Start by marking “Claymore, Vol. 09: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)” as Want to Read:
Claymore, Vol. 09: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)

Claymore, Vol. 09: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore #9)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,083 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Clare and her fellow Claymores Galatea and Jean must battle the Awakened Beings that are holding them captive. In the process, they find their captors' true motive: by torturing the warriors, they want to force them to awaken, and join them in a gathering of Yoma. Will Clare and her comrades be able to defeat the Awakened Beings without becoming one themselves?
Published August 7th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Claymore, Vol. 09, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claymore, Vol. 09

Ana Mardoll
Claymore, Vol. 9 / 978-1421510514

I've watched the Claymore anime before following the manga, and I absolutely love both. I love the crisp, clean, black-and-white artwork, and I'm finding that the "action" panels are getting easier to follow as I progress into the series -- I think that the artists behind this series are truly talented and skilled at conveying a complex story and wonderfully emotive characters.

And, on an excited side note, I notice now that the entire series is available in e-bo
Karissa
This is the ninth volume in the Claymore series. This has been a consistently well done fantasy manga series. I have really enjoyed the world, the characters, and the plot. There is a lot of action and some more story development in this installment.

This book continues the fight between Clare, Galatea and the witch Riful’s evil Yoma Dauf. Jean is the only one strong enough to pierce Dauf’s hide, so Galatea buys time while Clare rescues Jean from the dungeon. While they are unable to defeat Dauf
Federiken Masters
Jul 03, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios, supongo
Recommended to Federiken by: Heli Miranda ahumada
No me acuerdo ni moco de qué traía este tomo, pero por lo que veo está entre mis favoritos. Obviamente el imbécil de Librarian que arrasó con las ediciones internacionales borró la de Glénat también, así que chau descripción en castellano.

Espero poder retomar la serie uno de estos años, así Helí no me reta tanto.
machinaheart
Four to five stars for Claymore in general because ... SO MUCH! I guess individual volumes range from three to five, but at the moment I can't properly rate them individually because I ploughed through the manga re-reading a lot and just inhaling the newer volumes. I couldn't stop.
Super intriguing dystopia, mysteries over mysteries without getting less interesting, extremely creative body horror (ranging from beautifully other to horribly disgusting), carving your own path (sometimes, most often
MissAnnThrope
21 February 2013

Woohoo! Old friends are back and some new ones are made in Claymore: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory, Vol. 9. This volume is chock full of exciting action. The kooky Creature of the Abyss, Riful, gives us a taste of her frightening powers, which makes me fearful for our dear Claymores to face Isley, the Silver King, in the North.

(view spoiler)
Mike
Nov 11, 2013 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
While volume 9 technically starts a "new" arc it is an immediate continuation of the last one and the series in general builds off all that has come before. This is not the place to start reading - go back to the beginning.

