Start by marking “O que é uma Igreja Saudável?” as Want to Read:
O que é uma Igreja Saudável?

O que é uma Igreja Saudável?

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  55 reviews
What is an ideal church, and how can you tell?

How does it look different from other churches? More importantly, how does it act differently, especially in society? Many of us aren't sure how to answer those questions, even though we probably have some preconceived idea. But with this book, you don't have to wonder any more.

Author Mark Dever seeks to help believers recogniz
Published 2009 by Editora Fiel

To ask other readers questions about O que é uma Igreja Saudável?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O que é uma Igreja Saudável?

Adam
"You and I cannot demonstrate love or joy or peace or patience or kindness sitting all by ourselves on an island. No, we demonstrate it when the people we have committed to loving give us good reasons not to love them, but we do anyway."

In this small book, Mark Dever surveys the role of the Church (and the church) in the lives of the Christian. He shows how life in the "body of Christ" is a vital component of Christianity.

I think the thing I liked most about the book is that it is very practical
Marguerite Harrell
I am reading this book for the second time. I am trying to encourage other to join church since they aren't going to church but staying at home. It is sad to see my Christian friends being burned out from going to church. How can we encourage one another to start going to church again? Looking forward to finish this book later this week. I know this is a great book and I do wish that every people that is currently not going to church to read this book and those who are currently looking for the ...more
Steve
Dever's book does what it claims; it explains the "ingredients" necessary for producing a healthy local church. His explanations are generally convincing, but some views (a tendency, in places, to conflate spiritual gifts and offices in the church...typical of many professional clergy [I understand the suggested reasons for doing so, but remain unconvinced]). Dever also, while supportive of a strong NT understanding of plurality in church leadership, seems to still support a measure of congregat ...more
Troy
A great little book on what a healthy church looks like. What I appreciated about it was that it was not a dissertation on how to become a healthy church, though you should take the markers of health and strive to make them a reality in your church, instead it was a picture of the things that would be evident in a community that was healthy. This book was short and easy to read, a great resource for anyone in the church.
Heather
This book is highly reccomended, don't worry, it's a quick read.

What is essential in a local church? What is important? What really doesn't matter?
I'm seeing the local church in a whole new way! I don't mean to say Mark is writing things I've never heard before, he's just putting them all together for me. I've been humbled by this book and can't say enough about it.
B
I enjoyed this book despite having listened to the 9 marks series. I found it to be just the right size to use as a sort of handbook or to give to someone considering a church situation or looking for a church. The content is solidly planted in the Bible & concisely & clearly presented.
This is an excellent little book on the "why and how" of a healthy church. I read it to be reminded and encouraged of the importance of the local church, and was.
Elizabeth Li
Small book yet impactful. Mark Dever has no wasted words in this short read on the topic of a healthy church. He is very helpful with the practical and thought-provoking points of considerations for leaving or staying with a church and marks to look for in a healthy church. In this age when there's a lot of confusion about the church, this was a refreshing read as it brings such clarity on the identity of "church" and how to increasingly become healthier as a church. Excellent read on the subjec ...more
Brian Pate
An easy, fast read. Cliff notes version of "Nine Marks of a Healthy Church" (Crossway, 2004).

Random things that stood out to me:

- "God has given so many [spiritual] gifts precisely so that those gifts might be used in response to the sin of other Christians in the church. My sins give you a chance to exercise your gifts" (p. 29).
- Without expositional preaching, "the church will slowly be conformed to the image of the pastor, rather than to the image of God" (p. 66).
- "By calling someone a m
Tim
This book is a slimmed down version of 9 Marks of a Healthy Church without loosing any of the core content. Dever presents the biblical case for what a healthy church. He defines a healthy church as one that is increasingly reflecting God’s character as his character has been revealed in his Word.

A healthy church requires three essential marks: expositional preaching, biblical theology, biblical understanding of the Gospel. Six other important marks are a biblical understanding of: conversion,
John
This mini-book is an excellent primer for everything a church should be. Caution to those who might be a bit nervous regarding theological discussion of conversion--Dever's description and analysis of conversion is well stated, biblical and every believer should take his assessment into consideration. Dever does a good job defending his thesis that A healthy church is a congregation that increasingly reflects God's character as his character has been revealed in his Word. The book is pastorally ...more
Tori
I got a copy of this book because a church I was visiting was doing a Biblestudy on it. (Perfect timing to read it, since I'm currently church searching). I really really really liked it. I think everyone has their own ideas of a perfect church, and what they want out of a church. But this book really layed a new foundation of how I viewed church and why I should be a member of a church (something I hadn't really thought much about in the past). It was a very easy read with a lot of information, ...more
Mitch Nichols
Basic, practical and applicable for both church leaders and the congregation. This is the abridged version of his full-length book "Nine Marks of a Healthy Church" and serves as a good primer for small group discussion. I appreciated brief discussion on plurality of elders and the bullet points on "What Growth Does and Doesn't Look Like". I appreciate Dever challenging the reader to ponder what do they value most in a church as well as the list of questions to ask and pray over when you are cons ...more
Ben
A good, quick, balanced book on healthy churches. Dever backs his 9 marks biblically. Pray for your church, your pastor, your elders and your fellow members. The local church is the hope of the world.
Isaac Gallaway
Helpful read and worth the short time it takes to read it. Quality work and thoughts for those going into the ministry, already serving, or interested in the church itself.
James B
One of those I would say is a must-read for all Christian leaders who wants to partake in building of a healthy church. Like many books in the series, the book is found on biblical principles supported by the scriptures and concise to the points. It has enough illustrations and examples of what it looks like. I felt the last few chapters of the book lost a bit of its steams but the principles it laid out are extremely valuable for all leaders of the church. A bit unsatisfying not because of what ...more
Lydia
This was a short and sweet read. Dever starts with describing a healthy church, then discusses the essential marks of a healthy church, and the important marks of a healthy church. I enjoyed how straight forward and practical this book was. I sincerely enjoyed the way he ended it. Dever writes, "Take care in how you propose change to your pastors. Pray, serve, encourage, set a good example in your own life, and be patient. A healthy church is less about a place that looks a certain way, and more ...more
Kyle Davies
The clarity and simplicity of the book makes this book very accessible. Great resource for an evaluation of church health.
Patrick Hamblin
Dever clearly and concisely lays out what he sees in the Bible as his 9Marks of a healthy church (Expositional preaching, biblical theology, biblical understanding of the gospel, conversion, and evangelism, biblical church membership, discipline, discipleship, and church leadership.)

