Start by marking “Claymore, Vol. 9: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)” as Want to Read:
Claymore, Vol. 9: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)

Claymore, Vol. 9: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (クレイモア / Claymore #9)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,424 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Clare and her fellow Claymores Galatea and Jean must battle the Awakened Beings that are holding them captive. In the process, they find their captors' true motive: by torturing the warriors, they want to force them to awaken, and join them in a gathering of Yoma. Will Clare and her comrades be able to defeat the Awakened Beings without becoming one themselves?
Published August 7th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Claymore, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claymore, Vol. 9

Ana Mardoll
Dec 01, 2012 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Claymore, Vol. 9 / 978-1421510514

I've watched the Claymore anime before following the manga, and I absolutely love both. I love the crisp, clean, black-and-white artwork, and I'm finding that the "action" panels are getting easier to follow as I progress into the series -- I think that the artists behind this series are truly talented and skilled at conveying a complex story and wonderfully emotive characters.

And, on an excited side note, I notice now that the entire series is available in e-bo
Feather Mista
Jun 26, 2012 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios, supongo
Recommended to Feather by: Heli Miranda ahumada
No me acuerdo ni moco de qué traía este tomo, pero por lo que veo está entre mis favoritos. Obviamente el imbécil de Librarian que arrasó con las ediciones internacionales borró la de Glénat también, así que chau descripción en castellano.

Espero poder retomar la serie uno de estos años, así Helí no me reta tanto.
The_Mad_Swede
Mar 04, 2017 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, manga
The events of The Witch's Maw in volume 8 lead directly into the four-parter The Deep Abyss of Purgatory, which opens this volume. Here we learn more about the secrets of Yoma and the Organisation (who are behind the Claymores), and about the Awakened Beings, as Clare and her fellow Claymores fight on bravely for their very life.

The volume closes with the first two chapters of the next arc, The Battle of the North, which sees Clare sent North with another group of Claymores, on a hunt for anothe
Bhavik
Mar 08, 2017 Bhavik rated it it was amazing
Wow so this differs from anime now and I really like the change in perspective!
Katherine Wren
Jan 10, 2017 Katherine Wren rated it it was amazing
This series continues to get better.
Mandy Sickle
Claymore is a manga about Yoma who pretend to be human in order to kill and eat the humans. The Claymore are the hybrid of the two stronger faster but still human with the ability to slay the Yoma which they do for a price. They travel from village to village slaying Yoma with nothing but the sword on their back using the Yoma abilities but slowly turning into a monster that they hunt. When the time comes a Claymore will send a black card to another claymore to be slain before the Yoma takes ove ...more
Mike
Oct 11, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
While volume 9 technically starts a "new" arc it is an immediate continuation of the last one and the series in general builds off all that has come before. This is not the place to start reading - go back to the beginning.

The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (complete: parts 1-4) is a direct follow up to The Witch's Maw. The power balance between the three Creatures of the Abyss has shifted and Riful of the West has been torturing Claymores to try to gain awakened followers. Clare and Galatea are desper
Karissa
Jun 03, 2014 Karissa rated it really liked it
This is the ninth volume in the Claymore series. This has been a consistently well done fantasy manga series. I have really enjoyed the world, the characters, and the plot. There is a lot of action and some more story development in this installment.

This book continues the fight between Clare, Galatea and the witch Riful’s evil Yoma Dauf. Jean is the only one strong enough to pierce Dauf’s hide, so Galatea buys time while Clare rescues Jean from the dungeon. While they are unable to defeat Dauf
Anne Freya
Nov 29, 2015 Anne Freya rated it it was amazing
 photo Claymore.jpg

Maybe it's because of this illustration by Yagi-sensei that I started to view Jean and Clare as a couple, or maybe because there's a strong chemistry between them... Although maybe the latter can be me imagining it wildly, lol, but really, I never try to pairing two girls together before, albeit a fujoshi myself, lol. Well yeah, I love to read BL, and after several shoujo-ai and yuri I came to a conclusion that I don't really like shoujo-ai and yuri and never try to read them anymore (dunno if
MissAnnThrope
Feb 21, 2013 MissAnnThrope rated it really liked it
21 February 2013

Woohoo! Old friends are back and some new ones are made in Claymore: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory, Vol. 9. This volume is chock full of exciting action. The kooky Creature of the Abyss, Riful, gives us a taste of her frightening powers, which makes me fearful for our dear Claymores to face Isley, the Silver King, in the North.

