Start by marking “Glasgow Kiss” as Want to Read:
Glasgow Kiss

Glasgow Kiss (DCI Lorimer #6)

Eric Chalmers is one of the most popular teachers at Muirpark Secondary School in Glasgow. Gentle and kind, he is the person the students come to when they want to confide in someone. So when precocious teenager Julie Donaldson accuses Chalmers of rape, the school goes into shock. How could a deeply religious family man like Chalmers do anything like that? With some ...more
Published November 5th 2009 by Little, Brown (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Glasgow Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glasgow Kiss

Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 27, 2015 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
I am always impressed by the strong character building in Gray's writing. He creates memorable people and little vignettes of life that ring true. In this story, Lorimer is on the hunt for a srangler and a woman who has abducted a child. He and his fellow officers manage to solve both cases through careful investigation. Gray's writing seems very realistic in his portrayal of police work. An excellent whodunit!
Evangeline
Feb 09, 2011 Evangeline rated it did not like it
I agree with a couple of other reviewers of this book when they said that this book does not encapsulate Glasgow like it claims to. Indeed, the only reason this book caught my eye in the shop where i bought it in the first place was the exciting prospect of a mystery set in my own hometown, but this novel could have been set anywhere. The only effort made by the writer to capture Glasgow is through the use of local dialect and geography, which, shockingly enough for someone supposedly from the ...more
Judie Holliday
I always love to discover a new author in one of my favourite genres, and a Scottish crime author is even better. Sadly, this book was just awful.

To begin with, nothing happens. I mean, okay, a little girl gets snatched (don't worry, it's not even a tiny bit realistic so you won't feel horrible and sick about it). It's upsetting for everyone when it happens. The mother is distraught. Then, a completely unrelated murder happens and the little girl is pretty much forgotten until later, she's foun
martin
Jul 27, 2014 martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One other reviewer commented on the inaccuracy of the publisher's blurb - this book does not bring Glasgow to life in the way Rankin has portrayed Edinburgh.

Apart from a good knowledge of the city's streets and districts (and their implied messages of social status, wealth and safety that everyone familiar with the city will appreciate), I found this story could have been more or less anywhere. The beauties (and the ugliness) of the Glaswegian accents have largely been ignored with a few except
Karen
Sometimes you have to wonder if the blurbs publishers put on the front of the book are more of a hindrance than a help. In the case of Alex Gray's 6th book - they've set an unbelievably high expectation with 'Brings Glasgow to life in the same way Ian Rankin evokes Edinburgh'. Quite a high mark to set, and one I have to say I didn't think was reached with this particular book.

DCI William Lorimer has been called in to investigate the disappearance of a little girl. Snatched by a woman in a car fr
Babs
Nov 30, 2015 Babs rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Alex Gray. I mainly picked it up because it's set in my hometown of Glasgow. However, that said, I don't think the book wasoverly Glaswegian and could actually have been set anywhere. The characters didn't strike me as typically Glaswegian and it certainly wasn't as gritty as an episode ofTaggart. That said, it was a good read.

There are actually three parallel stories in the book. The main one is about the accusation of rape levelled against a secondary school
Scott
May 02, 2016 Scott rated it liked it
A case of a young girl snatched from outside her home, an RE teacher accused of rape, after rebuffing the advances of one of his pupils, and said pupil then turning up dead. Just another day for your world weary cop.
A decent enough crime story, leaves you guessing who the murderer is, no real hints until the end. As mentioned by other reviewers the publisher claims it does for Glasgow what Rebus did for Edinburgh, but i never felt that either, the language and characters of Glasgow never really
Ann
Jul 22, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was my first book by Alex Gray. I'm very impressed and hopeful that I'll love the others too. It is beautifully written, with really well drawn characters that are easy to know. The writing evokes a real atmosphere of where each scene is set. The writing was always on topic, nothing was superfluous. The story had various threads. It was sensible, but never predictable and I was constantly riveted by the story!

The only bit of this book that I didn't like was the final conversation. It was be
Mancman
Apr 13, 2016 Mancman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2016
If I'd paid money for this book it would probably have got one star, as it was a free acquisition it gets an extra one.