He not only makes a good biblical case for each but also shows why it's important for the entire church to "image Christ."

Everyone would benefit by reading this, from the pew sitter to the church leader. Both ends
Mark A Powell
What is the church? How are God’s people supposed to live, work, and worship together? This book, which is an adaptation of his earlier Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, provides an accessible introduction to the key components and issues that must define the people of God. As Dever acknowledges, this list is not meant to be comprehensive but merely to highlight areas of modern-day deficiency among most churches. A worthwhile read, with much to consider.
Patrick
Very basic, solid thoughts and advice.
Vincent Ng
Short but excellent book on both what it means to be a healthy church and the marks that a prevalent in a healthy church. The chapters in the book are very direct and to the point which makes the book a simple and easy read for church members who have a concern for the health of their local church.
Ryan
Like Dever, a little dry
Angie Vallejo
This is a short and sweet, yet extremely informative "checklist" on what to look for in a healthy church. From the book I learned some things that I didn't know (such as difference between elders and deacons and their important roles and why membership is needed and important), and I was confirmed on things I knew I had been missing. If you are looking for confirmation on your church, or looking for a new home church, I would highly recommend this read.
Mark Clements
This was a very refreshing read. Dever's emphasis on the church was very encouraging. This is a book that would help any believer understand the importance of the church in his own life and in the Christian community. Our applications differ in a few areas but I really appreciated his Biblical emphasis. It's a great intro to the full-blown "9 Marks" book. I think this one will make it's way onto my "read it at least once every year" book list.
Rebekah Disch
We read this in our small groups, and it produced great discussions on what the Bible has laid out for the church to look like. He addresses difficult things that are not talked about much (i.e. church discipline), which is helpful. Of course, it's not a perfect representation, but overall, it gave me an appreciation for the church and how God designed it to be, and it encouraged me to be more aware of my responsibility to the local church body.
Apryl Anderson
this is good medicine. Dever covers 126 pages of what the apostle Paul said in a paragraph (1 Cor 12:18-21), but this is always a message that bears repeating. Why is it that division is the typical answer to people in disagreement? Why do the vast majority of people choose not to grow up? Can anyone read this book without a sense of personal conviction? This isn't a fun read, but it's clear truth, and I appreciate that.
Victor Chininin
An excellent book on the characteristics of a healthy church with great encouragement to how to patiently, prayerfully, and faithfully seek the healing of our churches. A book both for pastors and Christians in general (I would say that it wasn't a book for pastors). Dr. Dever said something that I hadn't quite seen put that way before about the gospel - that it is the Judge becoming the Father.
Adam T Calvert
This is a great primer on the subject of the book, and an easy but convicting read. Only 126 small pages it's easy to get through but Mark Dever does a wonderful job of showing from the Scriptures how a healthy church should truly look. I'd recommend it to anyone who has questions as to the Biblical soundness of their own church or to anyone thinking of switching to a different church.
Nicole
I really wish I had read this book about 10 years ago. Biblically based, it lays out the 9 marks of a healthy church: What to strive for, what are deal breakers, what to model in your own life, as well as a case for membership.

I highly recommend this book to anyone attending a Christian church, looking for a church, or starting their own church.
  • What Is a Healthy Church Member?
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • Church Planting Is for Wimps: How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches That Do Extraordinary Things
  • Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • The Master's Plan for the Church
  • Stop Dating the Church!: Fall in Love with the Family of God (Lifechange Books)
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
  • Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Churc
  • The Cross-Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • Rescuing Ambition
Mark Dever serves as the senior pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC. Since his ordination to the ministry in 1985, Dr. Dever has served on the pastoral staffs of four churches, the second being a church he planted in Massachusetts. Prior to moving to Washington in 1994, Dr. Dever taught for the faculty of Divinity at Cambridge University while serving two years as an associate ...more
More about Mark Dever...
Nine Marks of a Healthy Church The Gospel & Personal Evangelism The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel The Church: The Gospel Made Visible Preach: Theology Meets Practice