Start by marking “Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Chocolate

Chocolate

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Our unique, kid-friendly Smart About series continues with something for your sweet tooth! Smart About Chocolate is "chock-full" of fun facts about the history of chocolate, from the Mayans to Milton Hershey! Kids will learn how chocolate comes from beans of the rain forest's cacao treesand how candymakers in England and Switzerland first produced the chocolate we know and ...more
Published December 29th 2004 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate

Ms. Mielke's Class
This book is actually very informational the cover doesn't look very informational but like they always say don't judge a book by its cover It actually taught me a lot of things about chocolate I definitely recommend this book to anybody that doesn't know a lot about chocolate because this book really tells you a lot. AV

This book is a pretty good book it tells you a lot of information. What I liked the most about this book is that it tells you how chocolate is made and I didn't know that. The th
Ramanda Flannery
This book is about a little girl who is given an assignment to write a report on anything of her choice. She chose chocolate. She found many interesting facts about chocolcate. She wrote about cocoa trees, what the beans on the trees look like, and that most of the cocoa beans came from Africa. She also wrote about how chocolate used to be very rare and only rich people could afford them. She also wrote that the Myans were the first chocoholics, that the Aztecs used it as money, and that chocola ...more
Jess
Oct 25, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary school kids
Recommended to Jess by: can't remember
Set up like a child's report for school, this is a breeze to read through. I go back and for on this sort of NF--it's fun, but doesn't have that authentic, NF feel. The whole thing is too, I don't know, casual.

That isn't to say kids won't like reading it. I'm certain they will.

So, still interesting. My favorite bits of trivia:
1) chocolate was used as money
2)Milton Hershey was a pretty awesome guy. When he built his town, he kept workers in mind. He included parks, schools, a zoo, a community c
Teri
Yummy book! Loved the history of chocolate and all the cool information.
Shelbi Bishop
In this book, you learn lots of fun facts about the history of chocolate, from the Mayans to Milton Hershey! Kids will learn how chocolate comes from beans of the rain forest's cacao trees and how candymakers in England and Switzerland first produced the chocolate we know and love today.

This book is written as if a student had written it, making it easy for students to understand and take interest in. I would use this book to introduce informative writing to a group of students.
Jessica
We love chocolate too so when I saw this book at the book fair we had to get it. Whit likes to read it and Ryan likes to eat chocolate every time we read it. Interesting thing we learned was that the Swiss are the biggest chocolate eaters in the world. They eat 22lbs per person. Wow!! Of course this doesn't count the chocolate that Jean's mom sends to me!!! I am sure this distorts the total. Lots of interesting facts about chocolate.
Gordon Pennington
Smart About Chocolate: A Sweet History is a very informative book concerning everything chocolate. The book is set up like a student's project, which gives it an easy and smooth transition between topics, as well as a sense of humor. The book is age appropriate and full of many different facts. I would recommend anyone of any age to read this, as there is sure to be some (chocolate) nugget of wisdom that the reader was unaware of.
Melissa Sommer
This book told the history of chocolate and where it came from. It starts out with a young girls report she did about chocolate. I loved how creative and well written the book was. The book kept my attention also. I liked that you could use this book with just about any subject in your class, there are so many uses for this book.
Brittney
This is a wonderful book based on the history of chocolate. I enjoyed this informational book. I would love to read this to my class. It is historical and informational. It shows the students how chocolate was discovered and where it stands today.
Katie Clark
A great book that introduces the history of chocolate in the point of view of a young student reading her class report. A good book for children in third grade and up that gives fun information about the history of a favored snack.
Stephanie Allen
This book is written as a girl giving a report about chocolate. This book could be tied into many different topics not only chocolate. It discusses ancient civilizations, economics (chocolate money), recipes and much more.
Rym
Apr 30, 2013 Rym rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rym by: Hoda Marmar
Shelves: borrowed
It's really nice. I knew nothing about The History Of Chocolate before reading this book! 50 cups of chocolate a day?? :O That's insane!
This book is fun and short. Kids will like it, I'm sure ;)
Andria
This book taught even me things about chocolate that I had no idea of before. Very interesting way to teach children about things that they have in their lives but about things that they might not know.
Kayla Schum
This book was an informational book about the history of chocolate. I think that it would be great to use in the classroom because most children and even adults dont know much about the history of chocolate.
$^u+!
this is a really young-person-friendly book! it really came in handy when i had to write a report on chocolate...
the book uncovers never-before-seen secrets about chocolate...(dramatic music)....
Ashley Fortson
This book is a fun book to read to children. Not only does it talk about chocolate which most people love, it also give the history of how chocolate came about. Kids will enjoy learning about this.
Nancy
I like this "Smart About Chocolate" book. It was amusing and informational and mixed the two together in a great way. I may have to look into this series and get a few sets for my classroom. :-)
Katie Curry
This book is the report on chocolate a young girl wrote for a class project.
I would use this book to introduce a writing project and for presenting facts and the history of chocolate.
Amy Burch
A fun way to give information. This book is written to look like a girl's report on chocolate. IT has a lot of interesting statitics. A great book to read for almost any subject.
Rose
This book was all about chocolate. It goes into the history and science of chocolate. It is written as a little girl's journal so it is an interesting read.
Lynn
I really think this book is great for kids. It tells the story of chocolate in a nice kids' way like a book report. A nice book for the classroom.
Hannah Cobb
Colorful graphics, bright colors, and images of plenty of tasty treats accompany this thorough elementary-grades appropriate history of chocolate.
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
PC
PC marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Familyarrington
Familyarrington marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sandra Markle is the author of more than two hundred children's books, which have won numerous awards, including Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book, IRA/CBC Children's Choice, NSTA/CBC Outstanding Trade Books for Children, NCTE Orbis Pictus Recommended, and ALA Notable Books for Children. She lives in Lakewood Ranch, Florida and frequently travels to schools sharing her program "Sandra Markle's Boo ...more
More about Sandra Markle...
The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery What If You Had Animal Teeth!? The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery How Many Baby Pandas? What If You Had Animal Hair?