Start by marking “Happy Birthday to You!” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  3,721 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
Bigger than New Year’s, the Fourth of July, and Halloween all rolled into one, birthdays are for celebrating with Dr. Seuss in his first all-color picture book, Happy Birthday to You! Fly with the Great Birthday Bird in this fantastical commemoration of YOU! And make the most of your special day, which only comes once a year!

“Today you are you! That is truer than true!
The
Hardcover, Later Edition, 64 pages
Published August 12th 1959 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday to You!, please sign up.

Hannah Katroo, a made up place by Dr. Seuss, with time telling fish and snookers, as usual.
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonHorton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
21st out of 636 books — 47 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderRamona the Pest by Beverly ClearyMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna Othitis
Books for seven-year-olds
103rd out of 495 books — 240 voters

More lists with this book...

Archit Ojha
Nov 01, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks

The strangest version of Happy Birthday I ever heard of.

Well, strange in a funny sense. I am grateful Indian schools aren't that much into Dr. Seuss.
It's awkward enough standing in front when the whole class sings the traditional version. You're clueless as to whether you shall smile, clap along with them, lip-sync replacing the you with an I.

Or perhaps do this.

" If you'd never been born, well what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a door knob! Or three baked po
Sophia Triad
Oct 06, 2016 Sophia Triad rated it it was amazing
“I am what I am!
That’s a great thing to be!
If I say so myself,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME”

This is a grown-ups' book in disguise.

Yes, I know it looks like a children’s book.

It has excellent illustrations, it rhymes and it describes how they celebrate birthdays in a far away land.

However, it has so many hidden messages which will make any adult smile and feel happy for being born.

I actually know many grown-ups who have bought this book for their grown-up friends.

And yes it is important for every
Mark
Oct 20, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
This book was special to me. One I will always remember because...

"If you'd never been born, well what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a door knob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag full of hard green tomatoes!
Or worse than all that... why, you might be a
WASN'T!
A Wasn't has no fun at all. No, she doesn't.
A Wasn't just isn't. She just isn't present.
But you... you ARE YOU! And now, isn't that pleasant!"

Happy Birthday! You are a you....
Kristi
Sep 09, 2010 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddo-books
"Today you are you! that is truer than true! there is no one alive who is you-er than you! shout loud, i am lucky to be what i am! Thank goodness i'm not just a clam or a ham or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam! I am what i am! that's a great thing to be! If i say so myself, happy birthday to me!"
Tyler
Nov 12, 2012 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a birthday!
I got this for my girlfriend's 21st birthday and it was the best possible book to give. It was amazing fun to read together and be happy and silly. It is such a creative book, and has become a classic for me.
Matthew
I am a person that when it comes to birthdays I love the whole spectacle of feeling like a King for a day. I love receiving presents regardless of how small or big it is, the Facebook messages, receiving texts and calls all day. Before I forget I love eating cake at the end of the day. For me it makes me feel important and alive to have reach another year to celebrate my birthday. I have a very positive outlook when it comes to birthdays but I realize not many do.

I've learned over the years that
Brigid Keely
Mar 22, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, fiction, unfinished
"Happy Birthday to You!" by Dr. Seuss is typical of the more mediocre Seuss books, "Wacky" and endlessly droning, tedious to read.

You're going to the birthday party of a 4 year old you don't know really well, but you know he likes books and his parents are nerds. This seems like a great gift, right? That's how we received it. My four year old stopped opening presents to lavish attention on several books he received and had to be prodded gently to return to what he was doing. After present openin
April
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Kathryn
Mar 21, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
If we didn't have birthdays, you wouldn't be you.
If you'd never been born, well then what would you do?
If you'd never been born, well then what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag full of hard green tomatoes.
Or worse than all that. . . Why, you might be a WASN'T!
A Wasn't has no fun at all. No, he doesn't.
A Wasn't just isn't. He just isn't present.
But you. . .You ARE YOU! And, now isn't that pleasant!
Donna Davis
Oh, what could be more wonderful than a birthday??? This darling little Seuss book is perfect for any child old enough to sit through this many pages...especially when their birthday is near! Oh, the joy! (This is, however, one of the Seuss books that contains humans, and...sigh!...yes, the star of the birthday is white. But it's still a great book.)

Remember...there is no one, no, NO one who's you-er than you!
Jennybug
This was ok! I thought it would be better. I really do regretter. I picked it up at a yard sale, it was really cheap. I should have left in that great big heap. It is just not my favorite it wasn't that good. Just cause it was Dr. Seuss I thought it would. It just went on and on and never stopped. Like a Kangaroo who hopped and hopped. Just because it is a rhyme doesn't make it great all the time.

