Start by marking “Salome” as Want to Read:
Salome

Salome

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  20 reviews
If I'd never hoped to live in a world of goodness and truth—if the priestess of Diana, then Leander, and Joanna, hadn't shown me glimpses of it—maybe I wouldn't have minded being shut out of it. Maybe the preacher's death wouldn't have trapped me in a dungeon, the dungeon of my own self.

Her name is Salome. You may think you know her story—how her seductive Dance of the Sev
Published September 9th 2008 by Laurel Leaf (first published April 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Salome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salome

Arya
When Salome's mother becomes involved with Antipas, a high political official in ancient Rome, Salome begins to see her mother for what she is, a jealous and power hungry woman. But after spending her whole life practically worshipping the ground Herodias walked on, even thinking of them as sisters, it is hard for Salome to accept. But as Antipas's sights switch from mother to daughter, there is no denying Herodias's cruelty to her Salome.

As Salome realizes that power and seduction are the two m
Courtney
i enjoyed this. but then, i've always been fascinated with the "bad girls" of the bible. i'm not usually a huge fan of historical fiction, but the fact that this was more ancient historical fiction made it a lot more interesting. really, not all that much is known about salome except for her lineage and role in john the baptist's death. it is interesting to wonder what would drive a teenage girl to ask for an innocent man's head on a platter and this book does a good job of connecting historical ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
After I read this historical novel about Salome, the girl who demanded the head of John the Baptist, I picked up the New Testament to read how the Biblical account compared with the novel. To my surprise, Salome is not mentioned by name, and the accounts (only two--in Matthew and Luke) are brief. Gormley did a lot of research into the history and cultures of the time to flesh out the Blblical bare bones of this story. Her Salome is a somewhat naive young girl who gradually comes to realize that ...more
Rachel
Fabulous book! I loved reading this story from Salome's perspective.
Jes
I really loved the Red Tent and since then I have been interested in tales about women in the Bible. Granted my religious education is pretty much non-existant, so all I knew of Salome was that she had John the Baptist's head served up on the plate...and the quick version given by the Salome character in True Blood. My biggest impression previous to this book came from the rather graphic picture of a pretty woman looking at a head dripping blood on a platter in my CHILDREN'S Bible.

So I came in t
Meredith
The misleading cover depicts Salome as preteen girl playing dress-up in the 1980's rather than a young woman living in the Roman Empire at the beginning of the Common Era, so the reader might not expect this to be the story of the Salome who did the dance of seven veils for her step-father, a King Herod, and then asked for the head of John the Baptist on a platter as a reward. (Her mother put her up to it, the poor little fool.)

Salome is mediocre historical fiction on an interesting subject. The
T.R. Horne
I really, really enjoyed this book. I was surprised that I even found it interesting because historical/biblical novels are like the death ray to a reader like me. I loved the way the writer kept the flow and the wording in step with the times. I do understand that some people who are raving historians may find the story lacking in some areas but if you read it with an open mind and for the sheer enjoyment, you will find yourself flipping pages so easily that you won't realize you've come to the ...more
Angela
I won this book through Goodreads Giveaways. Mid-way through the book I was thinking that I didn't like this book that much because Salome, the primary character was a young girl that was passive and without depth, and so far the story was an overview of what was happening around her and TO her; however, the last few chapters were redemptive and interesting: Salome sees her mother and step-father for what they are and despite limitations of her age, experience, and the culture and time in which ...more
Rebecca Huenink
I didn't realize this was a young adult novel when I began reading it. Even so, for many who don't have a solid grasp on life in the early A.D. time, this drew a nice picture of the viewpoint from that of a young princess. Whether Salome was as naive in reality is hard to know, but the author is careful to add the facts that do exist to the post script, something I appreciate.
Salome is the daughter of Herodias, one of many in the large family of King Herod. Forced to do as she is told, and livin
Beth Wiley
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was intrigued by it because it went along the same path as The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, that is a historical fiction novel based around a woman in the bible. I thoroghly enjoyed the description and historical references around the story. It was a quick read (YA) but I felt like I learned something! However, I have 3 daughters that all read YA books and not sure they would enjoy this due to the historical nature. It would be a great school read, w ...more
Jennifer Swanson
interesting book - enjoyed the more in-depth look at biblical characters
Mary Steiner
Apr 28, 2014 Mary Steiner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult, historical fiction,bible
Recommended to Mary by: won on goodreads first reads
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads. I didn't realize this was a young adult read when I entered to win this book so I sat it aside to read when I had nothing else. To my surprise I found it very enjoyable. My knowledge of the Bible is sketchy from my long ago childhood but it seemed right to my rememberance.
Krystle
Salome was fantastic. I don’t usually read historical fictions, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book. I found Salome to be an interesting character with an overwhelming need to please her mother. About half way through the book I couldn’t put it down.
Nikson
Very easy to read, and quite fun. Very short. Definitely a young-adult book. It was fun to "link up" this book with another book, Claudia, daughter of rome, because of overlapping characters.

I did not sleep well after reading this book.

Actual rating: 3.8
Joy
Won the book on Good Reads. I did like how the author went into details of what her life was like. Watching how her mother treated her and the unfolding of her Innocence. Sad that she asked for the head of John.
Vicki
A fictional look at the great granddaughter of Herod and her role in the death of John the Baptist and how she lives her life afterward. Ok
Karla
The perspective of the young woman who was responsible for the beheading of John the Baptist. YA Fiction.
Kara
Jul 06, 2008 Kara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-biblical
The book that answers the question - why did she ask for his head on a plate?
Sarah Elliott
A great quick read! Definitely more fiction then historical accuracy.
Shanna Smith
Viewpoint of Salome as a teen. Not too bad
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Grace Watts
Grace Watts is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Deborah Pickstone
Deborah Pickstone marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Stiina Sild
Stiina Sild marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Alannysgreyjoy
Alannysgreyjoy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Samantha Bartruff
Samantha Bartruff marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Delilah
  • The Yellow Packard
  • Men Among Sirens
  • The Apprentice's Masterpiece: A Story of Medieval Spain
  • Unrepentant: The Strange and (Sometimes) Terrible Life of Lorne Campbell, Satan's Choice and Hells Angels Biker
  • Rabenlady
  • How It's Done
  • P.S. I'm Pregnant
  • The Princess Within for Teens: Discovering Your Royal Inheritance
  • Rahab's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Jezebel
  • Fire Season (Frank Coffin Mysteries, #3)
  • Appalachian Carnival
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson
  • Troubadour
  • Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environmental Politics
Born in Glendale, California, Beatrice grew up in Southern California. After graduating from Pomona College, she worked in publishing near San Francisco. There she met and married Robert Gormley, and they moved to Massachusetts. They have two daughters.
Since age 9 Beatrice had wanted to become a writer. But it wasn't until after her children were born that she really focused on her writing. In 1
More about Beatrice Gormley...
Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans) Mail-Order Wings Louisa May Alcott: Young Novelist (Childhood of Famous Americans) Amelia Earhart: Young Aviator Poisoned Honey: A Story of Mary Magdalene