Start by marking “Glasgow Kiss” as Want to Read:
Glasgow Kiss

Glasgow Kiss (DCI Lorimer #6)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A perfectly paced, atmospheric mystery that gets to the beating heart of the Scottish city and features the most dynamic Scottish detective since Rebus Eric Chalmers is one of the most popular teachers at Muirpark Secondary School in Glasgow. Gentle and kind, he is the person the students come to when they want to confide in someone. So when precocious teenager Julie Dona ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Glasgow Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glasgow Kiss

Jenifer Mohammed
I am always impressed by the strong character building in Gray's writing. He creates memorable people and little vignettes of life that ring true. In this story, Lorimer is on the hunt for a srangler and a woman who has abducted a child. He and his fellow officers manage to solve both cases through careful investigation. Gray's writing seems very realistic in his portrayal of police work. An excellent whodunit!
Evangeline
I agree with a couple of other reviewers of this book when they said that this book does not encapsulate Glasgow like it claims to. Indeed, the only reason this book caught my eye in the shop where i bought it in the first place was the exciting prospect of a mystery set in my own hometown, but this novel could have been set anywhere. The only effort made by the writer to capture Glasgow is through the use of local dialect and geography, which, shockingly enough for someone supposedly from the c ...more
Judie Holliday
I always love to discover a new author in one of my favourite genres, and a Scottish crime author is even better. Sadly, this book was just awful.

To begin with, nothing happens. I mean, okay, a little girl gets snatched (don't worry, it's not even a tiny bit realistic so you won't feel horrible and sick about it). It's upsetting for everyone when it happens. The mother is distraught. Then, a completely unrelated murder happens and the little girl is pretty much forgotten until later, she's foun
martin
One other reviewer commented on the inaccuracy of the publisher's blurb - this book does not bring Glasgow to life in the way Rankin has portrayed Edinburgh.

Apart from a good knowledge of the city's streets and districts (and their implied messages of social status, wealth and safety that everyone familiar with the city will appreciate), I found this story could have been more or less anywhere. The beauties (and the ugliness) of the Glaswegian accents have largely been ignored with a few except
Nigel
Not read any of these before but it made for a well paced crime thriller. I'm not sure it really deserves comparison with Rebus but it was a good "holiday" and I'd read another I think. It does seem odd to me that the policeman that this series is about doesn't feature strongly in this story and, frankly, is one of the weaker characters. 3.5/5 for pace maybe. ...more
Alison Evans
This is a story about a Glasgow detective with a teacher wife and trouble in the school in which she teaches. A very popular RS teacher is accused of rape by a sexy teenager. Can this be true? Then she disappears. The story is reasonably interesting, but there is far too much "padding", with lengthy descriptions of various characters and their feelings and their social interactions. This is clearly not Alex Gray's first book, as previous cases are referred to. It was OK, but not so good I'd rush ...more
Ann

This was my first book by Alex Gray. I'm very impressed and hopeful that I'll love the others too. It is beautifully written, with really well drawn characters that are easy to know. The writing evokes a real atmosphere of where each scene is set. The writing was always on topic, nothing was superfluous. The story had various threads. It was sensible, but never predictable and I was constantly riveted by the story!

The only bit of this book that I didn't like was the final conversation. It was be
Karen
Sometimes you have to wonder if the blurbs publishers put on the front of the book are more of a hindrance than a help. In the case of Alex Gray's 6th book - they've set an unbelievably high expectation with 'Brings Glasgow to life in the same way Ian Rankin evokes Edinburgh'. Quite a high mark to set, and one I have to say I didn't think was reached with this particular book.

DCI William Lorimer has been called in to investigate the disappearance of a little girl. Snatched by a woman in a car fr
Karyn Mitchell
The fact that's set in a place i actually recognize had great appeal to me. The characters were lovable and the story was good though it left a lot of unanswered questions for me. which i then realized were due to this book being one in a series about detective Lorimor's cases though i'm unsure what order they come in as this is the first of Gray's books I have read.

Good crime Novel that i could sink my teeth into and try to figure out who done it before i got to that part of the book as is my
Roy McDine
From the first few pages through to the epilogue, a really un-put-downable thriller.
Saw some other poor reviews for this novel about the authenticity of some of the Glasgow details - made no difference to me as the plot and characterisation was first-class.
Highly recommended!!
Stuart Mclaughlin
My first Alex Gray / DCI Lorimer novel and I'll probably look up the other books in the series; not a patch on Rebus however.

A decent police procedural - easy to read but I felt the subplots and characterisation were at the expense of the main plot.

Ruth

I like the characters of Lorimer and his wife Maggie. Don't know Glasgow very well so inaccuracies are lost on me. Enjoyable read and brings home the point that rumours and murmurings against people only hurt the innocent.
Chris Longmuir
Alex Gray never fails to disappoint and this book was as good as any she has written. It had all the elements of a good crime story, allegations of rape, missing child, and murder, with the story told at brekneck speed. A great read.
Maggie White
Enjoyed the book about a teacher who is accused by a pupil of sexual assault. The girl is later found murdered at the same time as a toddler goes missing. It is set in Glasgow and was well written. Good easy read.
Michelle Nangle
This has been a favourite right from the offset. I liked that this book had a different feel from the previous stories. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Ruth
At first I just enjoyed listening to all the references to Glasgow but by the end I was quite caught up in the story and really quite enjoyed it too.
Rog Harrison
Must have missed this one when it came out last year. Another in the series featuring Glasgow police detective Lorimer.
David
Read this one very quickly which is always a good sign that I really enjoyed it.
Vicky
Quite good. Not the fastest plot but I enjoyed reading
Helen
Bit disappointed. Expected more from it.
Ginger
A debut novel worth reading.
Lgsplace
Lgsplace is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Roan
Roan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • Cleanskin
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Mosaic
  • The Zookeeper's War
  • Random
  • The Disappeared (Jenny Cooper, #2)
  • The Price Of Love: And Other Stories
  • Eye For An Eye
  • December
  • Hospital
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • Cut to Black (DI Joe Faraday, #5)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • The Truth
  • Chasing Evil (Circle of Evil, #1)

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else
  • A Small Weeping
  • Shadows of Sounds
  • The Riverman
  • Pitch Black
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man
  • Sleep Like The Dead
  • A Pound of Flesh
  • The Swedish Girl (DCI Lorimer, #10)
  • The Bird That Did Not Sing (DCI Lorimer)
The Riverman Never Somewhere Else A Small Weeping Five Ways To Kill A Man The Swedish Girl (DCI Lorimer, #10)