It started promisingly, with characters well drawn and engaging. I'm not sure why the Glasgowcentric focus was used, it could be any city setting for this novel.

The real problem for me with this book is the plotting, it's haphazard, lacks real drive and there are threads which simply go nowhere. The resolution is disappointing and frankly felt like the author had got tired of w
Karyn Mitchell
Oct 01, 2013 Karyn Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that's set in a place i actually recognize had great appeal to me. The characters were lovable and the story was good though it left a lot of unanswered questions for me. which i then realized were due to this book being one in a series about detective Lorimor's cases though i'm unsure what order they come in as this is the first of Gray's books I have read.

Good crime Novel that i could sink my teeth into and try to figure out who done it before i got to that part of the book as is my
Alison Evans
This is a story about a Glasgow detective with a teacher wife and trouble in the school in which she teaches. A very popular RS teacher is accused of rape by a sexy teenager. Can this be true? Then she disappears. The story is reasonably interesting, but there is far too much "padding", with lengthy descriptions of various characters and their feelings and their social interactions. This is clearly not Alex Gray's first book, as previous cases are referred to. It was OK, but not so good I'd rush ...more
Nigel
Jun 02, 2015 Nigel rated it liked it
Not read any of these before but it made for a well paced crime thriller.  I'm not sure it really deserves comparison with Rebus but it was a good "holiday" and I'd read another I think. It does seem odd to me that the policeman that this series is about doesn't feature strongly in this story and, frankly, is one of the weaker characters. 3.5/5 for pace maybe.
Ruth
Aug 12, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012

I like the characters of Lorimer and his wife Maggie. Don't know Glasgow very well so inaccuracies are lost on me. Enjoyable read and brings home the point that rumours and murmurings against people only hurt the innocent.
Roy McDine
Jan 26, 2013 Roy McDine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
From the first few pages through to the epilogue, a really un-put-downable thriller.
Saw some other poor reviews for this novel about the authenticity of some of the Glasgow details - made no difference to me as the plot and characterisation was first-class.
Highly recommended!!
Maggie White
Sep 08, 2010 Maggie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book about a teacher who is accused by a pupil of sexual assault. The girl is later found murdered at the same time as a toddler goes missing. It is set in Glasgow and was well written. Good easy read.
Stuart Mclaughlin
Apr 26, 2013 Stuart Mclaughlin rated it it was ok
My first Alex Gray / DCI Lorimer novel and I'll probably look up the other books in the series; not a patch on Rebus however.

A decent police procedural - easy to read but I felt the subplots and characterisation were at the expense of the main plot.

Chris Longmuir
Dec 05, 2011 Chris Longmuir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Gray never fails to disappoint and this book was as good as any she has written. It had all the elements of a good crime story, allegations of rape, missing child, and murder, with the story told at brekneck speed. A great read.
Ruth
Mar 26, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
At first I just enjoyed listening to all the references to Glasgow but by the end I was quite caught up in the story and really quite enjoyed it too.
Rog Harrison
Must have missed this one when it came out last year. Another in the series featuring Glasgow police detective Lorimer.
Michelle Nangle
This has been a favourite right from the offset. I liked that this book had a different feel from the previous stories. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Howard Moore
Howard Moore rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Luce Cronin
Mar 19, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it liked it
Good story. Well written, but i felt that the ending was somewhat weak.
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Sarah Galbraith
Sarah Galbraith rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
Nov 26, 2016
Evelyn Murray
Evelyn Murray rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Ginger
A debut novel worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cleanskin
  • Mosaic
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • The Zookeeper's War
  • Cold Grave
  • Lamb To The Slaughter (DI Marjory Fleming #4)
  • Dark Water (Anderson & Costello, #3)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Jacquot and the Waterman (Daniel Jacquot, #1)
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • A Fear Of Dark Water (Jan Fabel, #6)
  • A Death In Calabria
  • Chasers
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Hospital

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (DCI Lorimer #1)
  • A Small Weeping (DCI Lorimer #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds
  • The Riverman
  • Pitch Black
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man
  • Sleep Like The Dead
  • A Pound of Flesh
  • The Swedish Girl (DCI Lorimer, #10)
  • The Bird That Did Not Sing (DCI Lorimer)