Start by marking “A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic” as Want to Read:
A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic

A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic (Pern (Chronological Order))

Dragons are monsters, mages, heroes, horrors. Dragons thrill our dreams and haunt our legends. Now Margaret Weis, coauthor of the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance and Death Gate series, author of the Star of the Guardians series, and one of the world's leading dragonists and dracophiles, gathers the greatest classic dragon stories of our time, written by the winners ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by Aspect Fantasy (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
221st out of 1,026 books — 1,986 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher Paolini
161st out of 314 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm disappointed to find this edition was abridged from the original and all the more interesting, less frequently anthologized stories seem not to have been included here.

This edition contains:
Weyr Search [Dragonriders of Pern] (1967) by Anne McCaffrey — I was madly in love with the Pern books as a teen, but the more I read the original Pern story that McCaffrey later expanded, the more I really dislike it. Reading it here again was like having everything I enjoyed about the world of Pern sucke
Aug 26, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it
This is the second dragon anthology I've read in the past couple of years. I don't have any particular fascination for me compared to other fantasy creatures, although I do like them. In the case of the earlier anthology, I picked it out because of the authors who were included; A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic was something my mother picked up for me at a garage sale.

Unsurprisingly, there was a little overlap between the two collections: namely, the entries in this collection by Anne
Anna Tan
Jul 18, 2016 Anna Tan rated it liked it
Weyr Search (Anne McCaffrey) was awesome.
The Ice Dragon (George R.R. Martin) was superb. (Maybe I should read GOT?)
The Ever-After (Eluki bes Shahar) started meh, but turned out pretty good.
The George Business (Roger Zelazny) was amusing.
The Dragonbone Flute (Lois Tilton) was poignant.

And that's half the stories.

A Drama of Dragons (Craig Shaw Gardner) and St Dragon and the George (Gordon R. Dickson) were okay, though there were a bit too many St George & the Dragon spoofs/rewrites. I neve
May 30, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
I didn't read all the stories, just the ones by the authors I've never read before. I discovered a few new authors that I'd like to try more of, like L. Sprague de Camp, Esther Friesner, and Eluki Bes Shahar. I've always had a fondness for dragons, so all these dragon-centered stories really hit the spot.
Nov 30, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
As with any short story collection, some of these are great, some are terrible, some are okay. But you say "dragon" and I say here's my money . . . Got this back in high school.
Adrian Charles
Jul 16, 2011 Adrian Charles rated it liked it
Dracophiles should purchase it immediately, if they haven't yet; otherfolks should probably just borrow it.
Althea Ann
Aug 03, 2012 Althea Ann rated it really liked it
This book is pretty much exactly as advertised - if you're in the mood for some dragons, and you're a fan of fantasy fiction, there are stories here for you.
They're not all excellent stories - but my rating gets raised up to 4 stars because it does have some true classics here - Anne McCaffrey's gloriously un-PC 'Weyr Search' (the one that started it all!) and George R.R. Martin's 'Ice Dragon,' for example.

The Jane Yolen story is an excerpt from her 'Pit Dragon' trilogy, which is still my favori
Jul 06, 2013 Caro rated it really liked it
This was an interesting and captivating book. I liked most of the stories and some not so much. There were a lot that captured me and had me turning until the end without realizing it. I liked all the different stories and the interpretations of dragons. Although some of the stories weren't based around a dragon (just happened to have one there for a minute) I liked them. A couple weren't gripping but weren't to hard to read and a lot of them were definitely interesting if not 'happy'. I liked t ...more
May 06, 2016 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would! Dragons are amazing (fantasy) creatures. However, many stories didn't convey this feeling . I can't dismiss though the good stories that were in this book. Therefore, if you love dragons you will eventually come to like this book- or at least a part of it..
As it turns out, this was an abridged version. I don't know that I'll seek out the book to read the rest of the stories, but it was fun.

Listening to this on the walk to/from work. So far ok; as with all anthologies, some stories are better than others.

So far the Jane Yolen story was simple but nice; Orson Scott Card story was kind of whacked (dragons impregnating women? ewww); the Zelazny story was great (and led to a movie--Dragonheart); the McKillip story is slow but that's just how she w
Jul 14, 2007 Tim rated it really liked it
Obviously not every story in this compilation gets four stars. Some don't even deserve one. In fact the one story in here by Orson Scott Card (probably my favorite author) is lousy.
But there are several stories here that are excellent. George Martin fans will find an great tale about a girl and a dragon. No it's not related to TSOIAF but it's great nonetheless.
This book is great for those times when you don't have time to get involved in an entire novel, but you still crave reading something go
Nov 15, 2014 Kelly added it
"The Ice Dragon" by George R. R. Martin
Oct 27, 2010 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fun collection of short stories. Some were better than others.

My two favorite were converting Dragons to Christianity (hilarious) and a short story about an evil sword trying to corrupt a hero...awesome.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
The Dragonriders of Pern story seems to be made up of parts of the first book in the series rescued from the editor's trash. Well done and complete in itself, but not the something different I'd hoped for.
Teresa Ellis
Jan 31, 2013 Teresa Ellis rated it liked it
I gave it three stars because there were some stories I really liked and some stories I will never read again and wish I never read in the first place.
Nov 28, 2010 A rated it did not like it
Wow, first two stories had my thinking, "Hmm, not fond of this so far but I'll stick it out." Third story was just bloody ridiculous.
Mar 31, 2013 Meg rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
For a book called a Dragon-Lover's Treasury... there's a lot of stories with completely unlovable dragons.
Jul 11, 2015 Anastasia rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Loved some of the stories better than others. It was a good collection of short stories.
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Razz Terizzi
Razz Terizzi rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
AAaa rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Vex marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Rez rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Dani marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Dawn M Fryauff
Dawn M Fryauff marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Raylamond Morrisseau
Raylamond Morrisseau marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Kaesa marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Zheena marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Trista marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
  • A Time When, Being A Tale Of Young Lord Jaxom, His White Dragon, Ruth And Various Fire Lizards
  • Creature Fantastic
  • Legends II
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Federations
  • The Atlas of Pern
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)