Start by marking “Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health” as Want to Read:
Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

Are you spiritually healthy or just spiritually busy?This book's 10 probing questions will help you look beyond your spiritual activity to assess the true state of your spiritual health and help you on your journey of spiritual transformation. See how the spiritual disciplines--including prayer, worship, and meditation--can take your spiritual health from fair to excellent ...more
Published February 27th 2014 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

Brian
Aug 22, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
This book is helpful for just about anyone in the christian faith whether you are in the peaks or in the valley. I've often said the hardest thing to do in life is walk with God in a world that hates him. (by him I mean the God of Bible not the one people make up for themselves).

The chapters:

1: Do you thirst for God?
2: Are you governed increasingly by God's word?
3: Are you more loving?
4: Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5: Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual & temporal n
Tim
Oct 26, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Complacency in our faith in God is a failing faith. It takes work to grow in our closeness to God. These questions help one see the importance to having a closer walk with God. To succeed in anything else we know it takes work, but why do we think we doing just fine to warm a spot on a pew and do nothing else. I want to grow in my faith in God and that is why I bought this book. The questions are good questions that challenge one's understanding of our spiritual health. I remember a few years ag ...more
Tina
Dec 04, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I liked this short 112 page book because it caused me to take a good look at my thoughts and actions - not always a pleasant experience, but necessary for those who want to grow more like Christ.

The author Donald Whitney writes, "In our day, as in theirs [the Puritans], the timeless process of discerning one's spiritual health involves questions and tests. My purpose in writing these pages is to act as a physician of the soul - to ask questions and suggest spiritual tests that can, by the help
Vaughn
Dec 03, 2011 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I left this book on the shelf for some time as past experience has shown similar books to often be written with a legalistic bent. Ah, how happy I was to see this book, by Mr. Whitney, was of a different sort. It was written with great care, clearity, and above all, Biblical soundness. The questions are relevant (noted below) and the helps offered are Scriptually accurate.

1 Do YOU THIRST FOR GOD?
2 ARE You GOVERNED INCREASINGLY BY GOD'S WORD?
3 ARE YOU MORE LOVING?
4 ARE YOU MORE SENSITIVE TO GOD'
Peter N.
Jul 20, 2016 Peter N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful dose of meat and potatoes Christianity. It is not amazing, but you will be healthier for reading it. Whitney is practical. His chapters are well outlined and usually end with some steps you can take to improve the area the chapter addressed. For example, at the end of his chapter on "Do You Delight in the Body of Christ" he gives two ways to express your delight in Christ's body. Besides being practical it is not very long, coming in at 131 pages.

As another reviewer said, any Christ
Sep 05, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Not gonna lie, when I saw all the positive reviews this book had I really wanted to be the first one to hate it. However, this book is positive, helpful, and well written, and succeeds in it's mission of allowing Christians to evaluate and grow their spiritual wellfare. It also succeeds in being both convicting and inoffensive. There was nothing particularly theologically difficult or controversial here, just ten questions that literally every Christian should ask themselves and answer honestly. ...more
Will Turner
Aug 07, 2016 Will Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Donald S. Whitney, Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health. (My Library) 138 pages. Whitney asks the following questions for us to assess our spiritual health: 1. Do you thirst for God? 2. Are you governed increasingly by God’s Word? 3. Are you more loving? 4. Are you more sensitive to God’s presence? 5. Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others? 6. Do you delight in the Bride of Christ? 7. Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you? 8. ...more
JoAnn Bell
While a good book for checking in on your growth as a Christian. I found several parts that use the wrong interpretation of scripture. Whitney seems to think repentance is more than just turning from sin. Therefore, giving one reason to believe he must keep doing it.

The whole chapter of "grieving for your sin" makes one think Jesus sacrifice was not good enough to cover sin...so you must feel condemned (aka grieved) when you mess up. The Bible clearly states the God sees us as righteous because
Joshua
Apr 17, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
A great book. Somewhat paradoxically, though the phrase 'not good enough' kept reoccurring mentally, it was a very encouraging read.
Mike E.
Over the years I have used the central question from each of the chapters for small group discussions, one-on-one discipleship, etc.

1: Do you thirst for God?
2: Are you governed increasingly by God's word?
3: Are you more loving?
4: Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5: Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual & temporal needs of others?
6: Do you delight in the bride of christ?
7: Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
8: Do you still grieve over sin?
9: Are you
Rob Sumrall
How is your spiritual life, Christian?

Most people would respond to such a question with mixed responses. In some areas we are doing well. In other areas we struggle greatly. In both responses we would probably include all sorts of caveats, justifying our struggles and hedging our bets on our successes.

In Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, Donald Whitney takes on the role of spiritual doctor and guides the leader through a self-diagnosis of their own spiritual health. He offers up t
Gavin Breeden
Oct 13, 2011 Gavin Breeden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
This book lives up to the promise of its title. Whitney asks questions that I've heard and used for years (and some that I haven't) to get the reader to think about their spiritual health. Questions like, Am I more loving to others than I used to be? Do I hate my sin more? Do I love the church more? Do I love Jesus more? Do I love the Word more? Do I forgive people faster than I used to? And so on.