(view spoiler)
Yoon
Feb 27, 2010 Yoon rated it really liked it
Trevor
Aug 18, 2007 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-mangia
Volume 9 continues Clare’s journey to execute rogue awakened beings who have captured her fellow Claymores. The beings’ goal: to force their captives to awaken and form an unstoppable army of demon hybrids. A good deal of human vs. monster violence and few panels of brief female/female monster nudity gave Viz reason to publish Claymore in their line of Shonen Jump Advanced manga for older readers (16+). The storyline, action, and beautiful representation of the Claymores will attract many manga ...more
Wickedshizuku
Apr 19, 2009 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga fans, Anime fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Anime-planet.com
This volume starts off with Chapter 46: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory, Pt. 1.
At the end of the last volume Riful of the West spilled the beans that she knew the whereabouts of Pricilla. Clair literally her composure, and demands that Riful tells her where that woman is. Riful challenges Clair if she can land one blow on her that she will tell her.
Later in the volume though is probably my favorite because the old team is reunited, and induct a new member. This is also one of the more confusing Ar
Dylan Murphy
Apr 27, 2013 Dylan Murphy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Ah man, another great volume here. Yagi Norihiro has really set the standards for one of the longest running manga series I own(especially since I am not usually a fan of the really long running ones!)
Each volume builds on the last so well, from character progression to overall plot, and you can even tell he is getting better and better as an artist!
Here we see the epic conclusion to the Deep Abyss of Purgatory arc, and the start of the end. The War in the North!
Oh man but this is going to be fu
machinaheart
Four to five stars for Claymore in general because ... SO MUCH! I guess individual volumes range from three to five, but at the moment I can't properly rate them individually because I ploughed through the manga re-reading a lot and just inhaling the newer volumes. I couldn't stop.
Super intriguing dystopia, mysteries over mysteries without getting less interesting, extremely creative body horror (ranging from beautifully other to horribly disgusting), carving your own path (sometimes, most often
Nick
May 27, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
This volume concludes a major battle but then also provides some major filler as it goes through a painstakingly bulk character introduction to get to the next story arc up north with Claire joining a new and rather large squad of Claymores. It's possibly a good arc, but nothing has happened yet, and the constant squabbling of egos is maybe getting a bit tired (it's like a team of top-level athletes who just can't seem to get along for anything). Again, the real reason for this album's marks are ...more
Joy
Feb 07, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Mona Loise
Dec 12, 2016 Mona Loise rated it really liked it
Oh man....
Alx_zero
May 05, 2013 Alx_zero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómic-manga
Y llegamos a la que será, supongo, la trama en torno a lo que girará el resto de la serie: la guerra entre las criaturas del abismo. Seres de una fuerza imposible ante los que las Claymore poco van a poder hacer.
Ash
Aug 02, 2011 Ash rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-manga
The previous book was a total fail. So what about this one.
I can see that this book is the first step to the beginning of the REAL plot. I really enjoyed this volume,amazing art and story... what more you want other than that in mangas. Probably best Manga series EVER.
ruka
Nov 25, 2011 ruka rated it it was amazing
The story is suspenseful and the art is worthy of being framed. I love the depictions of the awakened beings, and the detail put into the sketches. Claymore is an excellent manga.
Logan Simpson
Nov 12, 2014 Logan Simpson rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I love this series. The artwork is nice, the fight scenes are epic, and the story line just keeps getting better. Eager for volume 10.
Burak
Aug 10, 2013 Burak rated it it was amazing
Detaylı yorumu buradan okuyabilirsiniz :)

Lauren
Feb 14, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
What a dramatic series! Claire is such a strong female character and I loved to see how much she grew throughout the series. Her story was so tragic and heartbreaking along with everyone else's.
Sara
Apr 20, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
We have the name of the Awakened One that now only know the location of Priscilla, but has Raki too. Things are getting complex and tense.
Joyzi
Nov 25, 2011 Joyzi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga fans
Recommended to Joyzi by: mangaepub
The last arc was really a bridge. The battle of the north is the main arc here. We met new characters (Undine, Flora, etc.) and we're reunited with Miria, Deneve and Helen.
Dorin
Jul 15, 2016 Dorin rated it liked it
Confusing. The battles are generally confusing, and I think this is the lowest point in the series as far as story telling goes.
Alex G
Oct 02, 2014 Alex G rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, manga
Getting talky, but the battle with Riful of the West was pretty cool. 24 claymores! How can I keep track of all of them!

Now yagi is upping the ante.
Kereesa
Oh Jean I do love you. Why can't you be crazy like Ophelia?

No? Well your stoic personality is still pretty wonderful for some odd reason.

4.5/5
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Berserk, Vol. 13
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund Vol 8
Norihiro Yagi (八木 教広 Yagi Norihiro) is a Japanese manga writer and artist from Okinawa Prefecture. He started making manga in 1990.

Norihiro Yagi is a successful manga artist, having won the 32nd Akatsuka Award for his very first work, Undeadman. Undeadman appeared in Monthly Shōnen Jump and has had two sequels. Yagi's first serialized manga was his comedy-genre Angel Densetsu, which appeared in Mo
More about Norihiro Yagi...

クレイモア / Claymore (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Claymore, Vol. 1: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 2: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore, #2)
  • Claymore, Vol. 3: Teresa of the Faint Smile (Claymore, #3)
  • Claymore, Vol. 4: Marked for the Death (Claymore, #4)
  • Claymore, Vol. 5: The Slashers (Claymore, #5)
  • Claymore, Vol. 6: The Endless Gravestones (Claymore, #6)
  • Claymore, Vol. 7: Fit for Battle (Claymore, #7)
  • Claymore, Vol. 8: The Witch's Maw (Claymore, #8)
  • Claymore, Vol. 10: The Battle of the North (Claymore, #10)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)

“办理美国毕业证书Q\微信744043126科罗拉多州立大学毕业证书、CSU毕业证书成绩单、文凭学历学位认证Colorado State University