The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (complete: parts 1-4) is a direct follow up to The Witch's Maw. The power balance between the three Creatures of the Abyss has shifted and Riful of the West has been torturing Claymores to try to gain awakened followers. Clare and Galatea are desper
Yoon
Feb 27, 2010 Yoon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Lauren
What a dramatic series! Claire is such a strong female character and I loved to see how much she grew throughout the series. Her story was so tragic and heartbreaking along with everyone else's.
Dylan Murphy
Ah man, another great volume here. Yagi Norihiro has really set the standards for one of the longest running manga series I own(especially since I am not usually a fan of the really long running ones!)
Each volume builds on the last so well, from character progression to overall plot, and you can even tell he is getting better and better as an artist!
Here we see the epic conclusion to the Deep Abyss of Purgatory arc, and the start of the end. The War in the North!
Oh man but this is going to be fu
Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats)
Aug 24, 2015 Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga fans, Anime fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Anime-planet.com
This volume starts off with Chapter 46: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory, Pt. 1.
At the end of the last volume Riful of the West spilled the beans that she knew the whereabouts of Pricilla. Clair literally her composure, and demands that Riful tells her where that woman is. Riful challenges Clair if she can land one blow on her that she will tell her.
Later in the volume though is probably my favorite because the old team is reunited, and induct a new member. This is also one of the more confusing Ar
Trevor
Volume 9 continues Clare’s journey to execute rogue awakened beings who have captured her fellow Claymores. The beings’ goal: to force their captives to awaken and form an unstoppable army of demon hybrids. A good deal of human vs. monster violence and few panels of brief female/female monster nudity gave Viz reason to publish Claymore in their line of Shonen Jump Advanced manga for older readers (16+). The storyline, action, and beautiful representation of the Claymores will attract many manga ...more
Nick
This volume concludes a major battle but then also provides some major filler as it goes through a painstakingly bulk character introduction to get to the next story arc up north with Claire joining a new and rather large squad of Claymores. It's possibly a good arc, but nothing has happened yet, and the constant squabbling of egos is maybe getting a bit tired (it's like a team of top-level athletes who just can't seem to get along for anything). Again, the real reason for this album's marks are ...more
Logan
Nov 19, 2014 Logan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I love this series. The artwork is nice, the fight scenes are epic, and the story line just keeps getting better. Eager for volume 10.
Joy
Ash
The previous book was a total fail. So what about this one.
I can see that this book is the first step to the beginning of the REAL plot. I really enjoyed this volume,amazing art and story... what more you want other than that in mangas. Probably best Manga series EVER.
Alx_zero
Y llegamos a la que será, supongo, la trama en torno a lo que girará el resto de la serie: la guerra entre las criaturas del abismo. Seres de una fuerza imposible ante los que las Claymore poco van a poder hacer.
ruka
The story is suspenseful and the art is worthy of being framed. I love the depictions of the awakened beings, and the detail put into the sketches. Claymore is an excellent manga.
Joyzi
Nov 25, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans
Recommended to Joyzi by: mangaepub
The last arc was really a bridge. The battle of the north is the main arc here. We met new characters (Undine, Flora, etc.) and we're reunited with Miria, Deneve and Helen.
Alex G
Getting talky, but the battle with Riful of the West was pretty cool. 24 claymores! How can I keep track of all of them!

Now yagi is upping the ante.
Kereesa
Oh Jean I do love you. Why can't you be crazy like Ophelia?

No? Well your stoic personality is still pretty wonderful for some odd reason.

4.5/5
Sara
We have the name of the Awakened One that now only know the location of Priscilla, but has Raki too. Things are getting complex and tense.
Amait
regardless of some X-rated material this story is outstanding to its core messages ! after Manga vol 10 watch animation
Vim
Dec 02, 2011 Vim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Calm before the storm.
Kevin
Kevin added it
Aug 31, 2015
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Berserk, Vol. 14
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Black Cat: The Price of Happiness, Vol. 6 (Black Cat, #6)
  • Elfen Lied Vol. 9
Norihiro Yagi (八木 教広 Yagi Norihiro) is a Japanese manga writer and artist from Okinawa Prefecture. He started making manga in 1990.

Norihiro Yagi is a successful manga artist, having won the 32nd Akatsuka Award for his very first work, Undeadman. Undeadman appeared in Monthly Shōnen Jump and has had two sequels. Yagi's first serialized manga was his comedy-genre Angel Densetsu, which appeared in Mo
More about Norihiro Yagi...

Claymore (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Claymore, Vol. 01: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 02: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore, #2)
  • Claymore, Vol. 03: Teresa of the Faint Smile (Claymore, #3)
  • Claymore, Vol. 04: Marked for the Death (Claymore, #4)
  • Claymore, Vol. 05: The Slashers (Claymore, #5)
  • Claymore, Vol. 06: The Endless Gravestones (Claymore, #6)
  • Claymore, Vol. 07: Fit for Battle (Claymore, #7)
  • Claymore, Vol. 08: The Witch´s Maw (Claymore, #8)
  • Claymore, Vol. 10: The Battle of the North (Claymore, #10)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
Claymore, Vol. 01: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1) Claymore, Vol. 03: Teresa of the Faint Smile (Claymore, #3) Claymore, Vol. 02: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore, #2) Claymore, Vol. 08: The Witch´s Maw (Claymore, #8) Claymore, Vol. 05: The Slashers (Claymore, #5)