Whitney asks probing questions to get you to really apply these questions to your life. In the proc
Jacob Coldwell
Jan 02, 2013 Jacob Coldwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten Questions to Diagnose your Spiritual Health

“Let your delight in imitating God be enough, regardless of the response your loving initiatives receive.” (p. 53)

This brief overview of ten questions for evaluation of one’s spiritual health is somewhat surprising to expound more fully on simply answering the question of the chapter. Donald Whitney dazed me by giving support through application to the answer a question. The book ends up being pretty straight forward to see the multiple angles of su
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Have you, like myself, wondered about your spiritual growth? Have you wished for a way to know whether you are growing in your walk with God or not? If so, this is a book you will enjoy! Whitney's 10 question guide will help you diagnose your spiritual health and in some cases, it may be the tool that diagnosis whether there is life at all.

I first heard about this book from several teachers at a Biblical counseling conference and was immediately intrigued by the idea of being able to
Joe
Mar 12, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 10 years ago and I can honestly say that I was yet pleasantly surprised how much this book opened the eyes of my understanding. The author poses 10 questions we need to ask ourselves regarding the health of our Christian walk. Each question, demands a response, and also points us toward practical ways to readjust our focus toward allowing that growth to happen. Growth takes time and is not a microwave process. Mediating and praying the word allow for this growth to happen ...more
Camille
Apr 14, 2015 Camille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. So good, in fact, that I bought the book and study guided based on the disciplines that we are to assess. This is a book that I'll be pulling out every so often as a refresher for myself to help me keep in the focus THE FOCUS.
Jason
Jun 03, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful for this book, for it provoked me to love and good works.
Jerry Bousard
Apr 22, 2016 Jerry Bousard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for a seminary course. Donald Whitney is great!
Linore
Aug 26, 2011 Linore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book for newer or veteran Christians. For newer ones, lots of sound advice. For those who've been in the faith much longer, there are still good sound principles to contemplate. Each chapter offers an area of faith to consider and weigh in terms of your own life and experience. I could see using this book as a guidebook for those who may wonder if they are getting involved in a cult as opposed to biblical Christianity.
Brent Meyers
He seems to quote more from the Puritans than from God's Word which is problematic for me as I want to know what God thinks of my spiritual health. For me it was difficult to mesh this diagnostic with Scripture and the work of the Holy Spirit. There were some helpful and instructive ideas in it.
Alicia
Apr 16, 2014 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing too earth-shattering in this book on sanctification from a Christian perspective. However, I did appreciate his chapter on forgiveness.

His thoughts on being ready to forgive versus extending forgiveness were thought-provoking. Do we forgive and forget? Do we forgive people who have never sought forgiveness? Good questions.
Josh
Apr 08, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite helpful, though it is written from a Reformed position. Each chapter presents a unique challenge to consider in light of spiritual growth. My favorite chapter is probably Delighting in the Bride of Christ because it challenged me to delight in church instead of viewing church as a duty. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
Diane
Apr 13, 2009 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful guideposts for the reader who likes lists, with such chapter themes as "Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?" and "Are you more sensitive to God's Presence?" Sub-points are highlighted in text, and are almost uniformly helpful in self-diagnosis or self-examination.
Ebookwormy
Our small group worked through this book for our summer study in 2007. The exercise was well recieved. I found the book to be clear and well written, the Biblical interpretation spot on and the subject matter challenging. I was also pleased at the level of discussion/ interaction we had as a group.
Emily Rickert
Jan 06, 2014 Emily Rickert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! convicting & encouraging. great book to read as a new year approaches.
Susan
Jul 10, 2009 Susan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've just begun this book. I think it's been called Richard Foster-light or Dallas Willard-light. Both my pastor & my friend who is a former pastor LOVE this author's books on Spiritual Disciplines (which I'll be reading next.)
Chuck
Nov 20, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical work on useful questions to assess one's spiritual growth. I particularly enjoyed the last chapter on one's longing for heaven and a desire to see God and His holiness.
Pam
Aug 25, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it probed my heart. I should reread this once a year just to have God challenge me in my walk with him.
Elizabeth
Really good questions to help you gauge where you are in your walk, why, and how to address it.
Jeff Noble
Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health by Donald S. Whitney (?)
Reformed Readers: Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health 10 24 Feb 24, 2013 06:33PM
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The Transforming Power of the Gospel
  • The Quest for Character
  • Money, Possessions and Eternity
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • Can I Have Joy In My Life? (Crucial Questions, #12)
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books
  • Loving God with All Your Mind: Thinking as a Christian in a Postmodern World
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
DON WHITNEY has been Professor of Biblical spirituality and Associate Dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY, since 2005. Before that, he held a similar position (the first such position in the six Southern Baptist seminaries) at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, for 10 years. He is the founder and president of The Center for Biblical Spiritua ...more
More about Donald S. Whitney...

“Thus no other object on earth is as valuable as the Bible, for nothing else can provide anything as essential or eternal.” 1 likes
“Too much attention to a particular sin or sins, and/or too little attention to communion with God (two things that often occur in tandem) inevitably shrivel the soul of a Christian.” 1 likes