping a man escape jail. Alexander MacDowell has been accused of murdering his wife on their wedding night and when Cay shows up to help him out (she's just supposed to deliver the horses and go) they both get swept up in an adventure exploring the Everglades with Cay dressed as a boy, which makes it VERY awkward when the rest of the group realizes they are having an intimate relationship.
Devereaux ha
Felicity
Sep 25, 2012 Felicity rated it did not like it
Yuck. This was possibly the worst book I have ever actually finished. It's sticky, cloying, unbelievable in every detail, completely ridiculously badly researched and all in all a truly horrible exercise. Let's just say this: as the hero (Scottish, naturally, because they all have to be Scottish for some unfathomable reason) is riding with the heroine (totally unbelievable and incredibly annoying) through the deep American South in 1799, they comment favorably on the lovely plantations and the h ...more
Regan
May 18, 2011 Regan rated it liked it
Scent of Jasmine was a good commute read -- easy to pick up and put down during 30-45 minute commutes each way to work and not get lost about where you were in the story. It is billed as a historial romance but except for the year being mentioned a few times there is really little to make his historical -- there's too much modern language and concepts to make that fly.

Cay and Alex seem more like older teens that twenty-something adults and more often than not they seem like junior high students
Ellie
Jun 07, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing
This is why I keep rooting for Jude Deveraux and her novels. Because reading her story makes you want to be IN them, which is the best part in reading a good book. I loved every minute of what took place in the novel, and I couldn't stop laughing and squealing at the best parts. The Scent of Jasmine hero and heroine, that would be Alex McDowell and Cay Harcourt, remind me so much of Angus McTern and Edilean Talbot from Days of Gold. There's crime, mystery, romance, and comedy all in one and I ju ...more
Kimberly
Sep 09, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it
This was better than the earlier books in the series, but it is still not the same as so many of her earlier books. Something is just missing. Maybe considering the number of books she has written, you can only do the same old romance so many ways without copying yourself. This certainly seems to be setting up sequels for Cay's brothers. I will probably read them as well and keep hoping the see that spark that was in the Duchess and a Knight in Shining Armor.
Lisa
Jul 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
I had started this book awhile back but didn't really get into it. I picked it up a second time and got sucked into the story. The exchange between the characters was good; reminded me of my parents. It's been a while since I had read the previous book in the series but it came back to me quickly. I recommend reading the books in this series in order as the history builds with each one. I already have the next book in the series and have started it.
Michele
Apr 02, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff
I love Jude Deveraux. So, I enjoyed this book. Entertaining, a fun read...can't wait for the next ones in the series. I love how her female characters are gorgeous but that isn't their strong point. They are incredibly smart and resourceful and if you tell them they can't do something they will not only figure out how to do it, but they will excel at it.
Jill
This book reminded me of the Jude Deveraux I fell in love with all those years ago. Great characters, great storyline and some really funny moments. There were a few small things I had issues with in this story, but not enough to bother me because I was enjoying myself so much. It seems to me the author does much better with historicals.
Barbara
Feb 15, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
I love Jude Deveraux's writing style. She always keeps it funny and romantic. Her characters usually sleep together by the middle of the book so there's no silly sexual tension games played. But there isn't too much graphic detail either. The couples always have fun, can talk easily and really love each other. This one was really fun. I've got the next one "Jeartwishes" ready to read on my Nook.
Kim
Jan 08, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Another quick fn Jude Deveraux read. The story picks up just after Days of Gold. Cay is roped into helping escaped murder suspect Alex. As they run through the South to the wilds of Florida we are given witty banter, two characters finding out who they are, and a budding romance. A fun mystery and lovely romance. It also gives a whole new meaning to the scent of jasmine...
Dion Ribeiro
Feb 21, 2016 Dion Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mais um livro delicioso de Jude Deveraux, que escreve com romantismo, com magia e com humor; decididamente é uma das minhas autoras preferidas neste momento. Já li vários livros desta série, a série "Edilean" e gostei imenso de todos, são muito agradáveis e relaxantes, para mim, pegar num livro destes é ter a certeza de passar algumas horas em boa companhia.

Bridget
Dec 30, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it
I was swept away by The Scent of Jasmine. I was sucked in within the first few pages and Jude kept me intrigued throughout the entire book. I haven't quite decided which part of the book I liked more, the historical aspect or the steamy, sensual romance. The characters are easy to relate to and the story flows. I recommend this book to historical romance fans.
Jodi
Sep 16, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Shauna
May 05, 2013 Shauna rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Jude Deveraux so she can't really go wrong in my eyes. I've been a reader of hers for more than 20 years now. I've followed her from the cheesy girlie romances to her more evolved plots that even include some mystery or intrigue. This particular book is one of her more chic-lit books, but I don't mind. I'm a fan for life!
Nélia Rosa
Feb 08, 2016 Nélia Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primeiro lido desta escritora e gostei. Não é enfadonho com descrições que nunca mais acabam, o que é uma vantagem. De certo que irei ler outros da mesma escritora.
Más libros para Latinoamérica!!! 1 1 Nov 25, 2015 07:28AM
  • Bonkers
  • Duchess of Sin (The Daughters of Erin, #2)
  • Stronger than Sin (Sin Hunters, #2)
  • Aching for Always
  • Clever John (Maiden Lane, #2.5)
  • Montana Glory
  • The Valcourt Heiress (Medieval Song, #7)
  • Tempted by Fate (The Guardians of Destiny, #3)
  • His Ruthless Heart: Love Only Once / Tender Rebel
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • Sins of Omission (Sins, #1)
  • Encontro em Itália
  • To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone (Wicked Wagers, #2)
  • The Duelist's Seduction (Seduction #1)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Nobody's Angel
  • The Reckless Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #4)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Edilean (9 books)
  • Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1)
  • Days of Gold (Edilean, #2)
  • Scarlet Nights (Edilean, #3)
  • Heartwishes (Edilean, #5)
  • Moonlight in the Morning (Edilean, #6)
  • Stranger in the Moonlight (Edilean, #7)
  • Moonlight Masquerade (Edilean, #8)
  • Change of Heart (Edilean, #9)