So free book for anyone who wants it? Let me know!
savvygrace.e
Aug 08, 2016 savvygrace.e rated it it was amazing
It has been a family tradition since we got this book that if it's somebody's birthday, we read it. It's such a fun book and a fun tradition! Just like any other one of Dr. Seuss' books, it has a lot of rhymes, verbs, and adjectives, and it's great for elementary students!
Skylar Burris
Jun 26, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is not one of the best Seuss books in my estimation, but it's still Seuss after all. Of course...but, since I'm already rolling my eyes at the elaborate nature of children's birthday parties these days and resigning my children to less fanfare than their friends...this book doesn't help.
Garrett
Feb 18, 2014 Garrett rated it it was amazing
I always have a blast reading this book to my kids, and they enjoy every syllable. One of my faves by Dr. Seuss.
Joseph Michael Owens
Dec 22, 2014 Joseph Michael Owens rated it really liked it
Read this to my son last night for his 1st birthday. Pretty fun read! Though, admittedly, some of the twistier tongue-twisters were a bit challenging to read aloud!
Polly
I love this book so much, it's such a fine example of the serious silliness of Dr. Seuss. My Mom reads this to me every birthday, even though I'm now a 30-something!
Bev Walkling
great fun for young children. I enjoyed reading it to my grandchildren today (2&4) in honour of Graunty Barb's birthday.e
Maria
Once in a while you need a little Seuss in your blood and this was such a time. I had never heard of this book but bought it because of the title. It was alright but not one of his best.
Aaron
Jan 13, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing
The perfect compliment to Seuss's dark and sobering Butter Battle Book. This tongue twisting, existential, coming of age piece is fun to read for the whole family.
Kate
Jul 09, 2015 Kate added it
Happy B-day TY-TY !!!!!! I love you! I can't believe that you are six!!!!
Indira
Nov 27, 2012 Indira rated it really liked it
from louise for luxmi's birthday.
Kimberly Karalius
Jun 07, 2016 Kimberly Karalius rated it it was amazing
An adorable gift from a good friend for my birthday :)
Chantal ❄️
Oct 21, 2016 Chantal ❄️ rated it it was amazing
A funny filled humorous story that little kids 3 to 8 will enjoy. Even my 10 year old was saying how funny it was.
We made jokes at the table and rhymes for days based on this cute little book.
Very enjoyable and I will be using it again when the occasion calls for it.
As a group read for a class it was actually great.
Not an everyday read but a special birthday/holidays read! It's longer than most Dr. Seuss.
GOT TO LOVE THE DOC!
Amelia
Nov 29, 2016 Amelia rated it it was amazing
This book creates a wonderful special atmosphere for a child's birthday. There is a special horn and a special bird that come to wish you a happy birthday. The bird knows your name and your address and he comes just to see YOU and say happy birthday! There is also a birthday flower jungle and a special birthday lunch. Dr. Suess makes birthdays truly magical with this book and I absolutely love it. A must read for a Dr. Suess unit or for a classroom birthday celebration.
Thinn Thinn
Oct 18, 2016 Thinn Thinn rated it it was amazing
'Katroo is the only place Birthday Birds grow.'
I wish I know about Katroo when I was young. Can they still send Birthday Birds to me for my coming birthday? I'm a little old now but still want Birthday Bird to come and visit me.

'If we didn't have birthdays, you wouldn't be you.
If you'd never been born, well then what would you do?
If you'd never been born, well then what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes!'
I think I'll be a p
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
I loved this book. My parents gave it to0 me for my 6th birthday.
Kalee Maneth
Sep 29, 2016 Kalee Maneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
Who doesn't like a good Dr. Seuss book picture book every now and then. We can always count on them to be different, but we need different every now and then. This is a fun take on happy birthday that could be so fun to read to your students on their birthday or own children. I know I want some Dr. Seuss in my classroom and in my opinion this is a great one.
Brooke Wagner
Jan 30, 2015 Brooke Wagner rated it really liked it
Happy Birthday to You! by Dr Seuss is a story of what happens in Katroo on your birthday. The Great Birthday Bird brings you through your birthday events from picking out a birthday pet to getting a time telling fish. The most important part through the whole story is that "I am I" and you should be happy to be you, for it is your birthday after all. And that as the day comes to a close you are a much happier you, even as your birthday ends.

Within the craft of this book you can see that Dr. Seus
Jessica LeBaron
Apr 26, 2015 Jessica LeBaron rated it really liked it
[image error]
Dr. Seuss

This Dr. Seuss book is all about birthdays in a place called Katroo. In Katroo, there is a birthday bird that comes on your birthday to treat you to an exciting day full of whatever your heart desires! First, you eat whatever you want on a Smorgasbord's back, and then you go to the Official Katroo Birthday Sounding-Off Place, where you scream to the world that you are you. The birthday bird makes it clear that if you were not you, you would be somethin
Abby Spiel
This Dr. Seuss book was so full of colors and illustrations, which I believe were more meaningful in this book than the text was. Happy Birthday to You is about a Birthday Bird who lives in a town called Katroo. The birthday bird flies around the town of Katroo and spends the day with children on their birthdays. He wakes them up, wishes them a happy birthday and makes sure that their day is special and all about them! He gives them a present, throws them a party and treats them with all sorts ...more
Seuss Lovers: Happy Birthday to You! 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 06:37PM
  • Mary Had a Little Lamp
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • The Happy Lion
  • The Bike Lesson
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Curious George Visits a Toy Store (Curious George New Adventures)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both ...more
More about Dr. Seuss...

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” 23908 likes
“A Wasn’t just isn't. He just isn't present. But you… You ARE YOU! And, now isn't that pleasant!” 65 likes